shore tours in Russia

lions57

We used Alla Tours 2 day grand Tour in August 2015 when visiting St Petersburg on Queen Elizabeth. Their communication was excellent prior to the visit, and the organisation of the two days was even better. We have already left our thoughts on "TripAdvisor" but to re-iterate it was all first class. The tour guide was fluent and fluid in English and embellished the history and commentary with her own experiences of growing up in St Petersburg which made the tour even more interesting. We were a small group of 12 (initially unknown to each other but quickly became one) in a minibus which made the experience special. I cannot speak highly enough of this company and without hesitation recommend it to others. We want to return to St Petersburg to visit other parts (2 days was not enough!) and will be using Alla Tours again when we do.

​We were last in this beautiful city two years ago and used Alla Tours, after much research on the Internet, Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor, for a 2 day Comfort Tour, which we and our two friends thoroughly enjoyed..

We had another Baltic Cruise and again booked the 2 day Comfort Tour in St. Petersburg with Alla Tours.

This time we were with our son, his wife and three grandchildren aged 10, 7, and the youngest who is nearly 5.

This tour is at a pace that's easy for young, old and disabled.​ I have a mobility scooter.

Day 1

On the first morning we were met at the ship by our Guide Sophia at 8.30am. We were taken to our mini bus and joined by 4 other people, making us a party of 8 Adults and 3 children. Our driver was very nice and put my scooter in the back of the minibus. We were also given a very well presented informative booklet on the history of St. Petersburg which makes a very nice keepsake.

Bottles of water were available, and free, on both days.

We were taken on a drive showing some of the City highlights with short walks and picture stops.

We were then taken for a subway ride. Unfortunately I couldn't do this as there were quite a lot of steps down into the station and a steep escalator to the platform, and although I can walk a little way, Sophia advised that it would not be suitable for me.

Everyone who went said the station was beautiful with chandeliers, carvings and statues. They then went on a train ride for one stop. Everyone was so thrilled and spoke non stop about this experience.

Last time we went by hydrofoil to Peterhof, but it was nice, this time, to go by road, see the scenery, beautiful houses, buildings, Parks, etc. The ride took about an hour from the City, and our Guide pointed out all the interesting things along the way and the time just whizzed by.

Although, being August, there were a lot of tourists, it was easy to get around and see all the beautiful, magical fountains and gardens in brilliant sunshine.

We all thoroughly enjoyed our time at Peterhof as did the children, and didn't want to leave, but it was almost lunchtime.

We were taken to a beautiful building for lunch about 10 minutes away from Peterhof. This was set in lovely grounds. There were a few steps to go up into the restaurant but it was so elegant, very clean and worth it. We had a set traditional meal which consisted of a salad, soup, chicken and potatoes, dessert and a drink. Toilets were down a set of stairs but very clean.

After lunch we went to Tsars Village and then went to St. Catherines Palace. Again just a few steps up into the Palace. Inside the Palace I was told I had to use one of the wheelchairs they provided, as it had special wheels designed not to damage the floors. My scooter was left in a secure room with attendants.

The Palace has a wow factor about it, and Sophia gave us a very interesting tour pointing out and explaining what we were seeing. The Amber Room is smaller than you think but it is stunning.

After our visit to the Palace it was time to go back to the ship. On the way we stopped for a short while at a Souvenir shop where we had to pay for the tour. It was the same shop as on our previous tour, but much extended and we did purchase some presents to take home at good prices.

Day 2

We met at 7.30am and were taken through the City to go on a boat trip. Again a few steps to get on and off the boat. The boat ride was a lot longer this time and we saw St. Petersburg from the river. The buildings and architecture along the route are beautiful.

After the boat ride we were then taken to the Hermitage. Again steps up into the building, but I could use my scooter in here.

We were shown a lot of paintings, sculptures etc. by famous artists and Sophia spoke about every one we stopped at.

We were worried that the children might be bored as we spent 2.5 hours here, but they were very well behaved and interested.

We had lunch in a Stolle Pie Restaurant. Again very clean and the food consisted of a salad, soup, a meat pie and an apple pie, wine, water and coffee. This again was a traditional set menu and the pies were almost en croute in appearance. The food was well presented, very tasty, and the service was excellent. Here the toilets were at ground level and again very clean.

After lunch we went to the beautiful Church on the Blood. Easy access for wheelchairs and mobility scooters. Being a small party, it was easy to see everything, and Sophia again gave us a lot of information.

We then went to St Peter & Paul Fortress which is now a Museum of History and the Cathedral which is the oldest in St. Petersburg with a beautiful interior.

After we left here we were then given the chance to shop and walk on Nevsky Prospect, which is the very busy, vibrant main street, but by this time our party were a little exhausted and we drove around instead. What did strike us was that a lot of the shops were "Designer" shops, Gucci. Chanel, Guess, to give a few examples.

It was now time to go back to the ship and to say Goodbye to the beautiful, fascinating, interesting, St. Petersburg.

SUMMARY. Our Guide, Sophia, from Alla Tours, was excellent and amazing with her knowledge of everywhere we went and everything we saw in St. Petersburg.

Our driver was also very nice, very helpful putting the scooter in the back of the minibus whenever necessary, and spoke very good English.

They both understood our needs and were always happy, smiling, kind and informative. Nothing was too much trouble.

Our 3 grandchildren were very good and also loved the experience of what we saw and did. They particularly loved the fountains at Peterhof and the beauty of St. Catherine's Palace.

We thought the children might be bored at the Hermitage, but they were very well behaved and the two older children were very interested in the works of art.

The food and service in the 2 restaurants was excellent.

I have in the past and will continue to recommend

Alla Tours.

They are an excellent Company to deal with. Everything is carried out on-line. They respond quickly to any questions you may have. They make the tours enjoyable and have exceptionally knowledgeable Guides. They are very helpful with their advice and have your best interests in mind.

Although I am disabled I can walk a little bit and on this tour there are stairs up and down in certain places which wouldn't be suitable if you cant walk a little. Have no fear as Alla Tours will certainly advise on the best tour to suit your needs.

We also booked a 2 Day St. Petersburg tour with Alla while we were on a cruise in the Baltic with Princess. It was absolutely outstanding!! The registration process was simple and all the documents with handled for us (immigration, visas, etc.) We had a fabulous small group excursion with 10 people and an outstanding tour guide that provided tons of insights into the daily life plus the historical aspects. She tailored the tour to ensure that we saw all the sights of the city at the best times (fewest crowds, potential weather impact). We also did an evening Russian folk program which was fabulous! By the end of the 2 day tour, we were exhausted from seeing so much but absolutely thrilled with our experience with Alla. Would highly recommend to anyone considering a tour in St. Petersburg.

We booked a 3 day tour of St Petersburg with Alla Tours in August after recommendation from a friend. It turned out to be an amazing experience. The booking process from the Alla Tours website was easy with all questions answered efficiently and professionally. Our guide and driver were excellent, everything ran on time, pickup and dropoff went seamlessly each day and our minibus was comfortable and an easy way for our small group to get around the city.

We saw all the major tourist attractions in St Petersburg with our very informative and entertaining guide. Times were organised to avoid crowds where possible and everything was done to make our days extremely enjoyable. Lunches was provided each day at a different venue showing us a variety of local dishes.

From conversations we had with other passengers we concluded that our tour was superior and considerably more reasonably priced than other tours.

We thoroughly recommend Alla Tours.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a single-digit poster, but I selected Alla after reading input from this site and Tripadvisor, so I'll share some of my experience in case they help anyone else.

My family used Alla tours during our Baltic cruise this summer and it was, by far, the best decision we made. We had tours in Berlin, Tallin, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen and Stockholm. The guides were knowledgeable, engaging and enthusiastic. The Alla tours bested any ship excursion offering for several reasons, including price and group size. While the ship excursions had groups of 40 or more, Alla capped its numbers to between 16 and 26, depending on the city. The biggest group we had was 21 in Berlin. It makes a huge difference when you're navigating popular attractions. We covered more ground than the ship excursions, made more stops and had more access to/personal attention from our guides. My family (five people) used a private guide in St. Petersburg and we all agreed it was a fabulous decision. We got to choose when we took breaks, what we saw, how long we stayed, etc. Our guide and driver took us to a small, traditional Russian restaurants for lunch and several other places that people on our boat never saw. It cost more than a group tour run by Alla, of course, but it wasn't that much more than the group excursion organized by the ship. If we had gone with the ship tour, we never would have had such a personalized experience or seen as much. We all agreed it was worth the extra expense.

To be honest, some members of my family were nervous about using a private tour company instead of the ship excursions. They worried about missing the boat if the private tour group returned us late or, worse, never showed up in port at all. After working with Alla to plan our itinerary, I had no such fears. The answered all my questions promptly, matched their competitors' price quotes and kept me informed of any changes to the itinerary. (For example, construction on the autobahn required our tour to be cut short 30 minutes and Alla notified me about the change ahead of time.) They were professional, communicative and genuinely interested in giving my family the best vacation possible. They played a large part in our incredible vacation. I cannot recommend them enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Want to report on the excellent Tour and Tour Guides provided by Alla Tours on my recent trip to St. Petersburg. Denis from Alla Tours was my contact and he was very helpful in setting up my two-day tour there. The transportation was very comfortable and the tour schedule helped us avoid the crowds in certain venues. We were not rushed, but we had appropriate time at the various places we visited.

The Hermitage tour was a highlight, as we entered the museum before the crowds of tourists arrived. We were always ahead of the crowd, so we were able to see many of the special exhibits close up and could take excellent pictures of the paintings, furniture and other exhibits without people being in the way.

The fountains at Peterhof and Catherines's Palace, including its Amber Room, were special places to visit on the second day. Again, the tour guide was extremely valuable which guaranteed our enjoyment of the visit to this very special city in Russia.

Alla's professional tour booklet of what we were going to see, along with a genealogy of the Czars, was both an excellent souvenir plus a practical addition with the name of our guide and cell phone for any emergencies. The cost of the Alla tour was very reasonable and provided a touring experience that one could not get either on your own or on a large crowd. Thanks again to Denis and all the staff at Alla Tours! I rate Alla as 11 on a scale of 1 to 10 - they are over the top.

I would be very reluctant to put much faith in reviews based on posts from single and double digit contributors.

I'm more inclined to look at the quality of the review than the number of posts from the same poster. Lots of detail explaining why someone felt their experience was successful (or unsuccessful) gives me a chance to figure out if the things that matter to a poster -- no matter how many or few posts -- matter to me. If you have any doubt, just look at post #54, ShirleyUK's third CC post. That's a review you can believe!

There are some posters with staggering posting numbers who answer virtually every thread even if their posts often begin with, "I don't know, but I'm guessing..."

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Hi

We sail on the Celebrity Eclipse in August. We think the 2 day Alla Grand Tour has a fantastic (if exhausting) itinerary as it includes both the Yusupov Palace and an inside visit to the cathedral at the Peter and Paul Fortress. TJ Tours do the exact same tour and both have excellent reviews. Think we'll book with Alla as it was the first one we saw that ticked all the boxes. Love the idea of a maximum of 16 on the bus!

I have to say that the approach centered on the number of posts puzzles me. Is my understanding correct that posts # 1-99 made by 3-, 4- and 5-digit contributors should be regarded as less valid than those they wrote later? Seems complicated to me …:(

It *suggests* that they are planted/orchestrated responses by perhaps the company themselves. Not saying they are but it is curious...and perhaps taking them with a grain of salt is best.

It *suggests* that they are planted/orchestrated responses by perhaps the company themselves. Not saying they are but it is curious...and perhaps taking them with a grain of salt is best.

Without a doubt its wise to be extremely sceptical about tour operator recommendations (though not necessarily other info / advice) from single-digit, mebbe double-digit, posters.

I've checked the posting history of some with just a few posts on various CC forums, especially the Asian board. When you get someone with just a dozen posts to their name on a dozen threads - with every post recommending a particular tour operator - it doesn't need a Sherlock Holmes to figure they're plants ;)

Which is a shame with Alla, TJ & others who are the subjects of such dubious posts, because they're not needed - they, and all other operators in St Pete's, get plenty of genuine good reviews. We were very happy with our Alla tour, but I'm pretty certain we'd have been equally happy with one of the others. :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Interesting. I typically think of the planted review as one that is off-the-charts complimentary, usually with little supporting detail. (Often the hyperbolic post is also filled with the grammar mistakes or misuse of English idiom.)

The posts in this thread from low count posters are so mild that they absolutely don't set off alarms in my mind. I've seen the same things written in too many posts by writers who are clearly the real deal.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not encouraging you to stop using the system that makes you happy when choosing tour companies. I am simply trying to help new posters on this board get a sense of what is or isn't a planted review. In my opinion, few -- if any -- of the posts in this thread are plants.

Interesting. I typically think of the planted review as one that is off-the-charts complimentary, usually with little supporting detail. (Often the hyperbolic post is also filled with the grammar mistakes or misuse of English idiom.)

The posts in this thread from low count posters are so mild that they absolutely don't set off alarms in my mind. I've seen the same things written in too many posts by writers who are clearly the real deal.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not encouraging you to stop using the system that makes you happy when choosing tour companies. I am simply trying to help new posters on this board get a sense of what is or isn't a planted review. In my opinion, few -- if any -- of the posts in this thread are plants.

I agree - I find the same misuse of idioms/grammar in fraudulent posts (especially on TripAdvisor) & I also don't believe that any of the posts on this particular thread are "plants". I have just looked at some of the other posts by members with low posting counts and almost all have also posted on the roll call on which they sailed. Some of the newer members to Cruise Critic simply are not as prolific as some of the more frequent posters on the forums. I don't feel that this makes their posts any more or less valid than my or any other posts.

I believe that many of the tour operators encourage their clients to post on Cruise Critic after they have completed their Baltic cruise - I know that this was the case with my first cruise to Russia with Alla & also know it to be true of the other major players in St. Petersburg (TJ and SPB). Like I said in a previous post - check out the following thread where you will find members with similar low level posts extolling the virtues of (mainly) TJ tours - I also don't find this thread suspect:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254459

Edited by dogs4fun

I believe that many of the tour operators encourage their clients to post on Cruise Critic after they have completed their Baltic cruise - I know that this was the case with my first cruise to Russia with Alla & also know it to be true of the other major players in St. Petersburg (TJ and SPB). Like I said in a previous post - check out the following thread where you will find members with similar low level posts extolling the virtues of (mainly) TJ tours

Whilst we seem to be disagreeing, I think we're actually on the same wavelength ;)

You & I just have a grammatical difference over the word "plant", which I take to include operators "encouraging" genuine satisfied clients to post, as well as false recommendations.

It slants figures in favour of those leaning on their clients, whereas I believe happy clients shouldn't need such encouragement. I've been pleased to recommend Alla without any of that nonsense.

Perhaps its a Brit trait vs an American trait. ;)

Regards

I'm more inclined to look at the quality of the review than the number of posts from the same poster. Lots of detail explaining why someone felt their experience was successful (or unsuccessful) gives me a chance to figure out if the things that matter to a poster -- no matter how many or few posts -- matter to me. If you have any doubt, just look at post #54, ShirleyUK's third CC post. That's a review you can believe!

There are some posters with staggering posting numbers who answer virtually every thread even if their posts often begin with, "I don't know, but I'm guessing..."

Agreed, everyone begins with a first post and it may be legitimate, objective, and informative. However, when I see multiple single or low double digit posts in a thread I read them with a grain of salt. It is unfortunate that people feel the need to manipulate what for many of us is a valuable resource.

Regards

I honestly never considered practices in US vs. UK (or anywhere else, for that matter) - you may have a point. Since I frequently travel, I often receive requests for reviews on hotels at which I have stayed, restaurants at which I've eaten, shows/musicals I've attended, etc. I don't know if you use sites such as Open Table, Booking.com, Center for Performing Arts, etc., but once I have completed the specific activity, I receive an email asking for a review. So, perhaps due to conditioning, I find a request for a review the norm.

Edited by dogs4fun

Whilst we seem to be disagreeing, I think we're actually on the same wavelength ;)

You & I just have a grammatical difference over the word "plant", which I take to include operators "encouraging" genuine satisfied clients to post, as well as false recommendations.

It slants figures in favour of those leaning on their clients, whereas I believe happy clients shouldn't need such encouragement. I've been pleased to recommend Alla without any of that nonsense.

Yes, we're on the same wavelength, but you've added a new issue by choosing the word "grammar." An American English speaker would use the word "semantic" rather than "grammatical" to reflect a difference in the way we use words. Since we're actually in agreement on the substance of the issue, let's simply ignore the word difference.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to clarify what I mean when I use the word "plant" since it is different from your definition. To be a plant, a tour operator would have to play a more active role in getting reviews to appear in a forum like Cruise Critic or in Trip Advisor. A tour operator would have to do more than the encouraging a client to write a review, or even providing a link within the tour company's web site, to rise to the level of planting.

I think this is an important distinction. After all, a tour operator can encourage me as long as he/she has the stamina to continue to do so, but unless I am interested in writing a review, it's not going to happen. However, when somone who stands to profit from a good review authors a review, that's a plant.

Yes, we're on the same wavelength, but you've added a new issue by choosing the word "grammar." An American English speaker would use the word "semantic" rather than "grammatical" to reflect a difference in the way we use words. Since we're actually in agreement on the substance of the issue, let's simply ignore the word difference. Basically, it boils down to where on a continuim you and I would label something a plant.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to clarify what I mean when I use the word "plant". As far as I'm concerned, to be a plant a tour operator would have to play a more active role in getting reviews to appear in a forum like Cruise Critic or in Trip Advisor. Simply encouraging a client to write a review, or even providing a link within the tour company's web site, doesn't rise to the level of planting.

I think this is an important distinction. After all, a tour operator can encourage me as long as he/she has the stamina to continue to do so, but unless I am interested in writing a review, it's not going to happen. However, when somone who stands to profit from a good review authors a review, that's a plant.

I've seen testimonials on at least one SPB tour web site that appear to have resulted from the tour operator prompting or reminding the customer to publish their review. I've been asked to do the same by private tour companies or guides and even local businesses that compete with other businesses for customers.

As long as the request is neither high pressure nor attempting to offer me anything in exchange for a good review, I've no problem with it. I believe most of the low-digit posters here and on sites like TripAdvisor were simply asked to provide reviews if thy liked the tour/guide.

As someone else said, I'm more interested in the usefulness of the review than whether the viewer initiated it on their own or subsequent to a request to do so. I don't pay much attention to reviews that praise or criticize, but don't provide what seems like credible information to support their opinion. It doesn't matter how many posts the person has.

Edited by gbp

• 3 months later...

We Re travelling 23rd July till 4th August and have a good recommended St petersburg tour group offering intensive 2 day tour but priced at $450 each as 2 of us

If anyone wold join us cost falls significantly

Let me know if anyone revelling in this cruise may want to join us

PW

We Re travelling 23rd July till 4th August and have a good recommended St petersburg tour group offering intensive 2 day tour but priced at $450 each as 2 of us

If anyone wold join us cost falls significantly

Let me know if anyone revelling in this cruise may want to join us

PW

you need to post this in your roll call for your sailing as that is where you will find potential tour mates

• 2 weeks later...

I hope my grammar is ok. I am desperately trying to find out just how strenuous the 2d grand tour with Alla is. I am unfit and overweight but I am able to walk reasonably well, just a little slower than some. I have 5 w to get more fit. Should I go for the less interesting comfort tour instead?

I hope my grammar is ok. I am desperately trying to find out just how strenuous the 2d grand tour with Alla is. I am unfit and overweight but I am able to walk reasonably well, just a little slower than some. I have 5 w to get more fit. Should I go for the less interesting comfort tour instead?

I booked the Grand Tour in 2011 and it was great. Long days but the itinerary is interspersed with periods of rest so you are not embarking on a marathon walking tour. The longest walks would be the Hermitage with slow walking and viewing (because it is so huge and you will be touring from room to room) & Peterhof Park (again, it is not a marathon walk nor is the pace fast).

I remember that there was a smoker in our group who seemed to need a "fix" about every hour (smoking is not allowed in the tour bus, museums or restaurants so he was 'hurting'). He was seriously out of shape & at some stops (I particularly remember Yusupov Palace) he simply stayed outside to smoke while his wife toured.

I've since been back to St. Petersburg for extended visits - I still tend to cram-in very long days on my own. I think you will be fine on the Grand Tour provided that you don't have mobility limitations (use a walker or wheelchair) - if you get tired, just ask your guide where you can rest while the others tour - I am certain it will be no problem to sit on a bench or wait in the bus.

If you want more detailed information on the Grand Tour, feel free to email me (my email is included in my signature below).

Edited by dogs4fun

Thank you so much for the info. I managed to walk in excess of 10km in Lisbon recently. Hilly place. Lots of breaks of course. I don't use any walking aids so I will go for it.

Thanks again. I was unable to "open" the email. I am technically challenged according to hubby.

If you recently walked 10km in Lisbon, the Grand Tour with Alla will seem like a piece of cake.

We did the Grand Tour with Alla last summer and Dogs4fun described it pretty well. While there are not a lot of long distances to walk, there is a lot of standing around in the museums. If you have trouble standing for long periods of time, just ask your guide where you can sit for awhile. And the walking/standing is broken up with plenty of sitting on the bus or sitting on the hydrofoil or sitting on the subway or sitting on the river cruise boat.

I think you'll do fine. You'll love the Grand Tour--it was great!