Vegemite/Marmite

mw8811

How funny, DH and I were just talking about both of these last weekend. I told him it is an acquired taste. You either like it or you don't. Hmmm, I should have not said anything and let him try it. Just to get the kodak moment. I have a friend in Austrialia and she loves it.

How funny, DH and I were just talking about both of these last weekend. I told him it is an acquired taste. You either like it or you don't. Hmmm, I should have not said anything and let him try it. Just to get the kodak moment. I have a friend in Austrialia and she loves it.

Many Aussies love it. DD has it about a quarter of an inch thick.

When she was little her Dr made her stop eating it as she developed an allergic reaction Vegemite sandwiches were about all she would eat.

They are all imposters. Actually it is a German discovery:

Are you sure that you aren't talking about cosmoline? Because I'm pretty sure it probably tastes like Vegemite.

Also: if a group of Aussies politely asks you if you would like to try a bit of Vegemite - all with an earnest and innocent look on their faces - refuse, as you are about to become their evening's entertainment.

The

apparently have a similar reaction to the stuff.

Bonus round:

not liking Vegemite Edited by WalkAboutTheWorld

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Vegemite in Australia fully expecting to hate it, based on comments such as those so far in this thread. I loved it! I think that it is best, as one poster suggested, spread very thinly onto buttered toast. I was delighted to find that my local supermarket (Wegman's) carries it, but only in the 220g jar; having it in a tube sounds like a great travel idea.

My stab at describing the taste would be that it is something like spreadable soy sauce. And Marmite, as far as I can tell, is diluted, drippy Vegemite.

If you've never tried it before - spread it VERY thinly. No more than the size of an aspirin tablet, to start with, on the end of a knife, for a single slice of buttered bread/toast.

I like it best on Ryvita, with a soft butter. Toasted rye bread is good too. Crunchy.

Lastly, it's very nutritious - many different B vitamins (from the yeast). But if you're on a low-sodium diet, you may want to give it a miss; it is very salty.

The salty taste goes well with the tannin in a good cuppa Rosie.

On an Australia/ New Zealand cruise a few years ago, I bought a couple of jars of vegemite to bring home to the U.S.. I had often read about it, but hadn't yet tried it, and was looking forward to enjoying it at home. I had packed the two jars in my carry-on, not remembering that at the airport anything of a gel consistency would be confiscated, and it was! I begged the agent to please let me at least taste it, as I didn't want to miss the experience. He said "Here, Sure. Go ahead." I thanked him and innocently dipped in my finger, scooped out a good sized dollop and popped it into my mouth. The face I made must have been terrible, because everyone around us was laughing hysterically! The agent cheerfully apologized and said he was sorry he didn't warn me, but he just had to see what would happen. He also hinted that in his country, they didn't much care for our peanut butter either. It was a memorable learning experience! I will look for the marmite on an upcoming Med. cruise and I will try it properly, very sparingly! One day I will find vegemite again, and I will give it, also, due respect!

On an Australia/ New Zealand cruise a few years ago, I bought a couple of jars of vegemite to bring home to the U.S.. I had often read about it, but hadn't yet tried it, and was looking forward to enjoying it at home. I had packed the two jars in my carry-on, not remembering that at the airport anything of a gel consistency would be confiscated, and it was! I begged the agent to please let me at least taste it, as I didn't want to miss the experience. He said "Here, Sure. Go ahead." I thanked him and innocently dipped in my finger, scooped out a good sized dollop and popped it into my mouth. The face I made must have been terrible, because everyone around us was laughing hysterically! The agent cheerfully apologized and said he was sorry he didn't warn me, but he just had to see what would happen. He also hinted that in his country, they didn't much care for our peanut butter either. It was a memorable learning experience! I will look for the marmite on an upcoming Med. cruise and I will try it properly, very sparingly! One day I will find vegemite again, and I will give it, also, due respect!

Good idea - to try it sparingly. The less you put on your toast the better it tastes - with the optimum amount being none.