Umbrella Stroller or Baby Jogger?

jackpotkeeno

We are cruising on Carnival Paradise (5 nights) with our 1 year old who is not walking yet and generally likes being in the stroller. Trying to which stroller to bring. Our umbrella stroller (Uppa Baby GLite) is very light, has a large sunshade, but does not recline. Baby jogger (City Elite) has a large sunshade, reclines to flat, folds up easily, but is heavy and larger with the swivel front wheel. He will nap in the stroller, so trying to decide if it's worth the hassle on Paradise which is a smaller ship. We also have to tender at Grand Cayman. Other port is Cozumel. We will also be bringing our Ergo carrier, which he likes and can nap in too.

So....which stroller should we bring?!?

How wide re the strollers? The doorway is 22-1/4" when open...which stroller will fit through without being folded up/with sleeping child in it? the corridors are 42" wide, but you will be meeting other guests, dodging the steward's cart, and other strollers and wheeled devices. (I am currently on Pride in Cozumel, and can look across the pier at Paradise. I just measured with my handy tapemeasure). EM

Bring your umbrella stroller...you'll be glad you had something so small and compact.....We usually bring our Mountain Buggy Nano for our toddler grandchildren...Small with all the features we need and fold's up quickly into it's own carrying bag and fits easily as a carryon in all carrier luggage bins we've flown...It just looks like a small rolling suitcase but thinner.

We had a Jeep compact stroller kind of like this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/J-is-for-Jeep-Brand-Metro-Stroller/54308416

This was 9 years ago, but it looks like they haven't changed it much. It fit easily everywhere, turned perfectly and was easy to fold up/carry. The best part of it was the big basket and the reclining feature.

I would buy a top-of-the-line umbrella like the Maclaren, which does recline. They're expensive but can be easily bought for cheap on Craig's List. That's what we did. We found one in great condition, and our son used it until he was maybe 4 (they are sturdy and can hold an older kid too).

depends on what your one year old is more comfortable with and if you want to be able to roll it into the room without closing it up. I have done both and the umbrella stroller fit through the door and I could just wheel it right in. The bigger stroller was great when we were off the ship and I could put bags in it. We had both as we had 2 under 4.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't cruised with a baby yet, but I would buy a Mountain Buggy Nano. My toddler has taken many naps in it. It folds like an accordion and will easily fit under a table while eating. I bought it off my friends recommendation after she cruised with one.

• 5 weeks later...

i think we have the city mini it reclines and is an umbrella... don't know the cost.

we didn't use it for onboard only if we were about to go outside the ship.

a carrier is far more useful and i found most excursions it was easier for me to just walk around with my 14mo on my chest. she loved it (hated it months earlier so luck i guess).

We took out City mini on a recent cruise and it is quite big and cumbersome on the ship and doesn't fit through the cabin doors. It was fine for us a we used it for off shore activities mostly. If you intend to use it on the ship then take a smaller one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums