Fanning Island

terkatz56

• 1 month later...

Was there a few weeks ago. No organized excursions--you just walk around and talk to the people. They set up a craft market near the tender pier. The children are generally off school when a ship is in, and so you'll get a chance to meet them. It's nice to bring them pencils or sweets.

There is a swimming beach, though it's on the opposite side of the island from where the tenders come in. But that's not a far walk. It's decent for swimming. Neither wonderful nor awful.

Keep in mind that this is a place with no running water or electricity, save for a couple of generators. They had internet last year at the school, but not anymore. Their contact with the outside world is limited to 3 to 4 cruise ships a year and 3 to 4 supply ships a year.

That being said, the people are quite charming.

• 1 month later...

We visited Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati several years ago as part of our Hawaii cruise. The Island people are wonderful. All food and drink was brought ashore from our ship. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the ocean water and we spent quite a bit of time in it. However, you had to walk out forever it seemed to get even knee high! We have a beautiful picture of children and adults dancing in grass skirts and wonderful memories of Fanning. :D School supplies are very much appreciated. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Fanning Island offers beautiful handmade crafts. Take some dollars with you and get off the ship as soon as you can because people buy things by the armful. Prices are extremely reasonable and are such nice quality that people buy them for gifts to take home.

There's not a lot to do here. You can walk around their homes and see how they live (very simply).

My husband and I did swim but most did not. Keep in mind that they have no bathrooms, so guess where they go.... However I did not hear of anyone having problems after having swam there.

The children dress up in festive costume and you can pose with them to take pictures. Be sure to take some one dollar bills for this. It is also nice to take them something. Either supplies for the school or something for the children like hair bows, small toys, t-shirts, etc. No sweets are recommended as they don't have access to a dentist like we do.

Have fun. It was one of our most memorable cruise stops ever.

Definitely looking forward to this stop! 3 years ago we stopped at Rurutuu in French Polynesia. It is extremely rare a cruise ship stopped there. The entire island dressed up with brand new clothes they all made just for out visit and had a beautiful spread for us at the tender dock. It was an amazing day.

Edited by twin123185

• 2 weeks later...
Was there a few weeks ago. No organized excursions--you just walk around and talk to the people. They set up a craft market near the tender pier. The children are generally off school when a ship is in' date=' and so you'll get a chance to meet them. It's nice to bring them pencils or sweets.

There is a swimming beach, though it's on the opposite side of the island from where the tenders come in. But that's not a far walk. It's decent for swimming. Neither wonderful nor awful.

Keep in mind that this is a place with no running water or electricity, save for a couple of generators. They had internet last year at the school, but not anymore. Their contact with the outside world is limited to 3 to 4 cruise ships a year and 3 to 4 supply ships a year.

That being said, the people are quite charming.[/quote']

We were there with WishIwerecrusin on Crystal Serenity in January 2016 - while we visited many Pacific Islands as we crossed the Pacific to Sydney none were like Fanning Island. I wouldn't rate it for swimming - but there are beaches you could swim at facing into a big lagoon

This is as close to unspoilt as you'll get I suspect, very limited facilities but the people were very friendly.

Remember they don't have a lot resources so don't expect bars or restaurants - but the handcrafts are genuine and very nice and there's coconuts for sale

Take the time to walk 5 minutes to the school - and if you can take some basic supplies along to share. Interestingly we spoke to the head mistress and she said sporting equipment would be greatly appreciated. An aid project has provided a basketball court - but they had no basketballs to play with. There's a nice big field outside the school so I could imagine them playing baseball or any ball game on it

I'm delighted to know I'll be visiting again in 2019 when Crystal Serenity stops there again

It's sad to think that this island will be uninhabitable in approx. 20 years time due to rising sea levels - its such a low lying land mass that it will become too salty on land and subject to the encroaching sea that they will have to leave their home and move to other islands