Clothing for Alaskan cruise first of august

Kdgisgr8

For those of you who have cruised the Seattle trip to Alaska, what are some must takes for clothing. We are cruising Norwegian so will not need the formal wear, but I'm trying to figure out clothes for the shore excursions. Thanks!

Be sure to also check out the Alaska Ports Of Call Board for additional information.

The key is to layer your clothing.

Alaskan weather is very unpredictable and history means nothing.

It could be sunny, cloudy, windy, rainy, warm, cool or a combination of all of this in one single day.

I would bring a water proof jacket ideally with a hood. We use a NorthFace Jacket. Then bring either a fleece, sweatshirt or sweater. Have short and long sleeve shirts. What you will wear and what you layer will depend on the weather for that day and you might be adding or removing clothing.

Waterproof pants are a good idea if you have them. Have a hat. We do bring gloves, particularly if sailing Glacier or Hubbard Bay.

Also don't forget having plenty of sun tan lotion.

Bring a pair of shorts. You just never know.

We just wear sports shoes. Some people wear waterproof shoes.

Keith

For those of you who have cruised the Seattle trip to Alaska, what are some must takes for clothing. We are cruising Norwegian so will not need the formal wear, but I'm trying to figure out clothes for the shore excursions. Thanks!

Bring clothes you can layer & rain gear. It's usually chilly near the glaciers if you go. It will be cool on deck in the evening too. Also August tends to be our rainy month and the southeast being a rainforest, well, you know what that means! ;) We're having a very nice summer so far! Enjoy your cruise!

The word is LAYERS. You never know what you may get. Have cruised here in the rain and last visit shocked everyone in Ketchikan when we brought the sun with us. Can change as the day progresses Do not bring heavy thick coats because they may serve no purpose and are a pain if it heats up. For me tee shirt next shirt above and then some form of light weight water resistant jacket works. A good walking shoe and a set of good sandals. They are good on deck and if you hit good weather in a town where you are not doing outdoorsy stuff.

Also remember you won't wash away. Son and I kayaked in pouring rain in Ketchikan on first Alaskan cruise, DW went shopping. I think we had more fun but not sure. She spent more.

Remember "layers"

We sailed at that time of year - and were in shorts in Vancouver and Skagway, light jackets in Icy Strait Point and Juneau, then more layers on deck for Hubbard Glacier. Funny part of this trip - only two of four suitcases (family of 4) made it to the ship and we discovered we could travel with much less than we thought.

It is true it is unpredictable as well as it can change in a minute. I also recommend a small umbrella for shore excursions for those huge downpours.

Three years ago we sat on our balcony in swimsuits while cruising Glacier Bay!

All three of our cruises to Alaska were at the end of July or first week of August. Waterproof shoes are great. Mine are Timberland oxfords. They're good for lots of walking/light hiking and dressy enough to wear with khakis to dinner.

I bought us heavyweight ponchos before our first cruise to Alaska. We used them on that one and on our other two cruises at least once. They're much better at keeping us dry than an umbrella would have been.

Remember...if you don't intend on hiking or doing other "outdoorsy" stuff, you really won't need "waterproof" stuff....If you DO plan on being out in the elements...plan accordingly!

I disagree. Unless you plan to stay indoors any time it rains, you should be prepared with a waterproof outer layer. Umbrellas are useless on a moving ship and an annoyance in crowded ports. It would be a shame to spend your glacier sailing day trying to view and take photos from a dirty window if you can be outside with a good waterproof jacket with a hood.

There's cheap "waterproof" and not-so-cheap "waterproof" made out of breathable but water-resistant modern fabrics (check out REI). You want the latter. Layered jacket systems also prepare you for any eventuality while saving the trouble of trying to mix and match items from multiple manufacturers.

Also, some folks will recommend jeans. Big mistake - denim once wet is useless in protecting against the elements. Perhaps adding climbing pants to your wardrobe including one convertible pair (that can be unzipped for shorts)

Alaskan weather is so unpredictable.

I ended up wearing shorts and a tank top in Juneau the summer of 2013, but wore multiple layers the same week of 2014.

Bring thin layers, that's the key. THIN layers.

Waterproof shoes may be essential too, depending on what excursions you're planning on doing :)

We always take our zippered jackets that has a lining that can be easily removed if we get warm.

We do have water proof shoes and do take small portable umbrellas for a shore. Hat and gloves are also good to take.

Layering is the key to Alaska.

We do take 1 pair of shorts -- yes there can be a day or 2 when you can wear them.

It does depend on what your plans are....a ski cap on deck during glacier bay cruising- I needed one and was from the North east...waterproof hiking boots if you are going adventurous- a rain jacket is a must. One pair of shorts/tee shirt- it can be warm. Light gloves too....

On our first Alaska cruise the rain came down in sheets while we were in Ketchikan. But we were prepared and enjoyed our shore excursion which took us through the rain forest and my wife got some great pictures of bears and eagles.

On our second Alaska cruise, the weather in Ketchikan was warm and sunny. We wore shorts and walked around town that day. Very enjoyable as well.

Cruising through Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier was very cold, but we were prepared for that as well.

All of the above advice is very good and doable. Alaska is amazing. Enjoy!