Porters in customs/Disembarking time

Bigman426

My last (and first) cruise I took, upon disembarking, I couldn't help but notice that people in the customs lines would have guys with carts put peoples bags on them and take the bags and the people to a separate, shorter line. I think they would be called porters but I'm new to customs so I dont know. My question would be what ary they called and how much does thier sevice cost?

Also I will be cruising in February on the NCL Gem out of Manhattan and I'm currently making transportation arrangements. We will be returning on a Tuesday and want to know what time I could likely be off the ship and to Penn Station? I would be walking off the ship with luggage. Want to take a train that leaves at 11:30am and feel like I may not make it

They are the the porters. They have carts with them that you can ask for service. We usually give the porter $2 per luggage.

You can ask for transportation suggestion on the East Coast Departures board

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All that was said was correct but ports don't have priority on getting you onto a shorter line.

There are a couple of locations that now have Global Entry which might have shorter lines but other then that you can go on any of the other lines with or without a porter.

Keith

All that was said was correct but ports don't have priority on getting you onto a shorter line.

There are a couple of locations that now have Global Entry which might have shorter lines but other then that you can go on any of the other lines with or without a porter.

Keith

actually in some ports they do. Galveston is one that I am aware of. they do indeed have a separate line to access Customs/Immigration. and it can knock a good half hour or more from the wait compared to the 'regular' line. if you want a Porter at Galveston you must grab one by going in a different direction from the main crowd. they help you grab your bags then proceed directly a Customs Agent line, instead of joining the larger line that doesn't start branching out to Agents until the end.

Thanks spookwife. I wasn't aware of that one.

I hadn't seen that in all the ones we've used before such as in Florida, Manhattan, Brooklyn, San Pedro and Long Beach but we haven't cruised out of Galverston so wasn't aware of that one.

Good to know that there is another benefit using the porters. We usually do unless we just have a bag or two.

Thank you.

Keith

actually in some ports they do. Galveston is one that I am aware of. they do indeed have a separate line to access Customs/Immigration. and it can knock a good half hour or more from the wait compared to the 'regular' line. if you want a Porter at Galveston you must grab one by going in a different direction from the main crowd. they help you grab your bags then proceed directly a Customs Agent line, instead of joining the larger line that doesn't start branching out to Agents until the end.

Tampa is another port where the porters can save time in the customs line.

Thanks spookwife. I wasn't aware of that one.

I hadn't seen that in all the ones we've used before such as in Florida, Manhattan, Brooklyn, San Pedro and Long Beach but we haven't cruised out of Galverston so wasn't aware of that one.

Good to know that there is another benefit using the porters. We usually do unless we just have a bag or two.

Thank you.

Keith

The porters in NYC go through a separate shorter line.

Tampa is another port where the porters can save time in the customs line.

good to know. we are sailing out of Tampa in December. we return on Christmas Eve and it might be worth the $5-10 to grab a porter to get on the road that much faster to drove back to Pensacola.

good to know. we are sailing out of Tampa in December. we return on Christmas Eve and it might be worth the $5-10 to grab a porter to get on the road that much faster to drove back to Pensacola.

The porters are excellent in Tampa. They will roll your bags all the way across the street to the parking structure if you like.

In NYC last year, we grabbed a porter. Got through customs in the shorter line. He got us on to an elevator without a line. He took us across to where we met our hotel shuttle. He was so fantastic that we gave home a huge tip. They are incentivized to get you through as quickly as possible. The faster they can get you where you need to go, the more people they can serve, the more tips they will make.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The porters are excellent in Tampa. They will roll your bags all the way across the street to the parking structure if you like.

I have no personal experience with the porters at disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale but I do know that the Port Everglades website (http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/arriving-and-departing/) says that they will do the same thing:

Consider porter service
. After inspection, you may use porter services hired by your cruise lines to deliver your bags to private cars, taxis, and limousines or to baggage trucks for direct delivery to the airport. Tipping is optional.

As others have said, I've seen the porters assist passengers before inspection in locating their luggage and proceeding through immigration and customs.

In NYC last year, we grabbed a porter. Got through customs in the shorter line. He got us on to an elevator without a line. He took us across to where we met our hotel shuttle. He was so fantastic that we gave home a huge tip. They are incentivized to get you through as quickly as possible. The faster they can get you where you need to go, the more people they can serve, the more tips they will make.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our last few ports have been wonderful.

In NYC last September he took us from the port across the street then over to a private car and that was not easy to find and he didn't leave us until we were in the car and the driver was in his seat.

Similarly in Miami we had a private car and the porter stayed with us while we waited and the wait was supposed to be five minutes. Well at 25 minutes after several calls that was the end of that. He was still with us. He helped us get a taxi and he made sure everything fit in the taxi.

I know from time to time people complain about porters but we have had many great experiences both getting on and off the ships

Keith

I have no personal experience with the porters at disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale but I do know that the Port Everglades website (http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/arriving-and-departing/) says that they will do the same thing:

Consider porter service
. After inspection, you may use porter services hired by your cruise lines to deliver your bags to private cars, taxis, and limousines or to baggage trucks for direct delivery to the airport. Tipping is optional.

As others have said, I've seen the porters assist passengers before inspection in locating their luggage and proceeding through immigration and customs.

We've had very good experiences with the porters at Port Everglades too.