Help please for someone new to River Cruises.

marama

We are looking for our first European river cruise but it seems from the brochures we've seen so far that all of the tours are included, which really bumps the price up. We like to have the option of looking around on our own or just staying behind onboard with a book. Is there a company which offers this kind of thing? I loved the look of the Tauck boats, but I'm not interested in paying for displays of folklore dancing or listening to organ music or talks on local wine making. It reads like Butlins afloat (only the Brits will get this). We just want to chill out and enjoy the view. If anyone knows of less active quality river cruises they can recommend for lazy people like me, I'd be grateful to hear about them!

Those tours are included on all the companies marketing to North American & Australian travelers. Some incl more others less, the free tours on the less inclusive are just walking tours/orientation tours.

And they sell the additional tours. Tauck, Uniworld & Scenic are 100% all inclusive, while everyone else varies, but basic tours/walking are incl.

You don't have to take the walks, you can hang out on the boat or wander town on your own....

Edited by JVilleGal

And they sell the additional tours. Tauck, Uniworld & Scenic are 100% all inclusive, while everyone else varies, but basic tours/walking are incl.

Uniworld had a half dozen (at least) extra cost optional excursions on our Rhone cruise last month. Several of these were included on our AMA Rhone cruise last year and were our favorites on the AMA itinerary.

The devil is in the details.

I saw European rivers cruise companies that did not include excursions in German speaking countries and only some excursions in Hungary and in countries downriver on the Danube. I don't know which cater to English speakers and if they exclude excursions from the fare price. Maybe Lueftner does. They have an English website.

http://www.lueftner-************/en/home.html

It looks like it doesn't copy properly. Google the name and it will come up.

Edited by Floridiana

Uniworld had a half dozen (at least) extra cost optional excursions on our Rhone cruise last month. Several of these were included on our AMA Rhone cruise last year and were our favorites on the AMA itinerary.

Which excursions were extra cost on UniWorld that were included on AMA?

On the Budapest to Amsterdam Uniworld cruise this month there were 4 excursions that cost extra: Hungarian equestrian show; evening concert in a Vienna Palace; trip to Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna; and tour of Rothenburg. These were all afternoon or evening excursions so there were free excursions to participate in during the mornings. We didn't feel compelled to buy any of them (having already visited Schonbrunn and Rothenburg and having seen the Lippinzaners in Vienna). Those we talked to that did go on the excrusions seemed to think they were worth the additional money.

Edited by capriccio

Hello marama,

"not all-inclusive" river cruises are a tricky one these days indeed. Have you looked at Riviera Travel (UK-based)? I like their Medieval Germany itinerary in their brochure a lot, but the Rhine cruises also look appealing. From what I have read online they do include excursions but no alcoholic beverages in the prices. I could not see any specific onboard entertainment. Perhaps order a paper catalogue?

CroisiEurope is another one to check out, they are based in Strasbourg. Some cruises cater to Anglo-American markets.

Arosa (Germany) has been on the English-speaking market for a few years now. Their Amsterdam - Basel cruise caters both to German and English-speaking folks. You might be on a mixed cruise or on a cruise where everyone is a native speaker of English. Check with the company what they include, it might differ from cruise to cruise.

Overall, river cruises have a cultural aspect, mixing "low-key" onboard entertainment with guided tours, excursions and very good food. That can differ a lot between the companies. At least one itinerary item per day is normally included.

Lüftner, by the way, is quite high end among the European companies.

Be aware that on the long stretches on rivers sailing is very often during the night. For complete daytime cruising in Europe the Douro or the Garonne, i.e. Bordeaux are best, but the stretches sailed are relatively short around Bordeaux.

My cruise in 2013 included very few excursions, no alcohol at all, I bought a basic excursion package with a couple of additional ones on board on the first evening. I had a good mix of people on board with very good excursions along the Danube. At the time - it was a cold early Spring - the combinations were just right for my activity level. So, you could have a look at Transocean. The passengers cam from about five different countries and the cruise was "bi-lingual" throughout.

About the Butlins ;): well, I know what you are hinting at, but rest assured, altough I have not been to a Butlin's holiday camp I know someone who has, a river cruise is normally not like that. The children are missing, babies and toddlers up to the age of two are not allowed to travel with almost any companies. You are not obliged to take part in any activities and can certainly avoid the bingo (if there is any) by staying in your comfy cabin and watch telly.

On my cruise there was a couple that did not take part in any off-board activities due to the gentleman's health problems. The arrangement was perfectly fine.

Make sure you get a French balcony and avoid the Aquarium class if your emphasis is on scenery. Other cruisers can explain this better than me.

For scenery, of course, there are many options, perhaps choose that first and come back with specific questions for past cruisers. I am sure they love to share their experiences with you and are happy to answer with many details. :)

By the way, a new scenery, just added to the river cruising market, is the Loire. That river is currently only sailed by the unique Loire Princess of CroisiEurope.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

there are many choices. if you just want to relax and watch the scenery perhaps look closely @ the route and ports. then decide what level of comfort and amenities are important to you.

just because tours are listed, optional or otherwise does not mean the activities are mandatory. your trip/money your choice. we also like to cruise and enjoy doing things @ our pace and choice. some ships are beautiful and for some they are the destination not the off ship activities, especially if long bus trips are required. good luck.

Thank you so much everyone for your very helpful advice. There are quite a few companies which have been mentioned, which I had not heard of , so that's a good start. I will look them up. There are so many companies out there that it's bewildering!