Tricks, Tips & Advice for my first Cunard cruise?

lovely_serenity

Hi!

This November, my family and I are going to be embarking on our very first Cunard cruise to the Mediterranean. We are going on the Queen Elizabeth to the Geek Isles & the Holy land. (It will be my 8th cruise though)

I was wondering if any of you veteran Cunarders out there had any tips, tricks or advice that would help maximize our enjoyment on this vacation. Perhaps even help us evade any unpleasant experiences!

Anything helps!

Thanks! :)

Edited by lovely_serenity

Oh interesting, they serve lunch at the pub? I didn't know that! Is there a surcharge?
Hi lovely_serenity,

No, no charge for pub lunches, but the place is very popular so get there early!

Queen Elizabeth is a great cruise ship, the Royal Court Theatre is astounding, hard to believe its on a ship. I'm looking forward to sailing on her again one day. There are many photos of her interiors (including the Golden Lion Pub and the Royal Court Theatre) via the link below, to get you "in the mood" I hope, and help you anticipate your cruise even more!

Ask away if you've further questions, there are many friendly people here (only one or two bite!), and we love to help if we can.

All best wishes, Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Cripes, Barry, that's your best tip? :eek:

:D -S.

Well -- yes! Except maybe for the old travel perennial of -- on the night before departure, put all your clothes and all your money onto your bed . Then halve the clothes and double the money!! :)

Barry

Hi lovely_serenity,

No, no charge for pub lunches, but the place is very popular so get there early!

Queen Elizabeth is a great cruise ship, the Royal Court Theatre is astounding, hard to believe its on a ship. I'm looking forward to sailing on her again one day. There are many photos of her interiors (including the Golden Lion Pub and the Royal Court Theatre) via the link below, to get you "in the mood" I hope, and help you anticipate your cruise even more!

Ask away if you've further questions, there are many friendly people here (only one or two bite!), and we love to help if we can.

All best wishes, Bon Voyage!

Hi pepperrn!

Wow that's great to hear! I am so excited for this cruise! I definitely am getting more hyped up about it after looking through your flickr QE pictures, they are so pretty! Your camera is awesome, and so are your picture taking skills. I also happened to scroll down and saw that you've been to SO many amazing places! That's awesome (:

I actually do have another question, our cruise is going to be a 12 night cruise. How many formal nights are there going to be? (most likely)

Well -- yes! Except maybe for the old travel perennial of -- on the night before departure, put all your clothes and all your money onto your bed . Then halve the clothes and double the money!! :)

Barry

Barry, why didn't you tell me that years ago! Now I have all these fancy clothes, and no money to double :o:D

That only confused me more LOL ^^"

You are not alone...Welcome to the Cunard forum - :D

BTW, the photos you posted on the HAL forum* are very interesting. You're a very talented young woman -not many teenagers have your writing and photography skills.

*http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1841439

Edited by Salacia

The dates of your formal nights should be on your Voyage Personaliser.

If you have not watched it, here is a good video about life on QE.

Enjoy your cruise!

I can't access my Voyage Personaliser until Monday :(, so I'm still on the edge of my uninformed seat LOL.

I'll watch it right away!

Another question, what percent of male guests do you think wear tuxedos on formal night? (And not just a suit)

Another question, what percent of male guests do you think wear tuxedos on formal night? (And not just a suit)
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your very kind words about my photographs :o . So pleased you enjoyed them.

Recently my voyages have been crossings on QM2 (which tend to be rather more formal) rather than cruises on QE/QV, but when I was last on QE I think around 90% of men wore dinner suits ("tux"/"black tie") on formal nights.

Now (here we go... :eek: ), recently there has been a change of dress-codes, some passengers are reporting that has made no difference to the formal night (they are just as they were), some are saying that more men are wearing dark suits. Your partner will not look out of place in either a dinner-suit or dark suit, his choice (or yours ( ;) )).

Except for one short voyage (when there was no "formal night"), I've ALWAYS taken my dinner-suit ("tux") as the vast majority of men will be wearing similar on formal nights.

Hope this helps, thanks again :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your very kind words about my photographs :o . So pleased you enjoyed them.

Recently my voyages have been crossings on QM2 (which tend to be rather more formal) rather than cruises on QE/QV, but when I was last on QE I think around 90% of men wore dinner suits ("tux"/"black tie") on formal nights.

Now (here we go... :eek: ), recently there has been a change of dress-codes, some passengers are reporting that has made no difference to the formal night (they are just as they were), some are saying that more men are wearing dark suits. Your partner will not look out of place in either a dinner-suit or dark suit, his choice (or yours ( ;) )).

Except for one short voyage (when there was no "formal night"), I've ALWAYS taken my dinner-suit ("tux") as the vast majority of men will be wearing similar on formal nights.

Pepper, I'm sure you will enjoy the photograhps taken by the OP -a very talented photographer and writer who recently celebrated her 17th birthday! See Sarah's thread here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1841439

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Pepper, I'm sure you will enjoy the photograhps taken by the OP -a very talented photographer and writer who recently celebrated her 17th birthday! See Sarah's thread here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1841439

Salacia

Thank you Salacia, excellent pictures, taken by someone with a real gift and natural flair for photography! And so much detail in the posts, wonderful to read. Sarah, well done :) , superb, can't wait to read about QE when you return, and see your photos.

Best wishes to Salacia and Sarah!

Edited by pepperrn

You are not alone...Welcome to the Cunard forum - :D

BTW, the photos you posted on the HAL forum* are very interesting. You're a very talented young woman -not many teenagers have your writing and photography skills.

*http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1841439

Haha :D

&& Thank you! You are too kind (: If you read it, I hope you enjoyed it! :)

Hi Sarah,

Hi Pepper,

Not at all! They were deserving! ^^~

I'm actually asking on behalf of my father (no partner yet, my parents still don't want me dating yet LOL, they say I'm too young :D), I will be travelling with Mum, Dad and younger Sis. So the only man here will be Daddy ^^. It's because he rarely finds a use for a tux that he doesn't have one, so he usually just wears a dark suit + tie. I was worried that that'd look too casual compared to everyone else :/. For formal night I mean. What do you think? (By the way, I've watched the video you linked me to plus multiple others from the same channel, they made me SO hyped up for it I'm overly excited now LOL).

Salacia

Salacia,

Haha, very nice of you to mention ;) thanks! && thank you for the indirect compliments ^^.

Thank you Salacia, excellent pictures, taken by someone with a real gift and natural flair for photography! And so much detail in the posts, wonderful to read. Sarah, well done :) , superb, can't wait to read about QE when you return, and see your photos.

Best wishes to Salacia and Sarah!

=^^= You flatter me. Thank you very much! Did you really read all of that? It'd take you a whole week to finish something like that LOL. It took a good 2 months to write too!

Yes, indeed. I plan on writing another report like that as soon as I come back, so look forward to something along the lines of "Live from", something with my name on it, or "1st Cunard Experience" :)

Btw thanks again!