Do you like the western Islands like mexico Honduras Belize

sweets2323

Our favorite Itinerary next to a CoCo Cay stop.

Cozumel #1, then Roatan followed by Belize, but love Costa Maya which we used to just tolerate back in the day, that port has done wonders for its touristry.

Will visit Ship Wreck'd in Costa Maya in January, new for us.

We've been to Cozumel many times on a cruise and a land vacation as well. We like this port, safe, good shopping and restaurants. Roatan very pretty water, didn't do much but visit a few bars. Went to Costa Maya but stayed in the port area. Cozumel is my favorite of the 3.

You tender in Belize and it's a very long tender ride. Plus, the excursion we went on took about 2 hours to get to. Not sure I'd go back but many people love it. Cozumel is fun but the vendors are pushy. The first time we went to Roatan it was docked in a scary spot (for me anyway). No real "town", just locals set up along the road with their wares. The second time we docked at what reminded me of a private island.

Roatan was a favorite stop of ours we booked a private tour that included zip line ( I was talked into this I am terrified of heights ) it was the highlight of our trip. I loved the zip line and would do it again without hesitation. We enjoyed the private tour as well. We also enjoyed Maya Chan in Costa Maya. Nachi cocom is our favorite go to place in cozumel. Have a great cruise. :)

None are my fav that I "just have to go back to". Haven't gotten off at Cozumel the last two times. Roatan "rain forest" excursion wasn't all that impressive. However, kids did the dolphin swim and liked it. We did like Belize "zip line and cave tubing" a lot. It is a long tender ride and the bus ride is long also. But we found it well worth it. Didn't get off at Costa Maya the last time. But it looks like a lot of construction going on at the port so it should be interesting to see how it develops over the next couple of years.

Costa Maya has a new water park open I think, and a pool right there at the port. We always take the $2-3 pp shuttle to the Malecon and go to Tropicante for the day. Is a beach bar owned by Steve (expat) where you can sit on the beach for free as long as you buy eats and drinks from his place. Our bill has never been overly pricey even with my husband buying a bottle of local Tequila there. There is some shopping nearby if you're into souvenirs. We love it!

I just returned from Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel and would like to go back again. I really enjoyed Roatan did a private tour with Rony tours and ended up at a nice beach bar called Gingers and had a blast.

Although the tender in Belize took MUCH longer than I ever expected it would, we had a fantastic time there. We hired a private boat from Contour Ocean Adventures to pick us up at the port and take us to Caye Caulker. There, they had golf carts rented for us so we could cruise around the island. Even though we were more than an hour late arriving in port (due to my under estimation of how long the tender line would take), they were waiting for us when we arrived, had drinks and food on board the boat (even though this was not part of our deal or required), and bent over backwards to give us a great day. On our way back, a pod of dolphins came right up to the boat. We stopped for a bit while they "played" with us, and got back to the port in time for departure. It was wonderful. I worked with Steffie, and would ABSOLUTELY recommend this company to anyone interested in tours in the area.

I had heard great things about Roatan, and was really looking forward to the private catamaran tour we had booked with Roatan Sunsplash Tours. It was, by FAR, the biggest DISASTER in my entire cruising history! I won't go into all of the details as I have reviewed them on the Roatan board and on Trip Advisor. Long story short: they did not provide the boat they promised. The catamaran is supposed to hold at least 40 people. They claimed engine trouble and said they were "upgrading" us to a 50 food yacht. This was NOT a yacht. It was a fishing boat, and did not have enough room for the 13 people we had on this excursions. They basically held us hostage - insisting that we pay a certain amount despite the fact that they didn't deliver. (By this time they had our group in a remote marina far from the port, and I felt I had no choice but to agree to their demands in order to get everyone back to the ship safely.) Half of the group went directly back to the ship while half tried to make the best of what was offered. After about an hour, we asked to also be taken back to the ship as this was NOT the day we had been promised or planned. DO NOT book a tour with this company if you value your vacation time! I have heard many great things about Roatan, but unfortunately did not get to experience it while there.

I was trying to figure out how to insert a picture here, but failed.

photos_all

Edited by payitforward

Went to Belize once and didn't get off the ship. Super long tender (6 miles I think they said). It was raining and the sea was rough so didn't want to chance DH with sea sickness. He can only stand a limited duration tender. There aren't any beaches unless you take an excursion to an island.

Roatan I loved. Docked there before there was any real pier area. Just gravel and police with semi-auto rifles. But it was beautiful. Went a few years back and had an excursion planned. Got up to the pool deck to get towels. It was raining so hard, the deck flooded about 4 inches because the drains couldn't drain fast enough. We stayed on board under the track. Hey it was a warm rain! Rained so hard at times you couldn't see the island from the ship.

Loved Costa Maya. This though was back in the day before the main road in town was paved. We took the bus to town and was very happy we did. We are headed back and I would love to see the changes.

To me Cozumel is OK. Been there twice.

We have sailed the Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel western on both NCL and RCC.

Look at the Ports of Call Board for detailed information.

Great opportunities in Roatan for tours, beach day etc. We found a wonderful restaurant at the port with lobster and other seafood with good prices. You can find them by talking to the port zipline staff. They will drive you there and pick you up.

Although we have been to Belize 7+ times, we still tender to the port. Have done city tour (not great), Caye Caulker, snorkeling and the key is to choose a tour agent with good reviews. I see tours taking off at the port pier so overcrowed it would never be allowed in the US so be cautious. The US Coast Guard is not around to save these sailings.

Costa Maya for us means another wonderful day at Maya Chan. I think we are at our 7th or 8th visit.

Cozumel again has incredible opportuntiies. Try the Cozumel Insider website and the CC Ports for information.

Love this itinerary and we have booked again for 2018 on RCC.

We never get tired of these ports and always will return again.

Any good beaches on Roatan and Costa Maya that taxi's can take you to? We are also looking at the ship sponsored excursions. Just thought I would ask you folks that have been to those 2 ports. Our first time to those. Been to Cozumel many times.

Any good beaches on Roatan and Costa Maya that taxi's can take you to? We are also looking at the ship sponsored excursions. Just thought I would ask you folks that have been to those 2 ports. Our first time to those. Been to Cozumel many times.

There is a shuttle to the town at Costa Maya were there are many establishments right on the beach. Also, if you like all inclusives, we enjoyed Maya Chan very much.

Take a taxi (the ones outside the gate and down a block or two...not the ones from inside the port area) from Costa Maya to Mahahul, about 5 bucks and only 3-4 miles away. You can still see the ships from the beaches there. Lots of little cafes, bars, restaurants along a very touristy little strip of beach. The beaches are all sandy and good for swimming.

Most of the little beach cafes will set you up with a couple of loungers, drinks (or bucket of beer) and an umbrella with great seafood. All cost, around 20 bucks. We

love it there.

Costa Maya has a new water park open I think, and a pool right there at the port. We always take the $2-3 pp shuttle to the Malecon and go to Tropicante for the day. Is a beach bar owned by Steve (expat) where you can sit on the beach for free as long as you buy eats and drinks from his place. Our bill has never been overly pricey even with my husband buying a bottle of local Tequila there. There is some shopping nearby if you're into souvenirs. We love it!

How long was the Travel time to Steve? Was it a windy hilly road?

Roatan was a favorite stop of ours we booked a private tour that included zip line ( I was talked into this I am terrified of heights ) it was the highlight of our trip. I loved the zip line and would do it again without hesitation. We enjoyed the private tour as well. We also enjoyed Maya Chan in Costa Maya. Nachi cocom is our favorite go to place in cozumel. Have a great cruise. :)

Tell me more. I'm not to fond of heights either .. how did you manage. I zipped lined in Cancun but it was very 😂

I personally like the Western Caribbean stops, they have differences from the Saint islands in the Eastern Caribbean, but they are positive differences to me. Roatan is very lush with some amazing diving, I haven't been to Belize yet but I've heard great things about the diving there as well, Costa Maya is also new for me, but Cozumel has some very nice beaches with a laid back island vibe, with Mexican culture (and most importantly, food) around every corner. I like docking downtown when I'm in Cozumel because I like to get some food before or after an amazing beach day. Plus, all of the above places have their own respective Mayan Ruins, which would be very cool to visit. I definitely think that the Western Caribbean has something to offer for everybody, and that you will enjoy your cruise!