Who remembers when.....

fridaythe13th

I remember the New York Times Fax at Sea and real libraries. I miss both of them!:(

Ihad NY Times at Sea paper everyday on my recent HAL Veendam cruise. look for it daily and would miss it if discontinued.

I remember having a set of menus presented on the last night, along with a 'Log of My Cruise' which we had signed by all our new friends.

There was a passenger list outside the 'Purser's Office' to check for friends from previous cruises.

Cash was used for all purchases on board and tipping only happened (in cash) on the final evening. (No suggested daily service charges, just envelopes)

All 7-9 course meals were in the main dining room with reserved first or second sitting. I thought it was wonderful to be sitting at dining tables with high ranking officers. (Now I think why would I want to eat with the crew ? although they did host some excellent 'pour outs' in the officers' accommodation)

Wearing velvet suits for embarkation and disembarkation. Dressing formally for dinner each and every evening. Bare feet not allowed on deck.

Morning Tea or coffee and biscuits being brought to cabin by steward every morning. (unless requested not to disturb)

Four ports on a 14 day Med cruise with much longer stays and usually one overnight stop.

Prices were reasonable at bars and measures generous. No need to take anything alcoholic/wine on board

Streamers and shore side bands playing 'We are sailing..' on sailaway Visitore being allowed to come aboard before sail away and the 'all ashore that's going ashore' calls

Sure there's more ---

One very bad one...bags of rubbish were thrown overboard during night !!!!!!

Edited by Reina del Mar
Additional Information

On our first cruise - the Angelino Lauro, a ship used as a troop ship at one point. Our cabin had two narrow lower berths attached to the wall with a tiny nightstand in between. The bathroom was so small you could use the toilet, shower and wash hands without moving ! Nothing elegant about it but a fantastic trip, wonderful food and staff.