How do check if waterproof camera is leakproof?

katie11

Unfortunately, other than the bathtub (or pool, if available) there's no real way to test the seals other than use. It will seal or it won't. I guess there somewhat of a leap of faith involved.

If the camera is older or if you bought it used, you may want to order new seals for it from the manufacturer and double check the manual for instructions to ensure proper prep (silicone grease, etc.).

Dave

Check the seal thoroughly. If it is new it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure no sand gets into the camera when you open it. Mine came with a little brush to brush dust or lint out of the seal. As long as the seal is clean you should get a good seal.

Vic

I have an Olympus TG4. It hasn't been underwater as yet. How can I check if it is really waterproof before we do our next cruise.

I hear where you are coming from. I have just recently bought a Go-pro Hero Black OK for 10m in water, and are still a bit apprehensive to take it underwater

Edited by KiwiFunCruiser
spelling

I hear where you are coming from. I have just recently bought a Go-pro Hero Black OK for 10m in water, and are still a bit apprehensive to take it underwater

I was the same when i bought mine, dunking a $400 camera didn't seem like a great idea even though thats what there for. To make myself feel better about it, i took the camera out of the case and put a tissue in. then I filled the sink with water and put the case in, put a weight on top of it to hold it down and let it soak over nite. The next day i checked and the tissue was still dry. Since then i felt better and have used it underwater on every trip I have been on. Just check the seal for dirt or damage and you will be fine.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm still not feeling very confidant about taking it underwater, so maybe I need to go the extra expense and buy the housing. What are your opinions on doing that. Is it worth it?

BTW the camera is 18 months old and has had little use so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the TG-820 that I bought for our 25th anniversary trip to Niagra Falls. It worked great then and I'm taking it to Alaska in May, for our 30th anniversary trip. I use it whenever I go fly fishing too. The Olympus Tough series cameras are great. Mine hasn't leaked yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm still not feeling very confidant about taking it underwater, so maybe I need to go the extra expense and buy the housing. What are your opinions on doing that. Is it worth it?

BTW the camera is 18 months old and has had little use so far.

I would do as suggested above. Check out the seals, make sure there's no dirt or grit on them, close the camera, and put it in water and see if it leaks. There's very little point to having a waterproof camera if you don't feel comfortable taking it in the water.

• 4 weeks later...

First off you need to check seals and enclosures on the camera that you would actuate. For example SD card door / battery door. Make sure there is no dirt or sand particles as this could cause a void that would allow water to get inside the camera. If there are any rubber type control buttons make sure that there are no holes that they function properly with no sticking. The next thing you can do is put the camera underwater for 20 to 30 minutes at 2 to 3 feet below the surface. If you see air bubbles whe you first submerge the camera you. Ours have a leak.