Summit Bermuda concierge question

Fish Lover

Hi,

My mom and I have decided to hire an air conditioned car and driver for the day during our second day in port. We'd like him to drive us around, stop where we would like etc.

Can this be arranged on board by the concierge? We are in Aqua class. Is there a special designated concierge? as anyone else done something similar?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hi,

My mom and I have decided to hire an air conditioned car and driver for the day during our second day in port. We'd like him to drive us around, stop where we would like etc.

Can this be arranged on board by the concierge? We are in Aqua class. Is there a special designated concierge? as anyone else done something similar?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

You can get really good information on the Bermuda port of call board. There are some great folks who live there, and post frequently.

The concierge on the ship doesn't arrange private excursions. (Can you imagine the liability issues if something were to go wrong with your excursion, and the concierge was responsible?)

Edited by DinaS

We've been able to do this on every other cruise line.

As an attorney, I actually don't believe they would be assuming any liability at all. Just as they assume no liability with any excursions you book, even those booked though the cruise line.

Has anyone ever tried to make arrangements through the concierge. This seems to me to be one of the reasons you have a concierge (just like any other hotel).

Absolutely, I would go to the concierge desk which is next to guest relations on the afternoon you board. They can arrange it. That is what a concierge does among other requests.

I would also join your roll call for your particular sailing. You will see the posts of others who will be on your sailing.

Absolutely, I would go to the concierge desk which is next to guest relations on the afternoon you board. They can arrange it. That is what a concierge does among other requests.

I would also join your roll call for your particular sailing. You will see the posts of others who will be on your sailing.

Good idea to join the roll call but also here is a link to Cruise Critic Bermuda board where you can get other info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Also, you might go to one of the roll calls of a cruise that has already sailed, someone might give you the name of a cab. This is a little iffy because many don't go back to their roll calls after they have sailed.

Just as an FYI, the concierge listed in the benefits is available to the entire ship and has limited hours which are listed in the daily

Edited by dkjretired

Hi,

Yes, the concierge is the person to see for making such arrangements.

That is exactly the sort of thing the concierge does, and our experience has been that they do it very well.

They have the knowledge and the contacts, so we have found that letting them make the arrangement for us under special or unusual circumstances has been much easier and more efficient than trying to do it on our own.

Celebrity even advertises this service on their website.

Here is a link

Private Journeys | Celebrity Cruises

But I guess I should add that each time we used the services of the concierge (for different reasons at different ports on different cruises), we contacted the concierge and made the arrangements right on the ship, not in advance.

Edited by fleckle

The concierge on the ship doesn't arrange private excursions. (Can you imagine the liability issues if something were to go wrong with your excursion, and the concierge was responsible?)

How recently did this change occur?

It is a service that was routinely provided by the concierge in the past, so apparently something must have happened if it is no longer offered.

The last time a ship's concierge made such arrangements for us on a Celebrity cruise was a year ago.

What is the source of your information?

Please share it with the rest of us.

How would the liability issues be any greater for the concierge than for any other employee who books a cruise or a shore excursion or an airport transfer for you?

Edited by fleckle

Fish Lover,

Just for clarification, the Destination Concierge, whom you should see about your private car tour, is located in the Shore Excursions area on Deck 3, directly across from the midship elevators, is NOT the same as the Concierge, who is located on Deck 3, next to Guest Relations.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm just used to keeping lawyers headed in the right direction! ;)

Derek (Practice Manager)

DinaS,

Celebrity ships have a Destination Concierge, whose function Celebrity describes as:

"Our Destination Concierge will help ensure a seamless, worry-free experience when you go ashore. They have an in-depth knowledge of the ports of call on every itinerary and they can also help make your experience even more exclusive by reserving a table for you at a recommended restaurant or securing hard-to-get tickets to a special show in town. They're your onboard destination experts. Be sure to ask about our Celebrity Exclusives excursions—each promises a once-in-a-lifetime experience."

They are located in Shore Excursions and are not the same as the Concierge, located adjacent to Guest Relations.

They are also not the same as the Suite and VIP Concierge who is located in Michael's Club, whose duties are described as:

"Michael’s Club Concierge provides a personalized guest service experience. Services include specialty dining reservations, booking shore excursions, handling inquiries about car rentals or restaurants in ports of call. Concierge Desk hours will vary by itinerary."

Note that the "Celebrity Exclusives" excursions, booked by the Destination Concierge, include one that is the same as that taken by the passengers on the Holland America Alaskan cruise, who recently lost their lives.

I can assure you, that, no matter what any contracts or releases say, in the case of any injury or loss resulting from any excursion or activity booked by a cruise line, the cruise line will be sued and their insurance company will settle the claim accordingly. Such claims may be subject to international limitations on liability based on, for example, where the ship is flagged and/or where the incident occurred. The cruise line (presumably) understands the law and accepts the potential for liability when they offer such services.

Derek

Edited by mr_bad_example
spacing

Thanks all. You have been very helpful!

Derek,

As an attorney that needs to be headed in the right direction every day, I really appreciate your specificity ;)

As you know, liability and having a suit filed are two very different things. And unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon what side you are on), it is often more cost effective to settle than pursue vindication.

Fish Lover,

This is a (too) litigious world. Katherine and I are certified as mediators, and K is certified as a conciliator, as well. Mediation and conciliation permeate our view of case resolution. When dealing with children and families, we recognize that, in almost every case (with the exception of abuse by one parent of the other parent, the children, or both), everyone is best served by a negotiated solution, in which the parties make the decisions that are in the best interests of their children. After all, they have to co-parent together, even if they are divorced! Why let the man or woman in the robe, a stranger to this family, make decisions about the children? How does he or she know better? It is a sad day when lawyers use the courts for their own pecuniary interests and when parents use the courts to punish each other. We do not abide by this behavior.

That being said, in the event you are injured during your private car tour booked by one of the many Celebrity concierges, please allow us to refer out your case to a Bermudian firm, who will, we are sure, (threaten to) sue everyone! ;)

Offered for the humor of the matter!

Derek and Katherine

Edited by mr_bad_example
Closing

Derek & Katherine,

I agree with you 100% and I abhor the reality that attorney's use the fact that suing becomes so expensive, they can elicit a settlement out of a defendant that has no liability. It is disgraceful.

The best outcome, in most civil cases, is always a negotiated one.

Audrey