Just back from the Suite Ship, Avalon Tranquility II

DrivesLikeMario

Thanks! Kleenex was on my list for potty visits with uncertain amenities ;) learned that in China! Thinking about my DH daypack and now worried? Thank god the heat will have died down. I don't know how you managed in 100 degree temps!

I have to add that...but I did order these since our cruise is in Aug:

Chill Pal Towels.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MLGB3N4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks for the link. ;)

I think the only time you'll have noise from the viewing area is when they're doing something special like the castles portion of the Rhine, for example. Or possibly the barbecue lunch. The lunch only lasts 2 hrs. max., and the castles portion of the river will be over well before dinner.

Hopefully, neither of you will get noise from the atrium and the loud "good-nights" at 11pm.

Yes, on our December cruise - not many people up on deck. We went up quite a few times and rarely saw anyone else. Sometimes a couple smokers.

I will note that we had occasional smoke smells in our cabin, and another CCer who was on my cruise and had a cabin further aft reported quite a bit of smoke smell - she was closer to where the smoking section was. I know she wrote about this in her review here....(but her username escapes me at the moment...) Since windows were rarely open on our cruise, I'd guess it had something to do with the airflow. But I found it random, and it didn't bother us very long....

Nope, no dress code (maybe no shorts at dinner? And no swimsuits;)) I did bring a dress on our cruise because I love to wear dresses. My husband did bring button down shirts & nice sweaters (which he also wore during the day) but no jacket. Neither of us travel with jeans, so that wasn't an issue, though jeans (on Avalon) are not prohibited. At the same time, I don't recall many people wearing them for dinner.....

For our wines, we had a red & white each day, and a local option (eg Franconian). They were fine. I love wine but am not a wine snob. If I tried one I didn't like (some of the German whites are too sweet for me) I simply requested a different option for my next glass ;-) And the draft beer available was local as well - my FIL had that many nights. My husband didn't love the draft option (he IS a beer snob ;-) so he stuck to wine with dinner most nights. Though he enjoyed other beers from the bar during happy hour when they were quite affordable (2E I recall - all drinks are half price during happy hour)

I only had the sparkling wine at breakfast once. Too sweet for me (but I also don't love sparkling wine, so I'm probably not the best judge there- most people who drank it were making mimosas so it probably didn't matter)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I was surprised at how dressed up most people were for dinner. I thought it would be more casual. The night my DH wore new, dark jeans for dinner with a Tommy Bahama shirt, he was by far one of the most under-dressed. Most men wore Dockers & Polos or dress shirts for dinner and most women wore dressy pants & tops combinations or dresses on our sailing.

I was surprised at how dressed up most people were for dinner. I thought it would be more casual. The night my DH wore new, dark jeans for dinner with a Tommy Bahama shirt, he was by far one of the most under-dressed. Most men wore Dockers & Polos or dress shirts for dinner and most women wore dressy pants & tops combinations or dresses on our sailing.

Oh god really? This won't make my hubby happy at all... Was really hoping to bring less, but then he is a huge "under packer".

So Dockers and button downs it is ;)

He will be fine with golf shirts and slacks. My husband dresses up more than most as that is his preference but on all of river cruises, button downs on the men were generally only seen on Welcome and Farewell evenings.

Oh thank you! That was why we loved regent (so much more) when they went from chasing passengers back to their cabins at 6 to dress, and went to a more relaxed dress code. Wearing suits all week and then on vacation is his biggest gripe!

Oh thank you! That was why we loved regent (so much more) when they went from chasing passengers back to their cabins at 6 to dress, and went to a more relaxed dress code. Wearing suits all week and then on vacation is his biggest gripe!

We enjoy Oceania for that reason as well. Upscale but country club casual.

Last month we booked Azamara in Asia for next fall;)

[and boy does this point out subjectivity - because to me, dockers & a button down is pretty darn casual:p But then my husband doesn't like polo/golf shirts, so for him - it's a wicking tee during the day and a button down at night - but we were also on a December cruise - many more sweaters, not so much the polo/golf shirt, which probably makes a difference]

I will stand by my assertion that VERY few women on my cruise wore skirts or dresses. Because I do and I notice what other people wear.....And my husband is the opposite - he does manufacturing & property management so is VERY casual (and usually dirty) at work - so he likes to be more dapper on vacation. That doesn't extend to ties, however ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

we were also on a December cruise - many more sweaters, not so much the polo/golf shirt, which probably makes a difference]

I will stand by my assertion that VERY few women on my cruise wore skirts or dresses. Because I do and I notice what other people wear.....And my husband is the opposite - he does manufacturing & property management so is VERY casual (and usually dirty) at work - so he likes to be more dapper on vacation. That doesn't extend to ties, however ;-)

I agree that fall and winter cruises see lots of sweaters on both men and women. On our cruise last month, I was surprised to see shorts in the dining room (but the extreme temps were a real anomaly and the dining room often quite warm). Lots of golf shirts and a surprising number of people in jeans, which are the last thing I would wear in summer (and never to dinner).

I love dresses and wear them on river cruises but I am always one of the very few, if not the only one, to do so.

I try not to comment on women's clothes [because like Sgt. Schultz "I know nossing!"], but now we're in my wheelhouse. A Tommy Bahama shirt is -- IMHO but I'm right on this! -- more dressed up than a polo shirt. And if the colors are bright enough, who's going to notice that he has dark jeans rather than navy chinos? I say your husband was fine.

I went to dinner tonight in Tommy Bahama, shirt and shorts. That said, while I agree TB is dressier than a polo shirt. I don't wear it in Europe. In Europe it says tourist. I try to say by my clothes... I might be an American or I might be a local... hmm..

I love TB I don't wear it in Europe.

jc

I went to dinner tonight in Tommy Bahama, shirt and shorts. That said, while I agree TB is dressier than a polo shirt. I don't wear it in Europe. In Europe it says tourist. I try to say by my clothes... I might be an American or I might be a local... hmm..

I love TB I don't wear it in Europe.

jc

Same here.

I agree that fall and winter cruises see lots of sweaters on both men and women. On our cruise last month, I was surprised to see shorts in the dining room (but the extreme temps were a real anomaly and the dining room often quite warm). Lots of golf shirts and a surprising number of people in jeans, which are the last thing I would wear in summer (and never to dinner).

I love dresses and wear them on river cruises but I am always one of the very few, if not the only one, to do so.

On the first night of our cruise, at the muster station drill, I think, the captain, PD and hotel manager spoke, and the hotel manager said that shorts were not permitted in the dining room for dinner. Because I'm old-fashioned I would have also liked a reminder for men to take off their ball caps at lunch, but most of them remembered on their own.

On the first night of our cruise, at the muster station drill, I think, the captain, PD and hotel manager spoke, and the hotel manager said that shorts were not permitted in the dining room for dinner. Because I'm old-fashioned I would have also liked a reminder for men to take off their ball caps at lunch, but most of them remembered on their own.

All hats should be removed indoors, unless of course it's raining in the Dining room ;)

Howdy there Ladies,

This is Lisa and Gary LoneStarCruisinCouple and we are flying out tomorrow afternoon for Amsterdam.

Seeing that we shall be celebrating our 27th Wedding Anniversary while on our cruise and my lovely wife shall be dressing up for me I thought it was only fitting that I dress up for her as I am taking along Two Sports Jackets, Three Dress Shirts, couple pairs of Dress Slacks, some ties and figured also doing up for the Concert at Liechtenstein palace.

Yes I know maybe packing way too much but better to have too much than too little. Shall be cool in Amsterdam as while in Budapest at least for now shall be nice and Post Toastie. Hot.

So excited and just can't wait for all of the plans that we have made to start falling into place.