Want to See Jerusaleum but Ship is Only Going to Eilat

chem eng

Hi:

I have a problem. I booked a cruise with Costa to see Israel but they have dropped the Ashdod port.

Costa is going to Eilat from 8:00 am on Dec. 6th to 6:00 am on the Dec. 8th. They are offering a tour for 235 euros to drive to Jerusaleum and then fly home the same day (length of tour 13.5 hours). One of the other passengers pointed out that the excursion will likely be in Italian.

Do you have any recommendations for any tour companies that could take us from Eilat and show us Jerusaleum, and go to the Dead sea on the 2nd day for a reasonable cost with an overnight stay in the area?

Any other suggestions.

Hi:

I have a problem. I booked a cruise with Costa to see Israel but they have dropped the Ashdod port.

Costa is going to Eilat from 8:00 am on Dec. 6th to 6:00 am on the Dec. 8th. They are offering a tour for 235 euros to drive to Jerusaleum and then fly home the same day (length of tour 13.5 hours). One of the other passengers pointed out that the excursion will likely be in Italian.

Do you have any recommendations for any tour companies that could take us from Eilat and show us Jerusaleum, and go to the Dead sea on the 2nd day for a reasonable cost with an overnight stay in the area?

Any other suggestions.

235 Euros sound to me very expensive, even with a flight return.

If you want to maximize your time and see as much as possible this is how I would do it:

Take a flight on Oct 6 from Eilat to Ben Gurion airport - 33$USD per person for the 11:30 flight.

Have a private guide pick you up and drive to the Dead Sea for a "floating experience" back to Jerusalem and plan with the guide what you can see in the afternoon - 300$USD per person

Stay overnight in Jerusalem - around 70-90$USD per person.

Oct 7 - have a full private tour in Jerusalem and Bethlehem ending late afternoon in Tel Aviv visiting Old Jaffa - 300$USD per person

Take a flight back to Eilat from Sde Dov - 51$USD per person at 20:55.

The total per person for such an overnight from Eilat is - 754-774USD per person (or 670- 685 Euros per person).

A cheaper option:

Take a flight on Oct 7 from Eilat to Sde Dov airport - 63$USD per person for the 06:40 flight.

Have a private guide pick you up and do a Jerusalem and the Dead Sea - 350- 380$USD per person

Take a flight back to Eilat from Sde Dov - 51$USD per person at 20:55.

The total per person for tis option is - 464- 494USD per person (or 411- 428 Euros per person).

Both options does not include meals (the hotel price include breakfast) and admissions. However if I look at it the only admission you'll might have will be to the Dead Sea beach (around 12 Euros per person) and food is very cheap so that is not much of a cost here.

Contact any Israeli tour guide directly to arrange it and not an agency, otherwise it will cost you more. Book the flights directly at Arkia web site (http://www.arkia.com/flights-in-israel) as soon as possible to get those low cost prices - I would do it even today!

Hope I could help you here

Tal

Edited by TaliaBT

Because you have 2 days, you have enough time to see many of Israel's amazing sites. We used Sam at guide.holy@gmail.com, on our most recent trip to Israel and Guided Tours Israel on a previous visit. We were very happy with both guides.

This is a kind of answers that not only not serving the OP but also gives wrong information…

Saying that if docking in EILAT (!!!!!) at 8AM and sailing at 6AM after less than 48 hours gives you enough time to "see many of Israel's amazing site" shows lack of basic knowledge in Israel geography!

Eilat is at the most southern end of Israel, 3 hours' drive from the Dead Sea and 4+ hours' drive from Jerusalem. Any place you'll go you'll spend a huge amount of time (unless flying to) just to get there, what does not leaving you a lot of time for the sites touring itself.

Another thing about this answer… Guided Tours Israel is a great company (which I have recommended here, along with other companies, several times before) however G.T.I is not operating from Eilat….!

Sam Salem, who is recommended here, has long been discussed in Trip Advisor as the guy is offering guiding services although not being a licensed guide and there for is doing something illegal! Hiring an illegal guide is risky and not recommended (and I am not a guide!!)…

So, I recommend the OP (who had never came back BTW…) to consider carefully his options as this is not a simple case of getting off the ship and going on an independent excursion just because of the location of the port…

Just to understand, every year the post of Eilat is called by cruise ships 5-10 times only (in 2016 only 8 calls are planned)!!! That is to show you that Eilat is not really a "gate port" to Israel in terms of cruises!

I decided to go with the ship's excursion to Jerusalem for the first day at the 235 euros and the 2nd day the Dead Sea with Masada for 139 euros with the ship as well. This totals 374 euros for both days and I don't have to make the arrangements just go on the tours.

I just couldn't find any tour operators that I would feel comfortable with from the Eilat port to take me to Jerusalem, which can be explained by only 5 to 10 calls from cruise ships. Most of the tours are to Petra or more local sights.

I figure if I'm blown away by Jerusalem and Israel, I can always come back. It looks like flights between Toronto and Tel Aviv are only about $1000 CAD. The direct flights only take about 11 or 12 hours not like going to Singapore. Then I can take my time and really see the sights.

Thanks for the advise.

chem eng, I hope you enjoy your trip. Don't be surprised if you want to return to Israel. After spending 4 days there on a cruise, we returned the next year on a land trip.

TaliaBT, I know where Eilat is located because I have been there. Yes, it is a distance from some popular sites. However, I said that there is time to see many amazing sites because there is time to see a great deal if one does research, plans well and does not waste time. The entire country is full of breathtaking places. I stand by my recommendation of Sam Salem.