What's it like taking a transpacific cruise?

alittlesquid

I'm interested in taking a transpacific cruise as I've always wanted to go to Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti and Hawaii! So far I've been looking at the Celebrity Solstice, Radiance of the Seas and Carnival Legend because they all go to French Polynesia which is the most important destination for me. I'd like to stay in the time frame of 15-20 days. I know that there are more sea days, but I was wondering what is it like? Are there times to avoid sailing the Pacific? Thank you!:):)

We have done Australia to Tahiti and the concept was great, January was not. In hindsight not only was the time of year wrong but the thought that the cruise would visit great ports was wrong.

Visiting New Caledonia, Tonga and French Polynesia is great, but......The Fiji ports are really, really crappy. We did another trip to Fiji and it was land based and fantastic. Other than checking the box a cruise that stops for day in one or two Fiji ports is not a great idea.

French Polynesia is magical. Many transpacific cruises stop at one or two islands, some spend about a week there. If your goal is to visit that region then I would strongly suggest taking a Paul Gauguin cruise which is based out of Tahiti. Some of the more main line cruises also do Tahiti based cruises but they are usually limited to a few weeks each year and they also tend to be in the region during the rainier season.

I would avoid the Pacific in the November - March time frame. You could have fantastic weather but you could also have storms. As you probably know Fiji was devastated by a cyclone about 2 weeks ago.

I'm interested in taking a transpacific cruise as I've always wanted to go to Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti and Hawaii! So far I've been looking at the Celebrity Solstice, Radiance of the Seas and Carnival Legend because they all go to French Polynesia which is the most important destination for me. I'd like to stay in the time frame of 15-20 days. I know that there are more sea days, but I was wondering what is it like? Are there times to avoid sailing the Pacific? Thank you!:):)

You are going to need to narrow it down a bit, or expand your time as 15-20 days is not enough time to get to these locations. Hawaii is the outlier, save it for another time.

• 4 weeks later...

The Celebrity Solstice does their Tahitian Treasures cruise in April over 18 nights and it also does the same trip in reverse in the Autumn, usually Sept or Oct. We did this ourselves sailing on the Autumn sailing and we totally loved it. So much in fact that we have our third trip back to the South Pacific booked this Summer but on a smaller vessel that stays just in the South Pacific. I highly recommend trying a Transpacific, a great way to see a few different places on one trip. The only thing to consider is to make the most of a few days at the beginning and/or end of your cruise to see more of the country you will end up at...if you're tight on time, maybe consider flying direct to one place instead and cruise in that area? :)

The transpacific cruise that you were probably thinking about was those old 30-day LA/SF to Sydney cruises that Princess use to run. They would visit Hawaii, Tahiti, New Zealand, and, finally, Sydney, Australia. (They also stopped at the Western Samoa, American Samoa, Fiji, and, sometimes, the Cook Islands). However, they widdled it down to 28 days and now 25 days. Look at the Golden Princess, leaving LA for Sydney on July 7, 2017, visiting Hawaii, Tahiti, New Zealand, and Australia. Not as good as our 30 day cruise which I consider the best cruise that I was ever on, but it does visit French Polynesia during its winter, which is in the middle of their dry season (also, considered their High Season). Disadvantage with this cruise is visiting New Zealand and Australia during their winter.

• 2 months later...
Disadvantage with this cruise is visiting New Zealand and Australia during their winter.

Winter isn't a bad time to visit Australia, especially for anyone who wants to go to the Great Barrier Reef.

Any cruises going to NZ in winter typically on go to Auckland and the Bay of Islands. But then you have the Tasman Sea crossing. :eek: