PRINCESS vs Norwegion

plunker

We have only cruised Princess and are considering changing our cruise from the Emerald Princess to the Norwegion Getaway. Any info. anyone can give me about the differences between the two would be appreciated. Princess is great about my sons peanut allergy and we are wondering how Norwegion is with allergies. What about the kids club? Princess has a non alcoholic drink package that includes shakes, soda, and any non alcoholic drink. Does norwegion have something like this? What about comparisons between food on the two cruise lines for those of you that have done both? Thank you.

No, NCL only has the soda card for unlimited Pepsi products.

While it won't include shakes the Ultimate Beverage package would include the other items OP asked about. Some would suggest UBP isn't worth the money w/o alcohol, if it is the free item and OP wants non alcoholic versions, it is a good option.

While it won't include shakes the Ultimate Beverage package would include the other items OP asked about. Some would suggest UBP isn't worth the money w/o alcohol, if it is the free item and OP wants non alcoholic versions, it is a good option.

Well yes, but if she was asking for her underage son that isn't an option.

Well yes, but if she was asking for her underage son that isn't an option.

Yea, it wasn't clear to me that it was for the son. Allergy and kids club certainly, but son wasn't called out in that part of the message so I responded more broadly. I haven't cruised Princess so can't comment on that part of the message.

Several years ago, would have said food on Princess was much better but in recent years, they have become comparable.

Have never used the kids club but have read glowing reports about it from others

Think the main difference is the informality of NCL. I really prefer the anytime dinin and the fact that dress is more casual. You will not see as many people all""dolled"up. Sure makes packing easier

All cruise lines are very good about handling alegy problems, I wouldn't be concerned about this. The cabins are going to be similar as well. I can't answer the question about the drink package, but I have never known anyone who has complained about the kids club. In fact most rave about it. Our little great granddaughter has been on 2 NCL ships and both times loves the kids club. As has been mentioned, there was a time with Princess was in an upper class catagory for cruising, but that has not been our experience the few times we have cruised the line. I have found them comparable to other lines. The entertainment is better on NCL I think. As for food quality, they are comparable, with NCL having more dining options, but not better food. The one place they differ considerable is the formality. NCL isn't much more relaxed without formal nights, etc. That could be a winner or a loser, depending on what you like. Oh, I do think Princess ships are prettier, but I haven't been on the Getaway.

I find Princess to be a bit older crowd and less children then RCL. Princess still has 2 formal nights on their 7 night cruises. I don't think you'd be unhappy on either cruise line because they are more alike then different.

Does the Getaway have a few main dining rooms that are included in the price and then some specialty restaurants that you pay for? Do they have anything like international cafe on princess where they have sandwiches and salads and donuts in the morning that is included?

We have only cruised Princess and are considering changing our cruise from the Emerald Princess to the Norwegion Getaway. Any info. anyone can give me about the differences between the two would be appreciated. Princess is great about my sons peanut allergy and we are wondering how Norwegion is with allergies. What about the kids club? Princess has a non alcoholic drink package that includes shakes, soda, and any non alcoholic drink. Does norwegion have something like this? What about comparisons between food on the two cruise lines for those of you that have done both? Thank you.

If you make sure they know about your son's allergy when you book you'll find they do a great job at providing meals he can eat.

Our experience with Princess and NCL:

Dining

------

Food (taste): We prefer NCL. We think the food is actually better tasting on NCL, although Princess has better presentation of the food in the main dining rooms. NCL also has more extra-charge "specialty" restaurants that are pretty good.

Dress Code: We prefer NCL's more casual "dress up or not" style. I don't wear a jacket or a tie, and I can eat in the main dining room every night of the cruise. I'm not relegated to the buffet or room service. So while I strongly prefer being casual, you do see a few families that dress up for the traditional picture with the captain in the atrium. It works for everybody. Exception: if it will ruin your cruise to see people in jeans and polo shirts in the restaurants then NCL is not for you.

Dining Times: We prefer NCL. We can show up at any time between 5:30 and 9 PM (or whenever the main dining room closes) and get seated. It works more like a land restaurant where you decide when to go each night, instead of having a set dining time.

Entertainment: We prefer NCL. It seems to us there is more live music around the ship, and the shows are simply better.

Itineraries: Because we have cruised NCL so much, we are looking for new itineraries, and the Princess British Isles cruise has our attention. Even with our preferences above, we will probably take that cruise in 2017 if it is still around.

It's been a while since we were on Princess, so some things may have changed.

Does the Getaway have a few main dining rooms that are included in the price and then some specialty restaurants that you pay for? Do they have anything like international cafe on princess where they have sandwiches and salads and donuts in the morning that is included?

2 main dining rooms

Buffet

O'Sheehans 24 comfort food place

poolside grill (some ships)

and now the asian places are included now too. Those are all included in your fare.