Fjord Cruise Via Koningsdam

Good evening...DH and I will be sailing the fjords this summer on HAL's new ship. We have a few questions and are hoping the experienced group here may have some answers/ideas for us...we will be stopping in Oslo, Kristansund, Stavanger and Flam.

For Stavanger, we would love to go up to Pulpit Rock, but our knees won't handle the hike.:( We have two other options that we know of to see it....a 3-hour HAL excursion where the brochure says we will "see it from a distance" or a AAA tour (also 3-hours, but doesn't say how we will see it; only that we will see it) at 1/2 the price and without the waffles. Thoughts? Do we have any other options? We also want to see the Sword in the Rock monument, which says it is 6km from Stavanger's city center. We will definitely have the time; is it as simple as booking a taxi to take us there?

In Flam, we definitely want to take the the railway....should we book through HAL or is it possible to book once we get there--it says the railway is not exclusive to HAL so we don't want to miss out on the train possibly being full. Does anyone know the price of booking the train directly?

Your thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated....thank you!

CiCi

Are you on the July sailing? Be aware most people are reporting the flam railway is sold out, so you may need to book with Hal. We are on the 3rd July sailing and booked our rail tickets in December. If a later sailing checkout visitflam.com to buy tickets

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Are you on the July sailing? Be aware most people are reporting the flam railway is sold out, so you may need to book with Hal. We are on the 3rd July sailing and booked our rail tickets in December. If a later sailing checkout visitflam.com to buy tickets

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks for your message and advice...I went ahead and booked the HAL tour while I research other options....always easier to cancel a booking than not have a tour at all. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We had those same four ports recently and we ended up doing HAL tour in each port. It was hard to find options for any alternatives partly as we were ahead of the main tourist season. It did cost us a fortune but we have no regrets. All the tours were excellent with really good guides.

In Flam we did book the Flam railway ourselves early on and did a tour in the morning to Tavinde waterfalletc. In Stavanger my husband did the Pulpit Rock climb while I did the cruise. In the afternoon I enjoyed wandering about the town by myself. In Kristiansand we went on the cruise to Lillesand and it was really good. Olso requires a lot more than one day so you have to pick what most interests you. We had a couple of hours walking around in the morning and you must not miss the Town Hall. Then we did the trip to Drobak and the Vigeland Sculture Park. That enabled us to see the countryside and we also learnt a lot about the war history.

I fell in love with Norway, partly as we were blessed with wonderful weather ( about the same as here today, where it is mid-winter!)

Good evening...DH and I will be sailing the fjords this summer on HAL's new ship. We have a few questions and are hoping the experienced group here may have some answers/ideas for us...we will be stopping in Oslo, Kristansund, Stavanger and Flam.

For Stavanger, we would love to go up to Pulpit Rock, but our knees won't handle the hike.:( We have two other options that we know of to see it....a 3-hour HAL excursion where the brochure says we will "see it from a distance" or a AAA tour (also 3-hours, but doesn't say how we will see it; only that we will see it) at 1/2 the price and without the waffles. Thoughts? Do we have any other options? We also want to see the Sword in the Rock monument, which says it is 6km from Stavanger's city center. We will definitely have the time; is it as simple as booking a taxi to take us there?

CiCi

If you take a fjord cruise 2.5 - 3 hours this is the view of Pulpit rock you will get.

5bc3066c42a1a4ad822d642d0d9ae5d7.jpg

See this thread for more info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2364334

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk