Lower level cabin on Amawaterways

nelsjay

We're interested in cruising the Danube on one of Amawaterways newer ships, but the only cabins available are the lowest level. We have been on many ocean cruises and usually book mid level rooms, sometimes with full balconies. This would be our first river cruise.

How much of a compromise is a lower level cabin? Our alternative would be choosing a less desired ship, itinerary, or doing a land vacation.

Edited by nelsjay

We have friends that cruise with us on AMA who only take the Aquarium cabins. I have been in their cabins on three different vessels now and they are spacious and well appointed. There is no elevator access to that deck, if that makes a difference.

They are very happy to save the money to spend elsewhere.

I subscribe to the belief that I would choose the cheapest house in the best neighborhood over the most expensive house in the cheaper neighborhood and apply that to travel as well.

While it wouldn't be a preferred cabin for me, if it were the boat & itinerary I really wanted, sure I'd do it. You also could ask to be wait-listed for a larger/higher cabin if they'll do that for you? Sometimes people cancel....Esp if you're quite far out from the cruise.

We usually book Aquarium class (aka lowest category) by choice. We have completed 9 river cruises so far - and all but one in lowest category.

Itinerary (and date) is always our primary start point. If you have those in hand - and have found something you like - I suggest going with the entry level cabin.

Fran

We have done three river cruises. First one with Avalon Budapest to Amsterdam. We were on the top deck with a lovely French balcony loved it but perhaps we didn't spend as much time with other passengers as we enjoyed our suite. Second cruise was again with Avalon cruising the Mekong Siem Reap to Ho Chi Min City. We were on lower level but absolutely loved it. A little bit different to European Ships a lot smaller and we only had 32 passengers. Really a fabulous trip. Finally our third cruise was with APT(Aust) Amsterdam to Arles. We picked this up at a very reasonable price and we chose to be in Aquarium class. It was cooler weather so we did not miss the balcony at all. Actually we enjoyed our cabin. We would stand and watch swans passing by our windows and we really found that we tended to go up stairs and mix more with fellow passengers. We have met some wonderful life long friends from this particular cruise. If we get the chance to river cruise again we will definately save money and travel Aquarium.

This is the blog I have been writing about our recent river cruise on AMAPrima. In this post, there is a picture of an Aquarium class stateroom. I hope this helps you out.

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/vilshofen-germany-and-the-ama-prima/

Jane