Federal grand jury summons

bbeapoz

Just my luck. I haven't been called for any jury duty for over 20 years. Received federal summons to report for jury duty on the day we leave for our RCCL Alaskan cruise. I put in my request for postponement two weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Needless to say I'm not showing up, I'm going to Alaska. I don't mind doing my civic duty but just not in July. I hope I hear something soon. Anyone have any experience with postponements.

One word of advise. Do not ignore a federal jury summons.

In your favor, a non-refundable vacation is an excuse....at least, for the extension. Unfortunately, you are stuck with the form. Most federal venues do not have a number to call.

I was summoned for Fed jury duty in February. Wrote a message explaining my conflict on the mail back paperwork. No phone number or person to call for response. Went back over the paperwork and found a site to login to. Entered name and juror number and a message showed "Dismissed from Jury Duty". Very fortunate.

Rick

Just my luck. I haven't been called for any jury duty for over 20 years. Received federal summons to report for jury duty on the day we leave for our RCCL Alaskan cruise. I put in my request for postponement two weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Needless to say I'm not showing up, I'm going to Alaska. I don't mind doing my civic duty but just not in July. I hope I hear something soon. Anyone have any experience with postponements.

Yeah...DO NOT LEAVE without proper communication! If it were me, I would call, repeatedly, any phone numbers you can find, and then get something in writing, i.e. e-mail, fax, overnight letter, etc.

You won't have any recourse for what they would consider a "vacation" reason.

I was summoned for Fed jury duty in February. Wrote a message explaining my conflict on the mail back paperwork. No phone number or person to call for response. Went back over the paperwork and found a site to login to. Entered name and juror number and a message showed "Dismissed from Jury Duty". Very fortunate.

Rick

Same situation for me, I was stressing, until I found the website and found I was dismissed. Make sure to make a copy of the dismissal, just in case.

Carol

I found a phone number ill call tomorrow. I do have a automated response that my request for postponement was received. They just haven't acted on it yet. I did explain my situation and offered to show airline and cruise tickets. I really want this settled so I can focus on the trip.

You have started the ball rolling but my question is did it come certified mail where you had to sign for it? If not, there is no way of proving you got the notice. Sometimes I have had letters show up two weeks late because the post office misdirected it. Just saying....

Edited by e2011

Nothing to worry about. I'm confident it will be postponed. When you call, just explain to the clerk that you wanted to see if there is anything else that you can do to get it resolved so that there will be no confusion on the day you are supposed to report.

Having received many subpoenas and jury notices since I retired as a police officer you will not have an issue. All the court personnel have been in the same situation.

I use to laugh when I was sitting in court and they went to schedule future dates for court appearances and some attorney would say, "oh I have another court commitment on that date", which usually meant "I am playing golf with the Governor" or "I am skiing in Switzerland."

If you don't hear anything a week or two out then send a certified letter advising the court of your plans and willingness to serve at some future date.

I have a jury notice sitting on my desk right now for a date when I plan to be out of town. I can call the Friday before to see if I have to come in. I can either send in the notice and ask for a postponement or I can take my chances that I won't be called and will be clear for the next year. I am rolling the dice and see what happens. It's worked every time for the last five years.

All I can say is good luck. We had our European vacation set to start on a Wed. Dh was supposed to report for jury duty on Mon. We figured they'd let him postpone. No such luck. The judge said the trial will be over in a day. Tues night I was sweating bullets until he got home. They ended up calling a deadlock on the jury at 8pm. I don't know what we would have done had that not happened.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So glad I'm ineligible for jury duty.

Don't count on it brother. I thought I was too. The court clerk almost fell out of his chair when he read my occupation on the jury pool list. I sent in my jury response with my occupation as the reason for the waiver but it was denied. Thankfully, Rhode Island went to a two day system where if you're not called after two days you go home. Under the old system, I would've sat there for two weeks. What defense attorney would allow a cop on their jury?

Welcome to Rhode island. :rolleyes:

Don't count on it brother. I thought I was too. The court clerk almost fell out of his chair when he read my occupation on the jury pool list. I sent in my jury response with my occupation as the reason for the waiver but it was denied. Thankfully, Rhode Island went to a two day system where if you're not called after two days you go home. Under the old system, I would've sat there for two weeks. What defense attorney would allow a cop on their jury?

Welcome to Rhode island. :rolleyes:

Yes, but not in Ontario.... the law says so... The courts know the law, right?????????????????

from the Juries Act..

Ineligibility to serve as juror

Ineligible occupations

3. (1) The following persons are ineligible to serve as jurors:

1. Every member of the Privy Council of Canada or the Executive Council of Ontario.

2. Every member of the Senate, the House of Commons of Canada or the Assembly.

3. Every judge and every justice of the peace.

4. Every barrister and solicitor and every student-at-law.

5. Every legally qualified medical practitioner and veterinary surgeon who is actively engaged in practice and every coroner.

6. Every person engaged in the enforcement of law including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, sheriffs, wardens of any penitentiary, superintendents, jailers or keepers of prisons, correctional institutions or lockups, sheriff’s officers, police officers, firefighters who are regularly employed by a fire department for the purposes of subsection 41 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, and officers of a court of justice. R.S.O. 1990, c. J.3, s. 3 (1); 1994, c. 27, s. 48 (1); 1997, c. 4, s. 82.

(2) Repealed: 1994, c. 27, s. 48 (2).

Yes, but not in Ontario.... the law says so... The courts know the law, right?????????????????

from the Juries Act..

Lucky for you. All I could think was I must have pissed off some court clerk along the way and that was their revenge. :D

Lucky for you. All I could think was I must have pissed off some court clerk along the way and that was their revenge. :D

Clerks are nice. They fill up the water pitcher when I'm on the stand.

Lawyers on the other hand........................

Clerks are nice. They fill up the water pitcher when I'm on the stand.

Lawyers on the other hand........................

Down here, many of our clerks are actually lawyers who sucked at practicing law. :D