TA vs Celebrity

PoppyandNana

We have been using one of the larger online booking agents for our cruises. We do all the research. Basically our rep is an order taker.

What is the general thinking out there? Is dealing with X directly the best way to go or is there no general difference? Where do brick and mortar agencies fit into the equation?

There is a wide range of opinion. For years I have booked directly, but with the increased amount of OBC being offered by the large TA's, it is hard to justify booking directly, as long as you trust the TA, and know the TAs change and cancellation policies and fees.

There have been lots of threads on this topic. If you do a search you will get lots of opinions and experiences.

Like you I do my own research and use a TA to book. I use the TA for the OBC and so I don't have to sit on hold with Celebrity when I want to make a change to the reservation.

There is a wide range of opinion. For years I have booked directly, but with the increased amount of OBC being offered by the large TA's, it is hard to justify booking directly, as long as you trust the TA, and know the TAs change and cancellation policies and fees.

I find that since I book early, that the big on-line TAs never seem to have the cruise that I want to book listed. I book direct.

Why not book yourself the transfer the booking to one of the big agencies that give the large OBC? I transferred my transatlantic cruise and am getting 2000.00 in OBC

I find that since I book early, that the big on-line TAs never seem to have the cruise that I want to book listed. I book direct.

I am assuming you have a very expensive suite if the travel agency is giving you an additional $2,000 OBC. My TA gives between 8-10% OBC so it pays for me to transfer within the 60 days. But I always keep a very close eye on the prices as the travel agents dont have the time to do it.

I have always used a TA. If I book onboard it is transferred to my TA. If I have any problems and I have at times. Never big problems. I leave it to a professional my TA. That gives myself more time to work at my profession.

15 night Constellation transatlantic, Rome to Ft Lauderdale on 4 November.

Ocean View cabin on Celebrity website... $1129pp with no OBC. :(

Ocean View cabin on travel agency website... $799pp with $250 OBC :)

Either way, you're able to get the $250 shareholder OBC... :D

You can take your pick, but I know which one I booked through. :rolleyes:

I just booked with a large TA and am already having doubts. :(

I want to be in control and check things in print on MyCelebrity and/or on the paper invoice that Celebrity sends out.

The TA does not show my booking with $$$ amounts online. The email that was sent out has a pitiful description of what I booked and what I am receiving in perks. Perhaps I will get something different in a few days.

Having said that, I did get a great deal by transferring my cruise to this TA (it was really a new booking. They cancelled my old booking and grabbed my original stateroom.)

I posted this story on another thread:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46962657&postcount=23

Unless a TA is offering great benefits, I usually book the cruise directly with Celebrity. I very much dislike giving up control of my reservation and although I hate being put on hold, feel I do much better if I speak to Celebrity, myself. Tenacity is key...never take "no" for an answer.

We used the same big on-line TA that we always use for our next 3 cruises (b2b2b) and saved $2030 each over the Celebrity price. We received the 123 Go offer on 2 of them, the third not being eligible. These are group bookings and the disadvantage was that we could not book A2 and get A1. I'm happy with A2 for that saving.

When you are an experienced cruiser and you know what you want, I think it is fine to go with an "order taker".

Edited by TeaBag

Closing in on 60 cruises.

Number booked direct: 0

With the money we have saved (e.g., group bookings) + OBC we have received (which is fully refundable if not used) I would guess that somewhere around 4 or 5 of those cruises have been fully paid by the total of those benefits.

Would never (obviously) consider booking direct. It is like shopping at an "Outlet" store where you pay more for an item (and which is usually lower quality) than you would on sale at a department store.

Closing in on 60 cruises.

Number booked direct: 0

With the money we have saved (e.g., group bookings) + OBC we have received (which is fully refundable if not used) I would guess that somewhere around 4 or 5 of those cruises have been fully paid by the total of those benefits.

Would never (obviously) consider booking direct. It is like shopping at an "Outlet" store where you pay more for an item (and which is usually lower quality) than you would on sale at a department store.

Good for you. We have also received about 9% OBC from our online TA on our 15 cruises. Have never understood the concern about "controlling my own reservation".

I've used direct, brick & mortar and online agencies

After several bookings and referrals to brick & mortar I asked for discount or OBC and was refused (usually got wine or strawberries) so I went with a couple of online agencies for OBC

When there were reductions or promotions I was almost always told I was not eligible. I found all the sailings myself and cabins -- and found it harder to communicate with the TA than Celebrity directly. Once the booking was made it was one hastle after another and lots of mistakes. This last sailing we booked direct and had another promotion added.

I'm not saying I'll never use another agent -- just interview carefully and make sure you know all the policies. And good luck

Happy sailing

I book direct, have transferred to an agency sometimes...but also received wonderful free upgrade to a Royal Suite when booking direct once so I think each side has its advantages.....the OBC being the ONLY reason I would transfer...and it would have to be substantial....still waiting for that next upgrade...lol!!:D

[color="black"

[/color]We have used a large online agency for the last number of years. Service has been excellent and extra benefits have been significant. The last several cruises we have booked direct while onboard. This has resulted in more credits from Celebrity and then, after leaving ship, we have transfered booking to online agency. For two upcoming Europe cruises, we received 123Go from Celebrity (chose drink package and shipboard credit), and an extra shipboard credit from Celebrity for onboard booking. When cruises were transfered to online agency, that agency matched the extra shipboard credit from Celebrity and also gave us prepaid grats. So, paid well to book onboard and then transfer to agency!

As for brick and mortar agencies, I have never seen a benefit as they do not offer same level of perks as the online agency I use. Oh, by the way, we always call the online agency and deal direct with an agent. This costs nothing extra and allows you to know exactly what is happening.

Unless a TA is offering great benefits, I usually book the cruise directly with Celebrity. I very much dislike giving up control of my reservation and although I hate being put on hold, feel I do much better if I speak to Celebrity, myself. Tenacity is key...never take "no" for an answer.

I sold control of my next cruise to an on line travel agency for $413. It's the 12 day transatlantic on RCL's Allure. The agency gave me prepaid gratuities for two ($12 per day each) and $125 obc that I will bring home. The price I paid never got lower and I have no need to talk to them at night or on the weekend.

It just depends.

Usually we will transfer a booking to a TA because usually they offer sufficient additional perks and/or a lower price that makes it worthwhile, so it is just a matter of selecting the best offer each time.

But when we can pick up a rock bottom price directly from the cruise line in situations where a TA is unable to offer any appealing incentives, then we keep the booking with the cruise line.

It is not worth the hassle of bothering to involve a third party unnecessarily if they can't offer us anything more than a bottle of wine.

I've never used a TA. And while I'm intrigued by the extras I might be able to get by using one, I just don't know enough. People talk about the what they get, but only obliquely reference where they get them. (I understand that here we can't talk specifics, but I've also asked elsewhere and gotten very little specific information.)

With my luck, I'd misinterpret all the cryptic clues and end up with a TA that completely messed me up. So I guess I'll be sticking with what's worked so far.