Meals on Viking

MeMe4A&J

I agree with the fact that food is subjective, and probably varies with the chef on each ship.

We were on the Viking Kvasir in late July. We found that breakfasts were for the most part good, with great omelet choices. Judy, the omelet maker, was great!

Lunches were ok. I didn't go to Germany to have a Shrimp Po Boy sandwich. Wish there had been much more "local" food offered. We thought dinners were the weakest of all the meals offered. You will not go hungry, but other than the German buffet dinner, no meals really stood out as delicious. There was an abundance of mushrooms during our week on the Kvasir. I happen to love mushrooms, but on the night that mushrooms were the theme in every course except dessert, I felt for those passengers who once again had to opt for the standbys of salmon or steak (which were dry and overcooked and tasteless when we opted for those choices). My husband ordered the seared tuna offered one night, and found it inedible. The tuna tartar served one night was very fishy tasting...not at all fresh.

We are not "foodies", but do appreciate fresh, good food. We hope that our experience is not the norm on Viking cruises, but when comparing our experience with our other cruises with Uniworld, Vikings offerings don't come close.

Dear Babcia7,

We regret to hear you felt the food aboard Viking Kvasir left much to be desired. Food, including local cuisine, is an important piece of an exceptional onboard experience. Though the topic is somewhat subjective, the condition of the food you have described, especially at dinner, certainly does not sound typical. Please contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com so that we may discuss your concerns in greater detail.

We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

I agree with the fact that food is subjective, and probably varies with the chef on each ship.

We were on the Viking Kvasir in late July. We found that breakfasts were for the most part good, with great omelet choices. Judy, the omelet maker, was great!

Lunches were ok. I didn't go to Germany to have a Shrimp Po Boy sandwich. Wish there had been much more "local" food offered. We thought dinners were the weakest of all the meals offered. You will not go hungry, but other than the German buffet dinner, no meals really stood out as delicious. There was an abundance of mushrooms during our week on the Kvasir. I happen to love mushrooms, but on the night that mushrooms were the theme in every course except dessert, I felt for those passengers who once again had to opt for the standbys of salmon or steak (which were dry and overcooked and tasteless when we opted for those choices). My husband ordered the seared tuna offered one night, and found it inedible. The tuna tartar served one night was very fishy tasting...not at all fresh.

We are not "foodies", but do appreciate fresh, good food. We hope that our experience is not the norm on Viking cruises, but when comparing our experience with our other cruises with Uniworld, Vikings offerings don't come close.

Food ratings are subjective. We were somewhat unimpressed with viking food in June 2014. We also swapped ships, Skadi to the Lif. Food was tastier on the Lif.

Choices are understandably limited on a riverboat but we were disappointed in the limited side dishes and accompaniments. We could not get a basic baked potato, side of rice or side salad.

Appetizer was tiny and there were no choices, it was on the table when we sat down.

Always available chicken had a strange consistency, cannot really describe it.

Always available steak was very grisly.

One night they served delicious German roast beef but not everyone got any, I had a tiny piece from the last roast they had. This was served on the night passengers got their own food in the kitchen.

Fish selections were good, not everyone eats fish.

Lunches featured pasta all fourteen days, different varieties and sauces. They had a nice salad bar and cheese and crackers, some fruit. They had soup as well.

They set out some lunch foods on the open terrace, one day they had delicious chicken kabobs. On another day the hamburgers were good.

Breakfast buffet was fine, someone made omelets to order.

They had some dessert events, very good Apple strudel. They had a late night snack for those out on evening excursions.

Wine is freely poured with lunch and dinner, greatly appreciated.

On my end of cruise survey I suggested a made to order sandwich bar at lunch, deli style sandwiches would have been great instead of the premade ones and the endless pasta.,

Edited by sammiedawg

Appetizer was tiny and there were no choices, it was on the table when we sat down.

That sounds like an Amuse-bouche. We've had these often in restaurants - usually something the chef wants people to taste. The menus that I've seen that other cruisers have posted always had an appetizer/starter section. Did you not have that on your cruise? Which one did you do?

Yes, there was an amuse bouche every night at dinner on each of our Viking cruises. Next came an appetizer, soup, salad, main and finally dessert. On our past two river cruises, Portrait of Southern France and Passage to Eastern Europe, not only did the chef offer local menus, but one evening on each sailing we had had a 'Taste of ...' dining experience which was so fun. Each offered regional dishes set up in not only the dining room, but the Aquavit Terrace, the lounge and even the galley, allowing for sampling of many dishes throughout the evening, including wines and desserts. Such a unique and pleasant experience.

Becki

That sounds like an Amuse-bouche. We've had these often in restaurants - usually something the chef wants people to taste. The menus that I've seen that other cruisers have posted always had an appetizer/starter section. Did you not have that on your cruise? Which one did you do?

We were on the Grand European and our menu choices were quite limited, especially the accompaniments and sides. We definitely did not have all the courses some have listed. I don't recall seeing regional dishes set up around the ship, other than a couple desserts like apple strudel in Vienna. They also had snacks set up for those returning from evening activities off the ship.

We were on the Grand European and our menu choices were quite limited, especially the accompaniments and sides. We definitely did not have all the courses some have listed. I don't recall seeing regional dishes set up around the ship, other than a couple desserts like apple strudel in Vienna. They also had snacks set up for those returning from evening activities off the ship.

We're doing the Rhine Getaway and that's what I've seen menus for. I understand they do a German night with the dishes set up all around the ship. The menus didn't look extensive but there looked like there were enough choices - for me anyway. And I love pasta! :)

Food is always subjective of course. We were on the Odin last December and overall thought the food was among the best we had tasted on any cruise (Granted, we have never sailed on a luxury line). I think with 177+ people on board there is no way to satisfy everyone. The foodies are disappointed if there isn't something new & exciting, then you have those that refuse to try anything out of their comfort zone. Personally I get so frustrated with those that write....."We are going to Europe/Asia/South America/Africa (Take your choice) & my spouse refuses to eat anything but chicken fingers/"American" food/pizza, etc." Why bother to travel if you are not willing to at least try a food from the region?

To OP, I hope the food is to your liking, but no way to know for sure until you have had the opportunity to try.

Personally I get so frustrated with those that write....."We are going to Europe/Asia/South America/Africa (Take your choice) & my spouse refuses to eat anything but chicken fingers/"American" food/pizza, etc." Why bother to travel if you are not willing to at least try a food from the region?

I agree - seriously! DH is a fussy eater and he feels safe if there is steak on the menu, but on vacation he gets daring and will try new things - as long has he has that steak as a fall back :)

If it helps, the courses you should expect on a Viking ship are as follows:

Amuse bouche

Starter

Main

Desert

Cheese

I know Viking do accommodate people selecting more than one item from a particular course when they can, so some will have both soup and salad for example even though they are 'officially' from the same course.

I just returned from Bordeaux, we traveled on the Viking Forseti. The food was outstanding and it was local regional French food. One night there was a man shucking oysters in the lounge for everyone. We also had a dinner at Chateaux Kirwin with unlimited wine. Viking offers an omelet / egg station for breakfast and ship made fresh yogurts. There was also fresh jams and the manager Bruno would go around and pass out croissoints at breakfast.

We always ate lunch outside on the deck instead of in the restaurant,, they grilled fresh salmon and sardines on different days plus there was always a variety of salads and sandwiches to eat. There was a different lemonade made everyday too. Food is very subjective, if you enjoy food and excellent wines i would suggest the Bordeaux river cruise.

Amuse bouche

Starter

Main

Desert

Cheese

I know Viking do accommodate people selecting more than one item from a particular course when they can, so some will have both soup and salad for example even though they are 'officially' from the same course.

That's good to know - I like soup (I'm a soupaholic :) ) and a salad or an appetizer and a salad.

Amuse bouche

Starter

Main

Desert

Cheese

Actually the "Starter" includes appetizers, salads and soups, so I wouldn't say they are "officially" from the same course.

I think it's designed so most people think they can just order one thing.

But we NEVER had any issue with ordering more than one. And I didn't feel we were being accomodated at all.

Actually the "Starter" includes appetizers, salads and soups, so I wouldn't say they are "officially" from the same course.

I think it's designed so most people think they can just order one thing.

But we NEVER had any issue with ordering more than one. And I didn't feel we were being accomodated at all.

I did go to the trouble of checking this with Viking and it was confirmed, the 5 courses are indeed as I specified, the 'Starter' is one course and the intention is that you order one item from that list.

They are used to people wanting more than one item and they do accommodate that, but they don't have to do so. The advertised meal is 5 courses and those are the 5 I listed.

I did find it interesting that they list 'cheese' as a separate course from 'dessert' where most include cheese as an option within dessert, so those who like both a dessert and the cheese plate can be assured they have been anticipated and catered for intentionally :)

Ordering both soup and salad though does remain outside of their intention, but they seem happy to allow it, but there really is no attempt to hide anything from guests, it is one course with one option to be selected, anything else is just at their discretion and they seem happy to do it when asked so it really isn't an issue I'd have thought?

We are on Viking Idi Rhine getaway right now. No issue whatsoever with ordering multiples from any course, none from other courses or combining the courses however you want. Staff and chef are more than happy to accommodate. Unlike large ocean cruise ships, the Idi chef, Jergen, is always out mingling with passengers during meals and throughout the day and asking how the food is or if he can prepare something else for the passengers. Very laid back and friendly crew who seem very happy to help. What they don't seem to do is check back with tables regularly so once you get used to the less formal atmosphere and call them over when you want a beverage or to order something there is no problem. Food is plentiful and available in the dining room and one level up on the Aquavit Terrace (buffet). A good variety of choices on the menu and buffet. We won't be leaving the cruise any lighter even with all the walking we are doing. :)

We are on Viking Idi Rhine getaway right now. No issue whatsoever with ordering multiples from any course, none from other courses or combining the courses however you want. :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying your cruise! Waiting impatiently for your report when you return! :p