Shopping in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas

BC Gal Ann

We are wanting to do a lot of shopping.....

As we have never been to Mexico before we are uncertain where to go and what to shop for.

We are crusing to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. We are wanting to see where the locals shop for clothes and groceries. We are also wanting to purchase items to bring home - items like jewelery, trinkets, tee shirts, dresses and whatever catches our fancy. Could anyone recommend some shopping areas or stores to us. We would love to go to some markets if there are any.

Has anyone hired a pulmonia in Mazatland and how much did it cost to take them from the cruise terminal to the shopping area?

We are also going to hire a taxi or pulmonia to take us on a small tour of each town if this is possible. Does anyone have an ideal of how much a person would offer to hire them for an hour or 2.

We really do not want to insult anyone.

Thanking you in advance for any information that you can give to us.

Have a wonderful day to each and every one of you.

Ann

We are wanting to see where the locals shop for clothes and groceries.

Ann

In Cabo, the locals shop at mega grocery/clothing stores like "CCC" (pronounced say, say, say), "Soriana's", "Mega", Costco, and WalMart. The first 3 I mentioned are like "Super WalMarts". Just Mexico's version of them.

It will be similar in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta except that Puerto Vallarta has a Sam's Club instead of Costco.

Costco and WalMart in Cabo will be a fairly expensive cab ride to get to. Mega is at least 15 miles away, near San Jose del Cabo and even more expensive by cab. "CCC" and "Soriana's" are probably a $10 ride each way from the marina in Cabo.

And by the way, WELCOME TO CRUISE CRITIC!

Be careful of some of the taxis. They are in "cahoots" with underhanded jewelry stores . If you want to buy jewelry, please attend the cruise port lecture and only buy from cruise approved stores (especially in these Mexican ports).

We bought jewelry only to find out when we got home that it was nothing more than costume jewelry. Because this was Mexico, there were international rules that had to be followed when we tried to return it and when we tried to get our credit card to stop payment. We learned our lesson (no lectures.....I know, I know) and I am now the proud owner of junk jewelry. I won't even get it out of the box to look at it. Maybe someday I will have a granddaughter and I will let her have this pretty stuff to play dress-up with.

I know that I have posted this before but I do not want this store to get one more dime from any US citizen. Do not buy anything from a jewely store in Old Mazatlan. The store is Pia Gioielli The manager is Carlos Velazquez Ortiz and the address is Constitucion 521, Col. Centro, Mazatlan.

I hope Carlos gets swine flu

Opposite the cruiseterminal in P. Vallarta you will see Walmart and Sams.

A little to the left a nice Galleria Mall with a.o. the shop Liverpool and a nice collection of other shops. From the balcony of the foodcourt you will have a nice view of your ship.

Next to the terminal is a flea market with a selection of souvenirs.

Also "Sorrianas" a mexican supermarket is walking distance from the terminal..

In Old Town - either take a bus or cab - you will find plenty of other stores

We are wanting to do a lot of shopping.....

As we have never been to Mexico before we are uncertain where to go and what to shop for.

We are cruising to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. We are wanting to see where the locals shop for clothes and groceries. We are also wanting to purchase items to bring home - items like jewelery, trinkets, tee shirts, dresses and whatever catches our fancy. Could anyone recommend some shopping areas or stores to us. We would love to go to some markets if there are any.

Has anyone hired a pulmonia in Mazatland and how much did it cost to take them from the cruise terminal to the shopping area?

We are also going to hire a taxi or pulmonia to take us on a small tour of each town if this is possible. Does anyone have an ideal of how much a person would offer to hire them for an hour or 2.

We really do not want to insult anyone.

Thanking you in advance for any information that you can give to us.

Have a wonderful day to each and every one of you.

Ann

Often pictures (maps) are easier to understand than words. I'll start you off with the map with the port. http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html

You can work your way (south) by using the link at the bottom of each map. Municipal markets are listed along with the various grocery stores (most are like our super-walmarts).

The "Downtown" shopping district runs along the length of the Malecon. http://www.vallarta-info.com/downtown.html Tourist shops are close to the Malecon with regular stores on the next two streets away from the bay. The "flea market" is located along the bottom of the map.

The "south side" is old-town. http://www.vallarta-info.com/south.html The shopping district extends along Olas Altas with additional shops and restaurants along Basilo Badillo. A glass factory outlet store is located at the NE corner of Basilo Badillo & Insurgentes.

Look at the Liverpool Mall, Walmart/Sams first. Then grab a taxi to the Hotel Rosita on the north end of the Malecon and walk south from there.

Enjoy!

Don't expect a lot from the Walmart in PV, it compares to a really run down K-mart. The selection is not good and the bathrooms smell like they are never cleaned.:eek: We weren't really too impressed with it.

If you are looking for souvineers to take home from the vendors, do most of your shopping at the first two ports, as when you get to Cabo they will not negotiate nearly as much on their prices.

We've done this itinerary twice and shopped for tourist junk (blankets, pull-overs, baskets, etc.) in all three ports both times. There are plenty of flea market options in each port, but the quality/price varies greatly.

Cabo San Lucas - There is a flea market right outside the tender pier and vendors all along the walkway leading into town. We found this port to have the highest prices and most aggressive vendors.

Puerto Vallarta - There is a flea market right outside the cruise terminal. In addition, there is one on the river walk at the south end of the Malecon. The prices were ok and the vendors only moderately pushy.

Mazatlan - There is a shop area you walk through at the terminal which didn't impress us much. Across the parking lot is another flea market. On both trips we shopped there at the end of our day in Mazatlan and found the best quality stuff and that the vendors more low key and willing to negotiate. We have driven by, but not stopped at, the big market downtown near the cathedral - next time we want to wander through there.

There are also wandering vendors on just about any beach you park yourself on.

San Diego Airport - We found a lot of items in the airport gift shop for less than the initial prices quoted in any of the Mexican Ports. It might be worth checking there first if you are flying into that port so you don't get ripped off.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all so very much for all of your advise and information.

In PV, we are going to do the flea markets and all of the tourists markets. Possibly rent a taxi for a short tour of the town. Of course purchase some silver jewelery with the stamp in it.

In Mazatlan we are going to go in a pnumonia and visit the market downtown, walk around the shops there and hopefully just relax and enjoy the old part of Mazatland - We will also rent a pnumonia for a hour or so, if that is possible and tour around - of course we will go to the Golden Zone.

In Cabo, we will get off the ship and walk around, see a few things - then board the ship early.

We are going to have an amazing time no matter what...

Thanks again

Ann

Ine gives great advice. The Soriana, which is a couple of blocks south of the cruiseship docks is a great place to shop for some snack stuff, sunscreen, liquor, etc. get cash from the ATM. A few blocks further south is Peninsual mall with a Starbuck's if you need a coffee fix.

I highly suggest you just grab a bus from in front of Soriana and go to the Malecon. The bus will say "Centro" on the front - it is 5.5 Pesos per person. (about 45 cents)- you can get Pesos at Soriana if you do not have any. Just buy something, pay in U.S. as you will get Pesos back in change.

The bus will go through the hotel zone and into the city, and at the start of the Malecon, it will take a left at Parque Hidalgo. Get off here and you can walk the entire Malecon. Plenty of shops and bars and restaurants, as well as the main plaza, church, etc. and then over the bridge will be the Mercado on the Rio Cuale. Although, you will find most of the same stuff at the little shops all around it or on Isla Rio Cuale.

It is best to buy in Pesos as the exchange rate is about 12.50 to 13.00 Pesos to the Dollar at the banks, casa de cambios or via an ATM machine. Some business only give an exchange of 10.00 to 12.00 Pesos to the Dollar, so exchanging you money before you purchase saves you money right off the bat.

There are some great shops in the area of Basilio Badillo and Constitucion- a few block radius. La Bohemia sells the most awesome gauze and manta clothes and San Miguel shoes which look great but are extremely comfy.

So, be sure to try to hit this area as well and then a few more blocks to the Ocean is Los Muertos beach with lots of beachside reataurant/bars for a cold cocktail.

Take a taxi back to the Martime Terminal (Cruise ship dock)

I live on the Mexico border in Texas and have been to Puerto Vallarta & Cabo in the past a few times. Don't accept the price the vendor or store gives you (unless it is like a Wal Mart or such) - bargain with them. They always start high and more often than not they will come down in their price.

DJ127

For Cabo I would suggest that you book a van and driver for three or four hours and go to San Jose del Cabo ...the small town north of Cabo. The shopping there is great....small stores....art...clothing...jewellery...pottery....and a great sidewalk cafe called Tropicana on the main drive.

We were told that about 50% of the population of San Jose Del Cabo is Canadian....even some of the shops are owned by Canadians. It is worth the cost of the van and guide....not expensive.

We book the van and driver through Johann&Sandra...check their Cabo site.

Archived