Kayaking?

RMLincoln

My husband and I enjoy kayaking. We have very fond memories and beautiful photos of kayaking in the lagoon off Tahiti while we stayed at a pensionne (sp?) type lodge. But we are now booked on an extended South Pacific cruise from San Diego r/t departing in late September. We'd like to find kayaking excursions (only a river kayak found in the long list of ship tours) or opportunities to rent kayaks. I have googled many sites and find that kayaks are being replaced by stand-up boards, not as good for us.

We will be in Hawaii (5 ports)

Fanning Island

Pago Pago

Apia Samoa

Savusavu, Fiji

Suva, Fiji (Sunday)

Dravuni, Fiji

Laukota, Fiji

Nuku'alofa, Tonga

Vava'u Tonga

Niue

Rarotonga (Sunday)

Bora Bora

Raiatea

Papeete

Moorea

Rangiroa

Fakarava

Nuka Hiva

Looking for suggestions, possible guided tours or names of any hotels or resorts where we could use their facilities and rent their kayaks for the day (like on a day-pass). If you know of any such places, all help is appreciated. Many thanks, Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

We have recently been on a cruise visiting some of those ports I will have alook through my brochures but I do recall seeing one a Vava'u called Flying Coconuts Kayaks it is a fascinating port. I had a look they have a website.

We visited Dravuni Is a few years ago no kayaks then but one of the locals

took my husband fishing and then took us around the island.

The next day we were in Suva walking down the street and to our surprise he was there.

I'm now checking into hotels that might have day passes and then an opportunity to rent their kayaks. I read on Pete and Judy's World Cruise blog that on Moorea they hear that some folks were able to purchase hotel passes, don't know which hotels, haven't been able to ferret that out of their websites but will post if learn more, may try emailing some of them. m--

On Moorea the Hilton and the Intercontinental offer day passes. I know that the Hilton has kayaks, not sure about the IC.

While most dive shops will not have kayaks most probably know who does and they are pretty good about responding to emails. Top Dive has shops throughout French Polynesia including on Moorea, Tahiti, Fakarava and Rangiroa. You may want to try them for more information.

• 2 weeks later...
On Moorea the Hilton and the Intercontinental offer day passes. I know that the Hilton has kayaks, not sure about the IC.

While most dive shops will not have kayaks most probably know who does and they are pretty good about responding to emails. Top Dive has shops throughout French Polynesia including on Moorea, Tahiti, Fakarava and Rangiroa. You may want to try them for more information.

Thanks for the ideas. I wonder how one gets a day pass... do you just take a taxi there and hope for the best? Or do you have to have a reservation? Any additional info most welcome. m--

Can't give you an answer, but am following as I'll be in Fiji shortly and hoping I can find somewhere to hire a kayak if I want as I can't physically use a SUP.

Laura

I found this website:

https://www.oars.com/adventures/middle-navua-river-kayaking/

for river kayaking and whitewater rafting. I doubt we can use them because of our arrival time in Suva being too late to meet up with them. I have emailed them but haven't learned anything more specific than on their website yet. m--