footwear on cruise for odd feet

waterman33

I say odd feet,as very high arches etc and regular water shoes,flips etc will not fit my feet!In particular talking about on the cruise ship;I wear braces and shoes normally but thinking barefooting from room to pool,to walking track,maybe-I know shoes are required in the usual places.Input please?and if any barefooters out there,what do you do?if any not aware,barefooters are those who who don't wear shoes at all,ever.I am not in that group but for the week on my first cruise want to go barefoot safely,legaly etc!

I do not recall seeing specific notice requiring shoes- except, of course in eating areas - but I cannot imaging wanting to go barefoot in public corridors, stairways, elevators, etc.

I would suggest getting something like sandals or Crocs / and fitting them with some sort of insole to confirm them to your feet.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I've never seen anyone walk around barefoot on any of my cruises, except at the pool. I wouldn't walk around barefoot on a cruise ship...to many things are dropped on the floors/decks. For daytime, why not wear flip flops, they are as close to barefoot as you could get. Many ships dont allow them in the dining rooms or specialty restaurants, so for evening, you could wear them in the buffet if the cruise line serves dinner there.

thanks;I did check Royal Caribean policy;no barefeet in any venues-venues meaning what exactly?I assume dining areas,conference room etc obviously,

"Venues" would include all dining areas, theaters, lounges, gym/spa, Royal Promenade (on those ships with one), on board shops, etc. - in general most, if not all, indoor areas. Outside / deck areas, in particular around the pools, would likely be excluded. Sympathetic to your issue, but "bare footing" would not be an appropriate option IMO.

I also don't wear flip flops but have found a sandal with great arch support and a high enough strap to keep them stable on my feet. Agree with the folks about not barefoot plus remember decks may be damp so socks may not be the best solution. I usually just wear my trainers that have orthotics, most comfortable and stable if there is movement on the ship.

Hi waterman 33

You have my sympathies! I sailed with NCL last year for the first time with a pre-op foot (after having already had three ops on the other foot over the past few years!)

I took a selection of footwear knowing that shore time was going to make me sore - luckily on NCL anything seemed to go and my long summer dresses seemed "posh" compared to others atire and luckily hid my very spongy flip-flops adorned with flowers that I managed to wear to dinner and in all the bars. Good for sore bunions to get from the cabin on carpets. I also had my imported Naot sandals with a really good arch support in my handbag if I was struggling to get back at the far end of the ship! Plus industrial trainers and made to measure insoles for the daytime!

I would never go bare foot and agree with others there is the chance of standing on something or slipping. I've since been on a cruise with P&O and I don't think they'd stand for it either!!

Have you tried Fit Flops - don't know where you're from but lots of people in the UK with arch problems love them and they may be a god send?

Good luck

I agree that some type of footwear should be worn, other than when in close proximity to the pool.

Another point, even around the pool you will often see people walk to the pool in sandals/flip flops and leave them near pool entrance. I have noticed this, and done myself on RC, especially solarium adult pool. Pool deck is often too hot to walk on barefoot.

I think you need to find some solution that would allow some type of slide/sandal.

"Venues" would include all dining areas, theaters, lounges, gym/spa, Royal Promenade (on those ships with one), on board shops, etc. - in general most, if not all, indoor areas. Outside / deck areas, in particular around the pools, would likely be excluded. Sympathetic to your issue, but "bare footing" would not be an appropriate option IMO.

Perhaps an indoor/outdoor slipper with a rubber sole? There are a number of v ersions from which to choose. It would be dnagerous, walking by Lido pool with no shoes. IMO Slip and fall is a possi bility,, if it is wet.

thanks;I did check Royal Caribean policy;no barefeet in any venues-venues meaning what exactly?I assume dining areas,conference room etc obviously,

ven·ue

ˈvenˌyo͞o/

noun

• the place where something happens, especially an organized event such as a concert, conference, or sports event.

Basically, any location onboard the ship. I've found pool decks to be quite hot for walking on barefoot.

And, I'd be leery of walking on carpeted areas barefoot (don't know what product used for cleaning them, what's been spilled on them, how many diapers were changed on them (yes, I've seen it done).

Pretty much the same in my stateroom....

I have high arches, and walking barefoot hurt my feet. I also can not wear totally flat shoes, they must have some support. My go to shoes around a pool or on the ship would be Sketcher sandals that have a raised insole area. They look pretty much like a flip flop, easy to put on and off, but give support.

If you live in Florida check Bealls for them. I see them in the Sketcher stores in the outlet malls also.

Perhaps an indoor/outdoor slipper with a rubber sole? There are a number of v ersions from which to choose. It would be dnagerous, walking by Lido pool with no shoes. IMO Slip and fall is a possi bility,, if it is wet.

I agree completely. My point was only to indicate that that may be an area where bare feet would be permitted.

waterman33...the pool deck and the decks above the pool deck get pretty hot in the Caribbean midday. If that's where you're cruise to. I've seen many cruisers walking very, very quickly on their heals to get to the pool, a lounger or a shaded area. Another cruiser that doesn't walk anywhere barefoot on a cruise ship.

How about a pair of those hospital sock let's with rubber treads? That's what I wear in the cabin and on the balcony. Checking I to a hospital to get a pair of those would probably not be worth it, but they can be had at some Goodwill or other second hand stores.

I would think most of our doctors' offices, particularly if they know of a foot problem, would get a pair of hospital socks for a patient who needs them I don't hhnk they want you barerfoot all over the ship...

How about a pair of those hospital sock let's with rubber treads? That's what I wear in the cabin and on the balcony. Checking I to a hospital to get a pair of those would probably not be worth it, but they can be had at some Goodwill or other second hand stores.

Cheap enough to buy at stores like Walmart. I buy them for my grandkids as stocking stuffers at Christmas - usually around $1 a pair depending on size.

However, would not recommend walking around in slipper socks - pool decks are not only hot, they are wet. Would work in the cabin.

OP, if you have high arches then I assume you already know which footwear works for you. There are a number of sandals made specifically to provide high arch support. As you probably already know, they are costly. If you use orthotics, then simply get some cheap slip-ons, throw away the insole and insert your orthotic.