Review of Viking Grand European Tour on the Tor in November 2013

Kohola

Thank you, Kohola, for the wonderful, comprehensive review. I love that you broke it down one day per post so it is very easy to follow.

I am wondering about the weather during your journey. Did you have much rain and just how cold was it? Since it was November, how much day light did you have in Budapest?

Thanks,

Sharon

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much for this review/tour book. It is fantastic, and i've got it ready to begin my planning with. You've really helped get me started and excited. We just booked a few days ago, so this has made it real!

Janteach, Mschloe. You indicated you are sailing in late October. We're booked on the Viking Brugi, sailing on 10/25. Would either of you be on that cruise?? If so, should we start a roll call, or talk through this one?

Someone asked (forgot who, sorry) about going to Belgium. When we were on Tulips and Windmills, we left the group in Antwerp and took the train to Brussels. It was a highlight. Spent most of our time in the Grand Plac, and also found the Millennium Pis (famous statue of the little boy peeing in the garden). If time allows, I think this was well worth it, not to mention the scenery on the train.

• 1 year later...

Really enjoying this review since we will be taking the same trip in June 2016.

Hopefully people taking this cruise now will add their comments to update it.

We don't buy lots of souvenirs on our trips but are there some that people recommend from this cruise?

Edited by Kylie

I am jealous since I would do that trip again in a heart beat. We are doing Paris to Normandy in October so that is exciting too. As for souvenirs, I gave up buying anything but jewelry a number of years ago although I bought some scarves in Germany. Friends on the ship found great Pandora charms along the way. Make sure you buy Paprika in Budapest and local beers in the little markets in some of the small towns. You can take it on the ship and the bar tender will open it and supply glasses. Enjoy the cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hello, Just received the paper work packet for our cruise that leaves the end of September and decided to see what others had said in the past about the optional excursions that were offered and came upon your review WOW thanks ever so much for all the great information and advice. I know its been a couple years since you went and we're going in the opposite direction but other than that I can only imagine everything else except that we're on the Modi is probably close to the same. Mimi

Upstairs in an area that can be open or closed there are a some tables with a limited menu. Tables for 2/4/6 as I remember. Pasta dishes, hamburger and a couple of other choices. Much faster than the main dining room if you dont really want a long meal. I dont remember if the menu varied daily but it was nice for a change!

THANKS

One last question---there seems to be a few weeks in June to July that are the lowest prices---why?

Supply and demand...prices are lowest during the March and December time frames when weather would be suspect and prices are lowered again during the July/August periods when Europe is the hottest. They entice you with lower fares to fill their ships during periods where the weather could be a major factor to the enjoyment of the cruise.

I tour with a company that stops doing tours completely in the hottest months in the countries where heat is an issue like Greece, Spain and Portugal.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...