port of cherbourg france

islandman1

Just wondering if you read the same excursions that I can find on the HAL website? Three that immediately jump out are Mont St Michel, the D-Day beaches and Bayeux. I've spent a considerable about of time in Normandy and Brittany, but never a lot of time in Cherbourg - it's simply a place to catch the ferry back to the UK. Normandy is full of good food and beautiful little villages and a crazy concentration of history - go forth and explore!

Islandman............I notice you are new to Cruise Critic, so Welcome aboard. You will find a lot of information exchange between the very helpful members. Perhaps you are not aware of Roll Calls which can be found on this board. People sailing on the same ship and date will meet on board and also plan excursions together. The Roll Call for your sailing can be found at this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1132505&page=54

We were in Cherbourg last year and book a private tour to the Normandy beaches. Being retired military, it was quite an experience. We had several stops at significant points of interest including the small Church were two American medics treated and aided numerous injuries and casualties during the first days of the invasion. If interested, do a search for "Overlord" tours. It cost about $100 per person and was limited to seven people. I would take this excursion again should I return.

Cheers, Slim

Archived