on board currency exchange dawn princess

Acugirl

Hi there,

We are heading out on the Dawn Princess from Sydney on 18/12/08. Princess lines have told me that we can exchange AUD for CPF (pacific francs) at the pursers desk, but could not tell me how much they charge or what their exchange rates are.

Does anyone have experience with this as we are wondering if it might be less expensive to exchange some money before we sail.

As you can guess we are first time cruisers and this is all new to us.

Hi Acugirl, hope you have a great time, no doubt you will become as addicted as the rest of us. I have never changed money on any of our cruises as most ports accept the Aussie Dollar. Some people use their cards at the ATM's in the Ports they visit as it will issue you with the local currency. Not sure how much that costs, however, I am sure someone on here could help you out.

Hi there,

We are heading out on the Dawn Princess from Sydney on 18/12/08. Princess lines have told me that we can exchange AUD for CPF (pacific francs) at the pursers desk, but could not tell me how much they charge or what their exchange rates are.

Does anyone have experience with this as we are wondering if it might be less expensive to exchange some money before we sail.

Hi Acugirl, I have found it cheaper to buy the CP Francs through our local post office...the minimum is $200.00 AUS.

remember to use up the coins (unless you wish to keep some)

as the exchange only take notes.

most things are expensive in New Caledonia, two coffees were $12.00 aus. the duty free shops and some others take mastercard etc.

hope you have a wonderful cruise. The Dawn Princess is beautiful..

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

As said before, yes they all take Aussie Dollars and there are ATM etc.. the smaller places dont have ATMs and they are the places that you wouldnt spend much anyway and they still take Aussie money, so as long as you have a bit of cash (coins) for the islands thats all you need.

Hi there,

For your visit to Noumea you need to consider what you want to do. You can buy a sightseeing trip in the cruise terminal on the dock for A$20, and you do not need francs. If you want to buy a day pass on the Explorer Bus and/or go to the aquarium or cultural centre, you will need francs. Allow 1,000xpf each for the bus, and the same for each entry ticket. Taxis only take francs.

I think you are going to Lifou. You will not need francs there. The locals sell a short sightseeing trip and take AUD. You do not need vatu for Vila as AUD is accepted by the taxi drivers, markets and shops.

It is a bit cheaper to buy currency before you go, but with the bank you will pay a flat fee for each currency (usually $8). If you buy currency on board the ship, the rate is not as good, but there is no additional fee. If you get money from an ATM or use your credit card there will probably be a foreign exchange fee. With ANZ it is 3%.

Hope this helps. :):)

Evon.

Thanks for the helpful advice from all of you. I happened to be in the CBD here in Brisvegas yesterday so picked up a small amount for taxis etc. We fly to Sydney tomorrow for a few days before we sail. Getting very excited. Merry Christmas to all.

Acugirl

You will probably find also that local banking reps will come on board to do money exchange. They did on Regal Princess coming over from LA to Sydney last year.

Hi Les,

Didn't happen on the Sun Princess Tahiti cruise in Oct/Nov this year and I think the Purser's Office advised that they don't do that any more. The ship only had xpf. They didn't have NZ dollars, US dollars or the other currencies. At a couple of ports there was a money exchange set up on the wharf, either in a tent or in a mini van. :):)

Evon.

Archived