Weather and water levels on the Rhine

sharden

We will be sailing the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam in mid September on the Avalon Felicity. Any info on what weather we can expect and any concerns about low water levels will be appreciated. We do not wish to be on a bus trip instead of a river cruise.

Edited by sharden

Hello sharden,

hostjazzbeau and the editors are doing a great job :) :) of keeping people informed as much as they can from a distance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252934

I am quite close to the waters of the Rhine and try to post some info every few days:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191352

Although things sound bad on the Elbe and Danube the Rhine is not affected as much due to its specific topography. Hopefully the next two weeks will see a slow but steady rise in water levels. According to the weather forecast the current heat will leave us on Tuesday and thereafter it will - alas - be an inevitable decline of temperatures into the autumn season.

Keep coming back to the board, and I am sure your cruise company will keep you abreast of things - after all the captains on their ships are as close to the water as one can get. :)

Safe travels. Enjoy your cruise, I am sure it will be great.

notamermaid

When we left the Rhine on Aug. 15th, it was extremely low. The lowest most people had seen in a very long time. They were expecting some closures the following week. One of our ports was changed because of the low levels. That said, I haven't heard of any official closings or changes and by the time you go, they should have received some rain and it should be manageable by then. ;)

You've just gotta roll with the punches. You never know what you're going to get.

Currently on Vantage Navigator Amsterdam to Basel....no problems with water levels in fact we've been arriving early at each port. Weather a little warmer than I'd like in Amsterdam and Cologne...poured yesterday in Luxembourg but today in Berkastel is glorious!!