AMA Provence and Spain question

Host Jazzbeau

Just got my AMA materials today (6 weeks ahead for those comparing ;)). Detailed descriptions of all the included excursions, and several options to choose among on several days. Most were easy decisions, but I continue to be torn between the Viviers Ghost Walk and the Boulangerie Baker's Experience. The Ghost Walk has gotten rave reviews, but I haven't found any feedback on the bakery tour. I did find a similar tour offered in Paris, but not on the days we are there. Has anybody taken this Boulangerie Baker's Experience tour in Viviers?

Just got my AMA materials today (6 weeks ahead for those comparing ;)). Detailed descriptions of all the included excursions, and several options to choose among on several days. Most were easy decisions, but I continue to be torn between the Viviers Ghost Walk and the Boulangerie Baker's Experience. The Ghost Walk has gotten rave reviews, but I haven't found any feedback on the bakery tour. I did find a similar tour offered in Paris, but not on the days we are there. Has anybody taken this Boulangerie Baker's Experience tour in Viviers?

We did that cruise in 2012 and loved it.

We did the Ghost Walk. It was great fun. I don't remember the Baker's Experience as an option.

I imagine it depends on how much you like to cook.

Jazzbeau - one thing to consider is that Viviers is easy to walk around on your own, even at night. We did, and it was great fun! I can't imagine that you could duplicate the boulangerie experience on your own.

I would imagine that a guided tour with stories might be better than what we did on our own, but maybe you can have some of both by doing the boulangerie tour, and a night walk around town on your own.

In 6 weeks we'll be heading back to Germany to pick up an Audi. So we'll be just one country over from you! We'll be spending most of our time around the Rhine. Have a great trip!

Jazzbeau - one thing to consider is that Viviers is easy to walk around on your own, even at night. We did, and it was great fun! I can't imagine that you could duplicate the boulangerie experience on your own.

I would imagine that a guided tour with stories might be better than what we did on our own, but maybe you can have some of both by doing the boulangerie tour, and a night walk around town on your own.

In 6 weeks we'll be heading back to Germany to pick up an Audi. So we'll be just one country over from you! We'll be spending most of our time around the Rhine. Have a great trip!

What a great reason to go to Germany!

We were not in Viviers in the evening on either of our cruises. Two weeks ago we were there for a few hours in the morning, and it was very quiet. It is a lovely little village and I would have loved to see it in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing this next July as a surprise for DH's 65th. Could you (pls) share some of the info. Awaiting your review when you retrun.

Thx

Carole

What a great reason to go to Germany!

We were not in Viviers in the evening on either of our cruises. Two weeks ago we were there for a few hours in the morning, and it was very quiet. It is a lovely little village and I would have loved to see it in the evening.

Oh, it is a great reason to visit! We cannot wait...

Back to Viviers - caviargal, too bad you didn't get there at night! We had the absolute best time walking around by ourselves in the darkness, pretty much by ourselves the whole time. One very neat bonus was crashing the Viking group's private tour of the Cathedral by night. As we approached the Cathedral, we saw that the door was open and the lights were on, so we wandered in like we belonged there, milled around, and left as the group filed out. How fun!

Enjoy your cruise, whichever option you decide to take.

Are you picking up your car at Stuttgart?

I know that is where Porsche has its plant? Not sure where Audis are made.

We lived in Stuttgart and Augsburg for four years.

Mercedes has a great car museum in Stuttgart that has the oldest car in the World.

We were at Viviers during the day and walked up to the Cathedral. The upper city is not easy walking. The streets are narrow and sloped sideways in addition to up the hill. It appears to be very dark at night. If you do the ghost tour, suggest you are prepared with non slip shoes and some kind of flashlight.

Looks like a great trip. Have fun

Are you picking up your car at Stuttgart?

I know that is where Porsche has its plant? Not sure where Audis are made.

We lived in Stuttgart and Augsburg for four years.

Mercedes has a great car museum in Stuttgart that has the oldest car in the World.

Audi does its Euro delivery (and has factories) in two locations: Ingolstadt for most, and Neckarsulm for the RS-series and R8 models. I am getting an S6 so we will (again) be in Ingolstadt. However, I asked if we could take advantage of their Neckarsulm location, and maybe do a factory tour there, since we have already toured the Ingolstadt location... So I think we'll have the best of both worlds!

Jazzbeau, sorry for hijacking your thread... Now, back to Viviers!

We were at Viviers during the day and walked up to the Cathedral. The upper city is not easy walking. The streets are narrow and sloped sideways in addition to up the hill. It appears to be very dark at night. If you do the ghost tour, suggest you are prepared with non slip shoes and some kind of flashlight.

Looks like a great trip. Have fun

Yes, some of those upper city streets are quite inclined... We wore sneakers/trainers or Skechers. It is somewhat dark but they make good use of low-intensity lighting so after a few minutes, your eyes adjust and you can navigate without much if any additional light. I had the flashlight app for my phone but never really needed it.

There are, however, some additional road hazards to look out for... This sign that we saw the next morning still cracks me up! It wasn't so funny the night before, scrubbing my shoe, but oh well...

"Dog Owners - The Residents of the old city are sick and tired of your dogs' droppings! - Think of the people, children, who use the streets - also, all the city who suffering a lack of civility! The streets of Viviers are not bathrooms for dogs!"

CC%252520Rhone%25252006_Viviers-41.jpg

Only in French would this sound so poetic!

Doing this next July as a surprise for DH's 65th. Could you (pls) share some of the info. Awaiting your review when you retrun.

Thx

Carole

Yes please! We are doing this cruise Sept 2016 so any info you can share would be most appreciated! Have a safe and great time.

Yes please! We are doing this cruise Sept 2016 so any info you can share would be most appreciated! Have a safe and great time.

We are also doing that cruise. We are on the it from the south going north on Sept. 9th (next year). Hope you are with us.

We are also doing that cruise. We are on the it from the south going north on Sept. 9th (next year). Hope you are with us.

Sorry, we are the cruise ahead of you going South😪😪 but will leave the AmaDagio in good shape for you! This is our second time on her, last time 2007.

FYI for everyone. There is a very good article in today's (8-9-15) NY Time Travel Section

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-provence.html?em_pos=medium&emc=edit_tl_20150808&nl=travel&nlid=34298764&ref=headline&_r=0

Hope this link works.

Carole

Thanks, the article and video are very interesting (and the link works!). It wasn't clear at first watching the video (before reading the article), that all the restaurants and sites shown are in Arles or Avignon -- so this is very relevant to a Rhone river cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the online brochure for this itinerary. Tournon now has a "Steam Train Ride" listed an a tour. Any idea about this? If its offered on your trip info would be appreciated.

THX

Carole

Just saw the online brochure for this itinerary. Tournon now has a "Steam Train Ride" listed an a tour. Any idea about this? If its offered on your trip info would be appreciated.

THX

Carole

Search that on this forum -- I was warned off it as a boring choice. Instead we're doing the Limited Edition [must sign up, but no extra charge] Hermitage Wine Tasting tour. There is also a third option: Red Wine and Chocolate, which we have been told is dull.

In France now -- left Newark around 7pm Tue, arrived CDG 8am today, got a car from Hertz and drove to Chartres (half covered in scaffolding but still amazing) and over to Giverney (we will see Monet's Gardens first thing tomorrow). Hoped to get some sleep on the plane, but Delta's movies on demand included Chocolate so I had to re-watch that (we will be taking a short cruise on a boat similar to Johnny Depp's river pirate boat in the Dordogne) :) so now jet lag is so bad I can hardly type this. [Guys: I know you're usually well behaved, but please play nice the next few weeks so I won't have to waste valuable vacation time setting things right. Thanks! ;)]