Mississipi Cruising Memphis/New Orleans

lyndarra

A few days ago I posted the following request for info on the New Orleans board but only received one, not very helpful, reply. So I'll try here.

We're from Down Under and we're considering a 9 day Mississippi R. cruise with the American Steamboat Company.

We would like to know what sort of weather to expect about October/November.

Also anything else we should know about this type of cruise? We have only ever done ocean cruising.

Thank y'all in advance.

My parents sailed them a lot when it was Delta Queen. I'd never do one myself but that's me. Almost zero kid friendly anything, and very little on board amenities over all. Weather wise it can be cold and rainy or chilly but sunny.

The river can dry out in spots making passage impossible or it can flood making it downright dangerous.

However if you are in to Samuel Clemens, it's perfect.

A few days ago I posted the following request for info on the New Orleans board but only received one, not very helpful, reply. So I'll try here.

We're from Down Under and we're considering a 9 day Mississippi R. cruise with the American Steamboat Company.

We would like to know what sort of weather to expect about October/November.

Also anything else we should know about this type of cruise? We have only ever done ocean cruising.

Thank y'all in advance.

At that time of year it can be almost anything weather wise. That is right in the middle of fall, and typically a wet time of year. Temperatures will probably me in the 50's to 70's though the later you get in November the colder it can be especially the further north you go.

I hate to be one of the traffic wardens here, but there is a forum for the American Steamboat company here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=775

Most likely to get answers there.

Thank you chengkp. I've gone and read every post there.

I see you as a virtual signpost rather than a traffic warden. Cheers.

At that time of year it can be almost anything weather wise. That is right in the middle of fall, and typically a wet time of year. Temperatures will probably me in the 50's to 70's though the later you get in November the colder it can be especially the further north you go.

Thank you. That must be why they have special pricing ATM, to fill the boat I s'pose. We would prefer warmer months but puts the price into the stratosphere for us when we add on flight costs. I guess we'll have to weigh that up against the, most likely once in a lifetime, experience of the Mighty Mississip.

lyndarra, regarding weather (not sure of your itinerary), but April/May and Oct/Nov are likely the best times to visit Memphis, TN. (I lived in Nashville for 5+ years). You won't experience uncomfortable hot (frequently 90+), and humid summer weather. It can be dry and sunny in Oct/Nov, with an increase of rain in November. The weather can change suddenly, so pack accordingly. Here is a forecast for November 2016, so depending on the week you will be in the South, high temps could average around mid 50s to high 60s, and lows from about 40 to 50 degrees: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/memphis-tn/38103/november-weather/351089

My parents cruised on the Delta Queen a few times and loved it! We were able to board with them and see the ship prior to disembarking from Cincinnati. And for their 50th anniversary, we treated them to a Big Band theme cruise that featured lots of dancing to their kind of music. There are no formal nights, and my Dad took a sports jacket.

The steamboat cruise will feature much in the way of history and regional cuisine (be sure to give the beignets a try!), and has 'riverlorians' who tell the stories of the towns and hamlets visited- providing daily lectures and one on one. They are very visible on the ship and will answer questions just about any time.

I recall that they have a library offering fiction and non-fiction books that I believe are set in the towns that you will visit. And there were bikes on board to use in the towns at your leisure.

If you like barbeque, be sure to try some in Memphis, I like the dry rub ribs. Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Hi I am Australian and did an American Queen cruise last December, Memphis to New Orleans. I loved the cruise, had a great time, you will see a few posts from me on the AQSC board.

Re Weather, Memphis was cool, probably 12-15 degrees. As we went down the river it got warm, into the 20s and we were in shorts most days and we did not have rain, we had very good weather. This was the first week in December and we also got a very good sale deal. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi I am Australian and did an American Queen cruise last December, Memphis to New Orleans. I loved the cruise, had a great time, you will see a few posts from me on the AQSC board.

Re Weather, Memphis was cool, probably 12-15 degrees. As we went down the river it got warm, into the 20s and we were in shorts most days and we did not have rain, we had very good weather. This was the first week in December and we also got a very good sale deal. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks jet. Were we are we're getting 15-17C during the day, even though it's sunny, but its feeling like Siberia, well not quite.

lyndarra, regarding weather (not sure of your itinerary), but April/May and Oct/Nov are likely the best times to visit Memphis, TN. (I lived in Nashville for 5+ years). You won't experience uncomfortable hot (frequently 90+), and humid summer weather. It can be dry and sunny in Oct/Nov, with an increase of rain in November. The weather can change suddenly, so pack accordingly. Here is a forecast for November 2016, so depending on the week you will be in the South, high temps could average around mid 50s to high 60s, and lows from about 40 to 50 degrees: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/memphis-tn/38103/november-weather/351089

My parents cruised on the Delta Queen a few times and loved it! We were able to board with them and see the ship prior to disembarking from Cincinnati. And for their 50th anniversary, we treated them to a Big Band theme cruise that featured lots of dancing to their kind of music. There are no formal nights, and my Dad took a sports jacket.

The steamboat cruise will feature much in the way of history and regional cuisine (be sure to give the beignets a try!), and has 'riverlorians' who tell the stories of the towns and hamlets visited- providing daily lectures and one on one. They are very visible on the ship and will answer questions just about any time.

I recall that they have a library offering fiction and non-fiction books that I believe are set in the towns that you will visit. And there were bikes on board to use in the towns at your leisure.

If you like barbeque, be sure to try some in Memphis, I like the dry rub ribs. Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Thanks jmf123, lots of good info, just what we're looking for - the cultural experience.

I can tolerate the cool climes but the wife is a hot house flower - :D. I think I would get into the history side of things and love to try different foods. Don't mind spicy, Cajun etc. I've seen some US BBQ programs on TV here and they have me salivating, all those ribs and rubs etc.

When ocean cruising I go for non fiction books and, as most of the ships are US based, the books in the libraries reflect this. BUT, a few times the books get taken away if there's a hint of Noro going around and I'm left with nothing to read.:eek:

if the itinerary you choose stops in Maysville KY, find some way to get a cab or something and go to Magee's. its maybe half an hour from the port or so but if you want regional cuisine, you MUST go and get a Transparent Pie.

this is the Bakery that George Clooney gets them shipped to him wherever he is on the planet. ( it is the hometown of Rosemary)

I prefer his Sour cream cookies but he's known for the transparent pies.

The Mississippi is a brown muddy river. It is interesting, but with colder days and grey skies in November, I'm not sure how appealing this cruise will be.

New Orleans is well worth a trip in and of itself. Might I suggest the Hotel Monteleone? This is a privately operated hotel - since 1886. It has a famous bar - The Carousel Bar, beautiful rooms, great service and it's in the French Quarter - perfect location.

For restaurants in New Orleans French Quarter:

Antoine's

Brennan's

Gallatoire's

Emeril's NOLA

K Paul's Kitchen

Broussard's

Acme Oyster

Muriel's Jackson Square

Make a reservation for dinner at any of the above. Many are also open for lunch.

For lunch, walk to Decatur street and stop in any restaurant that offers a Muffuletta - they are huge, 1/4 is typically the size of an extra large sandwich, so you can easily share 1/2.

Stop at Cafe Dumond for chickory coffee and beignets. Take a carriage ride from Jackson Square touring the whole French Quarter. Take a cooking class.

Rent a car and drive out to the River Road plantations (quick 40 minute highway drive with a brief time off the highway going along the River Road.) You can tour the various plantation homes and have lunch at them as many have a restaurant and gift shop onsite and the food is awesome.

Back in the French Quarter schedule an evening Ghost Tour, go down Bourbon Street and stop in and listen jazz. During the day, schedule a Cemetery tour - amazing!

Another day could be spent walking around in the Garden District. Stop in for lunch at The Commander's Palace.

I've been going to New Orleans since childhood and have still not seen/done it all. The place is magical!

Edited by SuiteTraveler