Best cruise line for casual dress?

cherryharley

Planning a cruise with my my daughter and son-in-law (mid 20's). We are very casual dressers - comfort rules. I own almost nothing but tee shirts and they go out in baggy shorts and pajamas all the time. I have heard that Holland America doesn't allow tee shirts in the evenings and some lines don't allow shorts in the main dining room. We would literally have to buy new clothes just for the cruise as she and I pretty much only wore dresses for her wedding. We are fine with skipping "formal night" dining.

Add to this the fact that we prefer a line that doesn't cater to children - no Disney cruise for us. We are casual but quiet.

What cruise lines would you suggest? I've cruised Carnival in the past (and next Carnival cruise is already booked) but wondering if there are other lines that they would enjoy more. Thanks for any input!

Both lines mentioned above (NCL & Carnival) will have lots of kids on board

OP said that they didn't want a cruiseline that caters to kids. You can minimize the effects of kids on board by cruising while school is in session.

OP said that they didn't want a cruiseline that caters to kids. You can minimize the effects of kids on board by cruising while school is in session.

all the mainstream lines cater to kids. but Windstar is very casual and does not.. but I would not consider them a mainstream line per se.

OP: sun dresses and maxi dresses are also very comfy and perfectly acceptable. I wear them exclusively( I loathe shorts). a Single pair of khakis and a couple of polo shirts for the guys will not break the bank and can be very comfy as well.

as for 'comfort ruling' well with some judicious shopping ALL styles can be comfortable. my Formal gown is a Jersey Knit yet has a nice bling attached to it that dresses it up nicely.

cruise ships are not Walmart where PJ bottoms are acceptable

Acceptable to whom? Believe me, I cannot stand people wearing their PJ's out of their homes, including on cruise ships, but they do it. More and more all the time. Last cruise on Celebrity in 2014 saw plenty of them out and about. Same with our most recent cruise on Carnival.

OP : based on what you are looking for, I too would suggest stick to Carnival or try NCL. Both are quite casual. To avoid a ton of kids, book at least a 7 night sailing and when kids are in school. This will not completely eliminate them but should drastically decrease their numbers.

all the mainstream lines cater to kids. but Windstar is very casual and does not.. but I would not consider them a mainstream line per se.

OP: sun dresses and maxi dresses are also very comfy and perfectly acceptable. I wear them exclusively( I loathe shorts). a Single pair of khakis and a couple of polo shirts for the guys will not break the bank and can be very comfy as well.

as for 'comfort ruling' well with some judicious shopping ALL styles can be comfortable. my Formal gown is a Jersey Knit yet has a nice bling attached to it that dresses it up nicely.

Perhaps I can convince them to leave the PJs in the cabin. :-)

I think sun dresses would be a good choice for me.

Sounds like if we try a line other than Carnival it should be NCL as Windstar would be out of our price range.

Thank you for the input!

We line NCL's dress code, and it's great for teens. Yes, dd19 was in the buffet in her pajama pants a few years ago grabbing a late breakfast, and ds18 has two looks at high school - button down with khakis, or lounge pants and tshirts (once a week). Dd19 is away at a huge public university - I don't even think she showers daily!

I know I'm an old curmudgeon, but I just don't get why the younger generation thinks it OK to go out in public in pajamas. Where is the pride in your appearance? I don't think it's only about comfort, but laziness. It's just easy to roll out of bed and go to the mall or restaurant wearing your PJ's. And I don't care what cruise line you're on, I don't see them allowing PJ's in the dining room or show lounges. You can be VERY comfortable without looking like an unfortunate homeless person. Nice slacks, collared t-shirt, capri pants, or sundresses are very comfortable.

NCL allows pretty much anything in the dining rooms -for some a matched set of pajama top and bottom would have been dressier than some of the outfits I've seen.

Planning a cruise with my my daughter and son-in-law (mid 20's). We are very casual dressers - comfort rules. I own almost nothing but tee shirts and they go out in baggy shorts and pajamas all the time. I have heard that Holland America doesn't allow tee shirts in the evenings and some lines don't allow shorts in the main dining room. We would literally have to buy new clothes just for the cruise as she and I pretty much only wore dresses for her wedding. We are fine with skipping "formal night" dining.

Add to this the fact that we prefer a line that doesn't cater to children - no Disney cruise for us. We are casual but quiet.

What cruise lines would you suggest? I've cruised Carnival in the past (and next Carnival cruise is already booked) but wondering if there are other lines that they would enjoy more. Thanks for any input!

Pretty broad-based definition of "casual." On premium and luxury lines, you would definitely feel out of place.

I have cruised Royal 3 times and spend most of the times dressed like a Hawaiian hobo. They don't really care about dress code aside from the main dining room and formal night. Even on formal night I don't see that many tuxedos. Its mostly button-down shirts and slacks.

We enjoy both Carnival and NCL. For me casual during sea days is shorts, a Tee, and flip flops. But my casual attire is clean and neat. At dinner I wear either slacks or jeans with a nice polo or button up shirt and boots. I always get a lot of compliments on my cowboy boots during a cruise. (And a occasional frown!) My wife usually wears capris and a nice casual dress for dinner and the evening. But to each there own. You pay your money, you wear what you want. But some nice clothes that are neat and yet comfortable would be enjoyable. A couple of changes is really all that is needed. After dinner and an evening show you can always go back and change into comfortable deck attire and go out on deck or to the pool/hot tub, or have a drink on the lido. Enjoy your cruise!

Windstar isn't "casual" in the shorts, t-shirts, and PJ's realm. Jeans and shorts are not allowed in the evening and they will and do turn people who can't figure out how to dress like an adult away.

Casual in the evening in Windstar mean's casual in the sophisticated Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren sense of the term, not the WalMart sense of the term. I would add that people who dress like that would probably not enjoy a line like Windstar. Dress codes are enforced and they wouldn't find belly flop or hairy chest contests or drunken pier walks to Senor Frogs. :eye roll:

I provided one reply which resulted in no comment but I think it applies so I'll try to rephrase

"casual" has context ....

sometimes 'casual' is tee shirt and flip flops ... certainly for by backyard BBQ

sometimes casual is a sport coat but no tie - CUNARD or similar "fine" cruise lines, or restaurants ... yes there are still places that require a jacket . . . .

sometimes casual is chinos and a polo shirt (for men) [ WINDSTAR and river cruises IMO ] (we are talking about DINNER wear BTW .... not what is required sitting around the pool)

consider this .... if you are going to attend a wedding and the invitation says "casual dress" ..... what would you wear?

In MY crowd that would be chinos and a polo

would it be a tee and flip flops in yours? For a WEDDING?

In MY crowd t and flips is BEACH WEAR . . .

NOT trying to establish rules or standards ... just sayin'

I'm not sayin' NCL is OK with T and flippies in the MDR ... but others may be . . .

There WAS a cruise line for the tee and flip flop crowd a while back .... WINDJAMMER BAREFOOT CRUISES. But when they lost one of their vessels by sailing into a hurricane with loss of life ... they kinda fell out of business.

there may be a new company using the name . . . btw

Edited by Capt_BJ

I suggest NCL because they have Freestyle dining. There is NO formal evenings. You don't eat with strangers. You have a table of your own. You don't have to eat at the early or late set time. You eat when you feel like it. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this.

You need to try an NCL cruise. Very casual but friendly passengers.