Norwegian Breakaway (Internet Speeds & Packages)

emulsified

STAYING CONNECTED @ SEA: Internet Access

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

A 7-day cruise on the Breakaway should cost $174.93 if one chooses the:

Unlimited Cruise Plan

$24.99 per day for cruises 1-12 days in length

*NOTE: As of January 2014, the Breakaway now has the iDirect X7 Satellite Modem/Router which is supposed to greatly improve speeds and available bandwidth.

The Unlimited Cruise Plan is ideally what I would choose because my work reimburses me for the cost because they have separation anxiety and seem to stock up on gasoline and matches before I go on vacation or so it seems. They try new things they would never do on any other normal day. And when it comes to technology they usually break things in new and creative ways.

If anyone has anyone cruised after January 2014 on the Breakaway I have the following questions (I want real world experience, not what customer service reads off of the same website I can read myself):

1. Is the package truly unlimited for data in the sense that I can use multiple devices for data use, laptop, smartphone and likely use my cabin information when signing in with the multiple devices?

2. How were the data speeds?

3. What times seem to have the most congestion or slowness?

The next questions are for the really, really technical people out there.

Unrelated to the data access, does anyone know of an Android app or root method of blocking the cell SID of the onboard cell service so that my smartphone does not register/associate to the ship's cell mobile network? In other words, blacklist the ships cell SID in my phone so my phone does not use it? Yes, of course I can turn mobile data off.

Additionally, does T-Mobile WiFi calling work through the ship's data like any other app that require a data internet connection or does the ship block it to make more revenue?

Do they block VPN tunnels?

Do they block SSH connections?

To anyone with solid information on the above I would greatly appreciate detailed responses.

Thank you.

> The Unlimited Cruise Plan is ideally what I would choose because my work reimburses me for the cost because they have separation anxiety

Seems you need to teach your boss(es) about this little "the person who knows everything got hit by a bus" story...

When I mark that I am out on vacation, I just don't use the Internet. Try it, it is a revelation :)

Yep, the amount of mail etc when you come back is a ***** and you will "miss out" on so much, realize that it is the Internet and that it is not that important. If it is really important people will send an SMS or a call on your cellphone.

> Is the package truly unlimited for data in the sense that I can use multiple

> devices for data use, laptop, smartphone and likely use my cabin information

> when signing in with the multiple devices?

"Unlimited" does not exist. Every ISP in the world will throttle you or disconnect you above certain xfer amounts. Don't expect to do more than a few gigs before you run out.

> How were the data speeds?

Data speeds will depend on the phase of the moon. It is satellite based and there are a bunch of other people on the boat.

Latency is the biggest annoyance, cause, satellite.

> What times seem to have the most congestion or slowness?

Depends on your definition to "slow" ;)

> The next questions are for the really, really technical people out there.

Like, the really technical folks?

> Unrelated to the data access, does anyone know of an Android app or root method of blocking the cell SID of the onboard cell service so that my smartphone does not register/associate to the ship's cell mobile network?

You are aware that every single cell phone that has ever existed has had a 'automatic' and a 'manual' mode? Using the latter solves that.

On IOS and Android you can also just disable cell service (aka "Airplane mode").

> Additionally, does T-Mobile WiFi calling work through the ship's data

> like any other app that require a data internet connection or does the

> ship block it to make more revenue?

Depends on how T-Mobile does their"WiFi" calling. As you are behind a NAT, raw SIP won't pass. Likely you will run into latency issues to make any good use of it though.

As an example, Youtube stutters a bit on the lower resolutions, if you are so needy to see cat pictures while going through the beautiful Caribbean....

> Do they block VPN tunnels?

You'll have to assume that HTTP/HTTPS works, and that is it.

Remember that Cruiseships are Hotels, with the big difference that they float on water in the middle of nowhere and thus do not have a nifty fiber, or heck not even DSL, but satelite. Hence, what works in Hotels, typically works on the boat.

> Do they block SSH connections?

Not when I tried. But unless you are still used to 28k8, you'll not have fun with the latency (400ms is quite common). Also, it felt a lot like SSH had much lower priority than HTTP, QoS is definitely in effect.

My recommendations if you really do not like to enjoy the boat itself let alone the destinations:

- checkout your git repositories on your laptop

- make sure you have all project related docs locally available

- cache cat pictures on your laptop

And yes, I do travel with laptop, but that is primarily so that I can use the storage for backing up & sorting out pictures taken on the trip ;)

When we were on the Breakaway in October, we were able to get the 1000 MB plan for $89. I used most of it, but didn't leave my phone/tablet connected all the time. My question is: Is this unlimited plan better than what was previously offered? If it is, I don't have a problem paying the extra $100 to stay in touch with my family. My parents are in their 70's and my MIL is not well, so staying connected is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
> The Unlimited Cruise Plan is ideally what I would choose because my work reimburses me for the cost because they have separation anxiety

Seems you need to teach your boss(es) about this little "the person who knows everything got hit by a bus" story...

When I mark that I am out on vacation, I just don't use the Internet. Try it, it is a revelation :)

Yep, the amount of mail etc when you come back is a ***** and you will "miss out" on so much, realize that it is the Internet and that it is not that important. If it is really important people will send an SMS or a call on your cellphone.

> Is the package truly unlimited for data in the sense that I can use multiple

> devices for data use, laptop, smartphone and likely use my cabin information

> when signing in with the multiple devices?

"Unlimited" does not exist. Every ISP in the world will throttle you or disconnect you above certain xfer amounts. Don't expect to do more than a few gigs before you run out.

> How were the data speeds?

Data speeds will depend on the phase of the moon. It is satellite based and there are a bunch of other people on the boat.

Latency is the biggest annoyance, cause, satellite.

> What times seem to have the most congestion or slowness?

Depends on your definition to "slow" ;)

> The next questions are for the really, really technical people out there.

Like, the really technical folks?

> Unrelated to the data access, does anyone know of an Android app or root method of blocking the cell SID of the onboard cell service so that my smartphone does not register/associate to the ship's cell mobile network?

You are aware that every single cell phone that has ever existed has had a 'automatic' and a 'manual' mode? Using the latter solves that.

On IOS and Android you can also just disable cell service (aka "Airplane mode").

> Additionally, does T-Mobile WiFi calling work through the ship's data

> like any other app that require a data internet connection or does the

> ship block it to make more revenue?

Depends on how T-Mobile does their"WiFi" calling. As you are behind a NAT, raw SIP won't pass. Likely you will run into latency issues to make any good use of it though.

As an example, Youtube stutters a bit on the lower resolutions, if you are so needy to see cat pictures while going through the beautiful Caribbean....

> Do they block VPN tunnels?

You'll have to assume that HTTP/HTTPS works, and that is it.

Remember that Cruiseships are Hotels, with the big difference that they float on water in the middle of nowhere and thus do not have a nifty fiber, or heck not even DSL, but satelite. Hence, what works in Hotels, typically works on the boat.

> Do they block SSH connections?

Not when I tried. But unless you are still used to 28k8, you'll not have fun with the latency (400ms is quite common). Also, it felt a lot like SSH had much lower priority than HTTP, QoS is definitely in effect.

My recommendations if you really do not like to enjoy the boat itself let alone the destinations:

- checkout your git repositories on your laptop

- make sure you have all project related docs locally available

- cache cat pictures on your laptop

And yes, I do travel with laptop, but that is primarily so that I can use the storage for backing up & sorting out pictures taken on the trip ;)

Great info, Fuzzle.

Can the unlimited data plan be used on multiple devices? e.g. iPad and PC? Or would that require 2 plans?

TIA!

Breakaway (and, the Getaway - for that matter) has the faster satellite internet by virture of the hardwares/software & technologies deployed ... latency varied but it's far better than those on older ships in the fleet that are waiting for the dry dock to fully upgrade everything. I also saw them running cat 5/6 wiring thru the ducts along the hallway, above the ceiling - and they have signal relays/repeaters or boosters (whatever you preferred to call them) to optimize coverage - as you can see here, it's a good 2.4 Ghz signal on 4 channels to minimize cross-interference.

When you used the activated iConcierge, you are essentially connected to the ship's inTranet, it's not a "free" or truely "open" WiFi network - it has various levels of retrictions, blocked ports & access privileges as administered. If you signed up & agree to using the paid functions, you get access to more features.

If you look carefully along the main corridors, toward the top of the ceiling along the walls, you might actually spot a few of (above the framed picture) these - they are good for signals & designed to blend in, unlike that VZ Fios router with the dual rabbit ears or those good old blue Linksys workhorses.

Speed is on par with better DSL data plan but will varied as it is on a shared node with users logging in & out, and will be slower at peak demand time - just like your "cable" internet connection on land - the signal has to travel not hundreds, but thousands of miles up & then relayed back down to earth, routed to a land tower & then tunnel its way to the server, etc. etc. - it is reliable enough to do Google Hangouts and/or iOS Facetime on the iphones and iPads.

On our Androids & ipads, we seemed to be doing fine as long as any background Cloud access or running Apps are disabled - on a PC (notebook/netbook, etc.) - disabling background updates & downloads, Cloud access (all of which will quickly burn data and/or create bottlenecks) - it run fairly smoothly, including browsing websites - especially with the optional features turned off or stopped. If you can managed these days with the major chain hotel's "free" WiFi connection in its duplex mode, and check emails or look up Maps, check airline reservations - then you should be fine, just don't try to watch a 1080p DVD from Netfix.

Lastly, you can use it on multiple devices as long as it is "registered" and activated - one at a time only, of course. It's best to logoff first before switching, even if it is "unlimited" in theory. Good luck & enjoy - you are paying for it, one way or another. As always, exercise caution & diligence to protect and guard your personal data & information as it can be exposed.

Edited by mking8288

More than one device can use the Internet plan at the same time. Each devices logs on and off and usage is counted across all devices. My family all shared one plan and we were often on at the same time.

I am on the Breakaway right now, will be departing from Bermuda this afternoon. I plan to post my review of all things data once I'm back home this holiday weekend. So far the best data experience on a cruise yet.

More than one device can use the Internet plan at the same time. Each devices logs on and off and usage is counted across all devices. My family all shared one plan and we were often on at the same time.

In the context of per minute or MB plans, this makes sense. However, the question is whether multiple devices can be connected at the same time on the unlimited plan where usage is not "counted" and deducted from remaining available tiem. I suspect not, but would like to hear from those who have used it. I wouldn't think a problem using multiple devices, so long as not all at once.

I am on the Breakaway right now, will be departing Bermuda in about 1 hour (5pm Bermuda). I paid $174.93 for unlimited Internet for my 7-day cruise. You need to sign up for it by 10am of the 2nd day of the cruise.

You can use as many devices as you want, but only 1 at a time, you basically bump each other off (but I will tell you what I did to use 4 devices at once below).

I have attached a snapshot of what the intranet site looks like where you login. Your session will timeout after a certain amount of time and each time you will need to choose returning user.

When you sign up for the package do it at Deck 6 with the Internet Manager, they will have you use one of the computers in the Internet cafe for the initial sign up. Once you have signed up you will be good to go.

Now, if you want to connect multiple devices at the same time you should pickup a travel WiFi router like the TP-LINK TL-WR710N 150Mbps Wireless N Mini Pocket Router, Repeater, Client, 2 LAN Ports, USB Port for Charging and Storage.

First you should configure this in Router Mode (Access Point) By connecting a cable directly to the LAN port, accessing the router Web Guo and setting an access point name and security settings. For the SSID I set mine to "MAINTENANCE", as I thought less people would try to connect to it. Since you will be using router mode this means you will be doing double-nat.

I was very impressed by the data speeds, much more than any other cruise I have ever taken.

Now as far as port blocking is concerned the Internet manager told me that as of right now only major streaming sites have been blocked. I have done various test because my business is run by me and there are many technical things I still check on late at night while everyone else is sleeping so I needed to make sure I had remote access to many different things.

I can tell you at night when people hit the bars that ports other than 80 and 443 are throttled. I didn't do a full spectrum traffic analysis because I'm on vacation after all and only wanted to check on my gremlins (employees) back at home.

I personally used OpenVPN vanilla 1194 UDP without a problem. However during busy times these ports and protocols get throttled and it was a no go. I then used OpenVPN TCP port 443 successfully.

I additionally used Private Internet Access (privateinternetaccess.com) on both my laptop and Android devices while connected through my travel router WiFi and directly to NCL WiFi without a problem.

For giggles I even streamed Netflix after 10pm with only a little bit of buffering.

I hope this information helps.

Screenshot_2015-05-22-08-06-51-picsay.jpg.f4cff96c335674a0108b5172b8007700.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was curious to the requirement that makes you sign up for the "unlimited" plan by 10am on the second day..... I will be travelling on the Breakaway in March 2016 and visiting Port Canaveral during the first part of the trip. I wouldn't need internet access during the first couple days because I would be using Verizon Wireless in Florida.... can you purchase the "unlimited" plan once you leave the US for the Bahamas? It seems like a waste to pay twice for internet access. Thanks