Wine and beer questions

TravelingT

On my recent Viking river cruise we had wine or beer with both dinner and lunch onboard. Do any other river cruises include these gratis like Viking does?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vantage does. Also soda with dinner is included.

A better question would be, what lines do not, as it is standard practice.

IMO and IME, Uniworld had the best quality and selection of included wines (all day, at all venues). AMA has good quality wine included at lunch and dinner. Avalon includes wine as well, though we were not happy with the quality on our last two Avalon cruises.

Tauck and Scenic are all inclusive, all the time, as is Uniworld, with only a few exceptions.

Edited by caviargal

A better question would be, what lines do not, as it is standard practice.

IMO and IME, Uniworld had the best quality and selection of included wines (all day, at all venues). AMA has good quality wine included at lunch and dinner. Avalon includes wine as well, though we were not happy with the quality on our last two Avalon cruises.

Tauck and Scenic are all inclusive, all the time, as is Uniworld, with only a few exceptions.

I just wondered because on the website it is not usually mentioned as an amenity.

I just wondered because on the website it is not usually mentioned as an amenity.

You don't say which website(s). This is from AMA's website:

Every lunch and dinner on board includes free-flowing regional wines as well as complimentary beer and soft drinks. In Europe, complimentary sparkling wine is also served with breakfast. Bottled water, specialty teas and coffees are always available free of charge.

http://www.amawaterways.com/life-onboard/dining-and-cuisine

Well, my husband thinks that we didn't get wine/beer with lunch. I think we did, but I can't find the paperwork (right now) that says so.

I believe your husband is correct. We did the Elbe with Vantage and the only thing included at lunch was iced tea and water. I started to pick up a can of club soda at lunch and the waitress came running over and said "oh I need to write you a ticket for that." :eek:

Cole

I seem to recall this issue being mentioned on every line I researched, because I included the information in my decision matrix.

I just found it in a few different places on the Avalon website (that's the line we chose) http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Experience-Avalon/Inspired-Dining/

Sparkling wine at breakfast, sodas included at lunch, wine & beer & soda at dinner. Coffee always, including a machine (& pastries) in the aft lounge.

We found the wines ok, they did change the local wine most days and you often could opt for a previous day's choice. They also had local beer on tap (we were in Germany). Alcohol, like food, is quite subjective, but I will agree with the other posts that it is standard on river cruises to include at a minimum wine & beer with dinner.

Matter of fact, I vividly recall a woman looking for a line that *didn't* include alcohol as it's an amenity she wouldn't use and didn't want to pay for, and I don't recall any options offered. I'll see if I can find that thread and link for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1874753&highlight=alcohol

And also another http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147156&highlight=alcohol

Edited by Hoyaheel

From Uniworld's website ("True All-Inclusive Luxury" http://uniworld.com/true-all-inclusive-river-cruises): "All dining onboard and unlimited distinctive wines, beer, spirits, cocktails, specialty coffees and teas, soft drinks and mineral water." We thought the wine was excellent.

Edited by capriccio

Well, my husband thinks that we didn't get wine/beer with lunch. I think we did, but I can't find the paperwork (right now) that says so.

I believe your husband is correct. We did the Elbe with Vantage and the only thing included at lunch was iced tea and water. I started to pick up a can of club soda at lunch and the waitress came running over and said "oh I need to write you a ticket for that." :eek:

Cole

Vantage is relatively new to the beer/wine/soda included with meals and it depends on the trip. We're doing Amstedam-Basel starting next Friday and I'll pay attention to lunch, since we only drink wine at dinner. As for the Elbe, that could be one of the ones that doesn't include drinks. I haven't figured out the method to their plan yet.

Matter of fact, I vividly recall a woman looking for a line that *didn't* include alcohol as it's an amenity she wouldn't use and didn't want to pay for, and I don't recall any options offered.

If she drinks soft drinks, she's not paying any extra. In much of Europe, wine and beer is less expensive than soft drinks.

If she drinks soft drinks, she's not paying any extra. In much of Europe, wine and beer is less expensive than soft drinks.

That is so true! I remember that when I got a beer it cost as much any soft drink!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just trying to provide someone asking this question again with some previously posted information.

We only had lunch on our Avalon sailing one day, and I didn't ask or look for a beer or wine. I know that they had bottles of sparking wine at breakfast but I didn't partake. We had wine on all our lunch tours even the ones that were included. I thought the local wines in the evening were good, not spectacular, but very drinkable, and I am a wine snob.

jc

We only had lunch on our Avalon sailing one day, and I didn't ask or look for a beer or wine. I know that they had bottles of sparking wine at breakfast but I didn't partake. We had wine on all our lunch tours even the ones that were included. I thought the local wines in the evening were good, not spectacular, but very drinkable, and I am a wine snob.

jc

Oh my you would hate to sit at the table with me...I put ice cubes in red wine!! :D

I can understand not serving wine with lunch though, especially if it's included. If people aren't used to having wine at lunch, it could cause some unpleasantness during afternoon tours....especially if the heat wave keeps up.

Oh my you would hate to sit at the table with me...I put ice cubes in red wine!! :D

I am shuddering at the thought....:eek:

Although there are some red wines where that might be acceptable, but nothing I would ever serve. :D;)