How often are ships late to dock at ports of call?

2sigs

Just wondering if ships are often late into ports of call. I'd like to book a non-Carnival excursion on my upcoming Sensation cruise. We are scheduled to get into port at 7:00 a.m. in Nassau and I would need to be to the Hilton Hotel by 8:30 to make the shuttle for the trip. This is an expensive all day excursion to the Exuma islands so I'd like to have a pretty good chance of making the shuttle. What do you think my odds are?

Just wondering if ships are often late into ports of call. I'd like to book a non-Carnival excursion on my upcoming Sensation cruise. We are scheduled to get into port at 7:00 a.m. in Nassau and I would need to be to the Hilton Hotel by 8:30 to make the shuttle for the trip. This is an expensive all day excursion to the Exuma islands so I'd like to have a pretty good chance of making the shuttle. What do you think my odds are?

I have never experience a ship coming in late to ports, but it does happen due to the Weather or a engine that has failed and their speed is reduced.

Nassau is not a long haul (I assume that you are out of Port Canaveral, MIA or FLL) so there should not be a problem with late arrivals, but immigration could slow things down, the port could be blocked, etc.

I would be more concerned with getting back from Exuma in time than I would be getting to the departure on time. That might be something to think about.

So do I actually have to go through immigration when we dock in Nassau? I don't think I've ever done that in any other port I've docked at. We are staying in Nassau for 24 hours so getting back from Exuma should not be a problem. We are due back around 5 pm and the ship does not leave until 7am the next morning.

I think they are referring to the ship "clearing" (not individually) once you get to port.

We have never been late to a port in the 13 recent cruises, but anything can happen. It looks as though you have allowed enough time to go and come, so you should not have a problem barring any unforeseen circumstances.

As the earlier poster said, I would not lag around but be ready to debark as soon as they allow folks off. Also double check before you get off the ship that the ship's time and island time are the same. I have been to Nassau several times but we have been to so many ports I can't remember if this is one that has a time difference with the ship.

We just got back from a cruise and arrived in most Ports a little early but it takes time for the ship itself to clear ... like the others have said, get in line early don't lag around...also I think that your excursion tour will be patient even though it was not booked thru your cruise...we have booked excursions also not from the ship and they are patient as there will be others that have done the same as you and trust me,, they want your money and they will wait if your running a few minutes behind....

Your chances of being late to a port increases exponentially with the distance required to be covered.

Our Triumph trip to San Juan was about 1 1/2 hours late arriving because of strong headwinds during the 2 days it took to get there.

Before the cruise, I was considering doing one of the "Night Tours of Old San Juan", but they wanted a credit card up front and their refund policy was "too bad, so sad", so I didn't book with them. Turns out to be a good thing.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess it's "at my own risk" but it sounds like I have a good possibility of making the shuttle. I will check with the cruiseline about the time difference and will also make sure to be first in line to get off the ship that day!

Archived