Are Passports REALLY needed?

suebug17

I'm going on a 4 day cruise to Mexico in November. Do I really HAVE to have a passport? I won't be getting off the ship at all due to mobility problems, but the rest of my family will. We all have birth certificates and drivers licenses.

Anyone else travel with out a pass port? Thanks for your help.

I'm going on a 4 day cruise to Mexico in November. Do I really HAVE to have a passport? I won't be getting off the ship at all due to mobility problems, but the rest of my family will. We all have birth certificates and drivers licenses.

If you are a US citizen, and the cruise starts and ends at the same US port, all you need is a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Clarea covered it well. However, I'll just point out that, if something were to happen and you have to fly home from a foreign port, you'll HAVE to have a passport.

And, yes, some people just travel with their birth certificate and photo ID.

Clarea summarized it well that if you are a US citizen and it is a closed loop cruise, that is leaving from and returning to the same port, you don't need a passport. I want to add that if you did need a passport it wouldn't matter that you don't plan to leave the ship. As soon as the ship enters that country's waters passengers are in that country. So, if a passport were needed, the ship wouldn't let you board without one.

Clarea summarized it well that if you are a US citizen and it is a closed loop cruise, that is leaving from and returning to the same port, you don't need a passport. I want to add that if you did need a passport it wouldn't matter that you don't plan to leave the ship. As soon as the ship enters that country's waters passengers are in that country. So, if a passport were needed, the ship wouldn't let you board without one.

This is muy important, but it wouldn't apply to your particular cruise.

Could get a passport card. Friends have this as the only international travel they do is the three day cruise out of Los Angeles.

But yes, you could just use your birth certificate and Gov't ID.

Edited by SadieN

Always best to go ahead and get a US Passport.

Be happy you can. Many people in the world would kill to have one.

Too much depends upon the individual travelers needs, in some cases a passport is nothing but a waste of money. I live 8 miles from the border and know many people whose only travel is across that border frequently and they get by just fine with one of the alternatives to a passport. As long as one is willing to accept the low risk involved traveling without a passport is a legitimate choice.

OP, millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year with a birth certificate/government issued ID or other form of documentation without any issue whatsoever. As stated should something happen you won't be able to fly home without obtaining assistance from an Embassy or Consulate but only you can determine what the risk of that is and whether or not it's worth paying for a passport. (And I would recommend that you check with your cruise line since some cruise lines do impose stricter requirements than the government does, mostly premium or luxury lines.)

To all who posted comments about what you would do or all types of doomsday scenarios, You di not answer the OP's question. They did not ask for an opinion about what you would do, only wanted to know what is required.

Could get a passport card. Friends have this as the only international travel they do is the three day cruise out of Los Angeles.

But yes, you could just use your birth certificate and Gov't ID.

The passport card is $15 cheaper than a passport - but does not allow you to travel anywhere other than Canada and Mexico - and those two only by land - kind of silly.

The passport card is $15 cheaper than a passport - but does not allow you to travel anywhere other than Canada and Mexico - and those two only by land - kind of silly.

The passport card may also be used for sea ports of entry when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean and is a stand alone document that verifies citizenship and identification. Cost for a first time applicant is $55 which includes the processing fee and the renewal by mail is $30. One advantage to the card- should you need to enlist the help of the Embassy/Consulate they will already have your information on file making it easier for them to help you.

Edited by sparks1093

Where you absolutely need a passport is if you have a medical or other emergency requiring you to fly home. It won't happen without a passport.

Where you absolutely need a passport is if you have a medical or other emergency requiring you to fly home. It won't happen without a passport.

Normally true. But on this itin the foreign port, Ensenada, is only a four hour automobile trip from the home port of Los Angeles.

Edited by SadieN

Normally true. But on this itin the foreign port, Ensenada, is only a four hour automobile trip from the home port of Los Angeles.

Out of curiosity, if they had to drive back home from Ensenada into California can they go over the border without a passport? I could be wrong but thought that when crossing borders by car a passport card or passport book is required now

To the OP, is a passport required? No. Up to you what you are comfortable with

Personally i always travel with a passport. I have an aunt that is a retired travel agent and heard many stories about people traveling on cruises without passports and emergency situations, whether with the passengers on the ship or a situation at home. Enough that we don't travel without one

Edited by jonj

No, they cannot legally cross the border from Mexico into the US without a passport.

I live 8 miles from the northern border and several times per year someone will arrive at the border without the requisite documentation (loss or theft is usually the case) and it may take them a little longer to cross they ultimately are allowed across since there are no provisions in US law that gives CBP the authority to deny admittance to a US citizen.

I live 8 miles from the northern border and several times per year someone will arrive at the border without the requisite documentation (loss or theft is usually the case) and it may take them a little longer to cross they ultimately are allowed across since there are no provisions in US law that gives CBP the authority to deny admittance to a US citizen.

True -- but there are also no provisions in US law that requires CBP (or even PERMITS CBP) the authority to GRANT admittance to someone who is "... without the requisite documentation...".

True -- but there are also no provisions in US law that requires CBP (or even PERMITS CBP) the authority to GRANT admittance to someone who is "... without the requisite documentation...".

CBP officers enjoy wide discretion in the matter as a matter of policy. I've spoken to several over the years and if they can ascertain someone's US citizenship they will admit them. I highly doubt that they would do that if they didn't have the authority from somewhere. Of course if I had to leave the ship in Ensenada for some reason my first stop would be with the port agent.

I pay for trip insurance because of the unknowns. For the same reason, I carry my passport. "It'll never happen to me" is fine until it does. I'd rather not be stuck getting medical treatment in third-world country because I couldn't fly home.

Our friend was on a Mexican Rivera cruise and fell (does not drink) while in Mexico ... fractured/crushed hip, arm, & knee ... and had to be airlifted back to the US.

Fortunately, she & her husband had passports and insurance.

You never know what might happen!

No unless you have to fly home early for some reason in which case you will have to deal with US officials and get some sort of temporary documentation. Most of us who travel a lot have passports. In fact, my grandkids got them when they were 6 months old.

DON

To all who posted comments about what you would do or all types of doomsday scenarios, You di not answer the OP's question. They did not ask for an opinion about what you would do, only wanted to know what is required.
Once Post #2 was made, this thread could have been locked as clarea answered quite succinctly.

But this is CC, and how much fun would that be? :)