Ashdod, Israel

Mamgu

We did this a few years back - shared a car via the RollCall. Had to take a taxi to the rental agency in Ashdod, I think it was Six-T).

Drove across the Negev to approach Masada from the south, then along the shore (obligatory dip in the Dead Sea) & on to Jerusalem. We had two days, in one day you'll not have time for Masada & Jerusalem and certainly not Galilee.

Heavy traffic in Jerusalem, elsewhere very easy.

For just Jerusalem it's probably simpler to share a taxi from the port - the walled city is where most sights are, and that's all alleyways, no traffic.

JB :)

Thanks for your reply, we went to Jerusalem and Bethlehem from Haifa some years ago. This time we've got an overnight in Ashdod so want to be a bit more adventurous. We are going to do Massada and the Dead Sea on the first day. We now believe that the Sea of Galilee could be too far as we're leaving port at 6pm.

We are going to do Massada and the Dead Sea on the first day.

You can also add on Ein Gedi, nearby, with some pretty waterfalls and a nice easy walk up the stream to them. The greenery from the running water is amazing in the midst of the barren dry desert all around. And the cool is very welcome.

Is Ein Ged near Massada?

Yes, it's just north of Herod's fortress at Massada, mebbe 10 minutes IIRC. It's one of the places where you can bathe (there's a small fee, changing rooms, showers, etc.)

Water is shallow, mebbe up to chest high. Floating is easy, getting back on your feet not-so-easy - your legs prefer to stay on the surface :D

BTW, avoid touching your eyes with wet hands or allowing them to be splashed. From experience :o

Day one from Ashdod to Massada & Dead Sea then ship or Jerusalem hotel. Day two Jerusalem, or possibly ?? Galilee??, but certainly not both. Pretty certain you can't take a hire car into Bethlehem or Jericho.

JB :)

Thanks for all your help. We won't be doing Jerusalem but maybe Tel Aviv on the second day. I think I am the only person who goes on cruises and doesn't take a swimsuit. Maybe I will this time for the Dead Sea - can't sink in that!

• 1 month later...
Has anyone rented a car in this port? We are there in November and want to go to the Dead Sea, Massada and the Sea of Gallilee. Renting a car would seem to be the best option - any info?

I don't know how many days you are planning to rent a car, but the Dead Sea & Massada are in the Southern direction & Galilea in the North, therefore in two different directions. You could do Dead Sea, Massada in one day.

November, could be tricky to go down to the Dead Sea. If it rains in the Jerusalem/Hebron Region the roads can get flooded & the road is actually closed, so you'd have to change your plans.

There's plenty to see in the North of course, which is could take a day or two. You can spend just a day, but you'd be very rushed depending on your itinerary.

Most of the usual rental cars are available in Israel. I noticed that Economy Rental Cars offer rental from the cruise port. I assume other companies would probably have some sort of pickup from the port to their offices in Ashdod town.