August 26 update on low river impact

editor@cruisecritic

Hi, we've just posted our latest update on the impact of low rivers on Europe (mostly Danube and Elbe) cruises, and there's good news (and some not-so-good news).

Here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6455

In addition to the lines we cover in the story, we also have queries out to AmaWaterways, Vantage and Grand Circle and will add those as we receive them. Any other line that you want to hear from?

And yes, I'm in the same boat as many. I'm anxiously eyeing the skies around the Elbe as we're slated to cruise there the third week of September!

Are you headed out to Europe cruises on the Danube or Elbe? Keep us posted about what you're hearing.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

You are sailing the Elbe?? Correct :([/quote

Yep, leaving 11th Sept, they won't even answer 'what if' questions. Personally I think they've cancelled all the ones which should have sailed in the last few weeks but I'm trying to find out from them if they have any contingency plans, would rather a straight cancellation and refund.

The Cruise Companies don't want to provide this information in advance as they fear people will try and cancel.

We were on the Grand European Tour with Viking departing Budapest August 8th. We were aware of the low river levels, but there was never any official word from Viking of a potential ship swap.

It was only as we departed Passau, with the ship heading back downriver to Austria, that we were informed of a ship swap in two days and the necessity for two days of bussing.

We were then essentially hostage to their plans.:mad:

For most of these river companies it is a wait and see approach and everything is done last minute. "Don't' upset passengers unless you must" but this situation only leads to a very nerve wracking experience for travelers, especially considering how much money a river cruise can cost and how far in advance you must book!!

I'm seriously wondering if it is truly worth it. I've been watching river levels for almost a month wondering - How much of my cruise will be turned into an extended bus trip!!!!

Anticipating the trip is almost as much fun, but for some reason that fun has disappeared

We are currently on the Viking Freya traveling to Regensburg from Passau. At one point, we were told we might have to bus from Linz to Regensburg due to low water. However at the last minute this did not happen. We arrived in Passau as scheduled, and did our included tour. The optional afternoon tour was canceled because our boat left early to navigate through low water at a slower speed. We had a 30 minute bus trip to catch up to our boat, but this was not a big deal. The Viking staff has gone out of their way to deal with these continuing low water issues. This has been a great cruise so far. However, today was mostly sunny, and temperatures are going back up, so low water issues are still a concern.

Edited by Beach_Bum_64

After planning for 1 1/2 years, our time is finally here. We leave on Friday for our flight to Paris. We are doing the, Rivers and Castles, Paris to Prague on AMAwaterways. We board the Ama Dolce next Tuesday.

It "seems" like our route will be okay as far as low water. (I keep telling myself that anyway). We will end our river cruise portion of the trip in Nuremberg, before the section of the Danube that is so low.

I plan to post a review when we return mid September. I can't believe after all the research and planning we are finally leaving.

September 11 -- no one will have information at this point, alas -- the weather can be so changeable.

Glad to hear some positive feedback from recent cruises, thanks for sharing that!

Carolyn

You are sailing the Elbe?? Correct :([/quote

Yep, leaving 11th Sept, they won't even answer 'what if' questions. Personally I think they've cancelled all the ones which should have sailed in the last few weeks but I'm trying to find out from them if they have any contingency plans, would rather a straight cancellation and refund.

There has been a lot of rain over Europe during the past week and although it means that some will have a damp cruise in more ways than one at least cruises won't be canceled and not so many will have to do a ship swop. What I am really impressed with is that after the fiasco of a few years ago some at least of the cruise companies have been up front with their coping with the low water situation's and their customers are being kept in the loop. We pay a lot for our annual holidays and knowing what is happening is at leat one step in the right direction.

Happy cruising all CA

There has been a lot of rain over Europe during the past week and although it means that some will have a damp cruise in more ways than one at least cruises won't be canceled and not so many will have to do a ship swop. What I am really impressed with is that after the fiasco of a few years ago some at least of the cruise companies have been up front with their coping with the low water situation's and their customers are being kept in the loop. We pay a lot for our annual holidays and knowing what is happening is at leat one step in the right direction.

Happy cruising all CA

They are trying to be as upfront because they are losing business. I know several people who enjoy riving cruising like I do, but are not prepared to deal with the uncertainly which is always present with river cruising

Happy cruising all CA

So glad for those who don't have to do a swap because we did and it isn't much fun--and that includes the staff of the ships that have to completely clean and prepare for new passengers. However, the alternative is no cruise at all. I just wish, as others have said, that the cruise companies were more upfront. Nothing was ever posted, only thing ever said at our first briefing was there was a possibility and this was never mentioned again until we were on the river after our visit to Passau and heading back downriver to some little place in Austria. After that, the next day we bussed through Passau to Regensburg--2 hour trip, and then the following day we bussed again through Passau to Nuremberg--4 hour trip. BTW we spoke to cruisers from other ships as we progressed on the river and found out that no ships had gotten through for at least 3 weeks. Another bummer--the ship one day behind us--we tied up next to them in the Austrian town--made it through :( Good for them--not so good for us.

So glad for those who don't have to do a swap because we did and it isn't much fun--and that includes the staff of the ships that have to completely clean and prepare for new passengers. However, the alternative is no cruise at all. I just wish, as others have said, that the cruise companies were more upfront. Nothing was ever posted, only thing ever said at our first briefing was there was a possibility and this was never mentioned again until we were on the river after our visit to Passau and heading back downriver to some little place in Austria. After that, the next day we bussed through Passau to Regensburg--2 hour trip, and then the following day we bussed again through Passau to Nuremberg--4 hour trip. BTW we spoke to cruisers from other ships as we progressed on the river and found out that no ships had gotten through for at least 3 weeks. Another bummer--the ship one day behind us--we tied up next to them in the Austrian town--made it through :( Good for them--not so good for us.

Just to be clear?? You are talking about a cruise you took in early July, correct ????? I don't think you are referring to a cruise this last week.....

Edited by JVilleGal

Just to be clear?? You are talking about a cruise you took in early July, correct ????? I don't think you are referring to a cruise this last week.....
Au contraire, our trip was from 8/8 to 8/22 Budapest to Amsterdam. We swapped on 8/15 remember that particularly because we were so glad it was a Saturday as on Friday's 2 hour bus tour we were stuck in traffic due to work day traffic and road construction. Passing the same place on Saturday was a breeze. The situation on the rivers this summer is really bad as this is a 500 year drought (we were told this at every stop) and if it doesn't rain in a timely manner it quickly deteriorates. The biggest bogging down point on this cruise (and others) is between Regensburg and Nuremberg. There were ships from every major No. America/English-speaking oriented cruise line, European cruise lines lining the river everywhere you looked.

Any chance you took photos of all those ships lined up? Sounds like an interesting spectacle!

Carolyn

Au contraire, our trip was from 8/8 to 8/22 Budapest to Amsterdam. We swapped on 8/15 remember that particularly because we were so glad it was a Saturday as on Friday's 2 hour bus tour we were stuck in traffic due to work day traffic and road construction. Passing the same place on Saturday was a breeze. The situation on the rivers this summer is really bad as this is a 500 year drought (we were told this at every stop) and if it doesn't rain in a timely manner it quickly deteriorates. The biggest bogging down point on this cruise (and others) is between Regensburg and Nuremberg. There were ships from every major No. America/English-speaking oriented cruise line, European cruise lines lining the river everywhere you looked.

Yikes !!! Thanks for the clarification! Your post did not give a hint and I had to search old posts to try and figure it out.... Must have gotten the wrong post ;)

Here is what I was told about GCT's Essence of the Elbe. Berlin hotel as scheduled, transfer to ship in Wittenburg rather than Magdeburg as scheduled, several nights on board with excursions as scheduled (longest bus ride about 90 minutes), transfer to Dresden with several nights in hotel and excursions as scheduled and finally transfer to Prague for hotel stay as scheduled.

Any chance you took photos of all those ships lined up? Sounds like an interesting spectacle!

Carolyn[/quote ] We did not but were traveling with friends one of whom was our "official" photographer and knowing him he probably did. Once he posts them I'll share. Most often there were 2 or 3 in a row sometimes 2 or 3 in a row with rafting. These were spread all along the river. Our trip back to Austria on the river was a 2 hour boat trip from Passau but about a 20 min. bus ride!

Sorry I wasn't clear about the dates J'ville but my sail date is part of my signature if you look below this posting you will see it. Maybe you are new to CC and didn't know that? We got home late Sunday night and I'm general contractor essentially on a home renovation and everything began again early Monday morning. I have the day off today from the reno work but it's Grandma Day and I have a 50 mile ride to pick grandson up off bus. Excuses, excuses but I'm still feeling jet lagged :) AND a little crazy :)

Edited by GoInOnaCruz
Needed to clarify a statement I made

From the CC app on my iPhone signatures and titles don't show... That's why I didn't see your cruise and went searching, apparently not a good searcher :D

PS not nearly as new to CC as my "name" might imply ;)

Edited by JVilleGal

From the CC app on my iPhone signatures and titles don't show... That's why I didn't see your cruise and went searching, apparently not a good searcher :D

PS not nearly as new to CC as my "name" might imply ;)

Sorry I hope I didn't sound snarky. Didn't mean to. Anyway, let's hope that things are starting to calm down and cool down on the rivers. The experiences we had were really great but would have been even better without a swap. However, we are grateful that we got to experience all of the different countries/cultures (even within countries) we did. Great way to see a lot in a relatively short stretch of time! :)

No worry! We sail in 15 days from Amsterdam to there is nearly a month before we reach that part of the river! Gonna need to let it go....

Almost anything is better than the smoke from all the fires around us! Can't remember when I saw blue skies last, prayers for our Fire Fighters in Oregon & Washington, things are really bad :(