Pls. help me chose - HI Old Sydney, Radisson Blu Plaza, ....

4 days (nights) pre cruise, first time down under, flying all the way from Israel. OTP.

After reading hundreds of posts about hotels in Sydney, and finding out that free wifi is a rarity..., I've made several reservations, which of course I'll cancel when I'll have a "winner" :D

Some of them are "senior" rate, and others are b'fast packages.

B'fast is important to us, pool - not at all.

1) HI Old Sydney - 1614 AUD, including b'fast.

2) Radisson Blu Plaza - 1562 AUD, including b'fast.

3) Hyatt Regency - 1396 AUD, including b'fast.

4) Sydney Harbour Marriott at CQ - 1595 AUD, NOT including b'fast.

5) Hilton Sydney - 1516 AUD, NOT including b'fast.

Checked rates, but didn't reserve --

6) Sir Stamford - 1616 AUD, including b'fast.

7) Pier One - 1560 AUD, NOT including b'fast.

We like to get out of the hotel and see people on the street, make a break for coffee, people watching when tired, plenty of affordable restaurants for a nice meal, DH is an art buff -- galeries?

Thanking you in advance for your input, Dani

Big fan of the Holiday In. Location, literally over the road from the OPT.

THE Museum of Contemporary Art (pretty sure that's its name is just down the road.

Into the city of the other galleries.

Big fan of the Holiday In. Location, literally over the road from the OPT.

THE Museum of Contemporary Art (pretty sure that's its name is just down the road.

Into the city of the other galleries.

The Marriott is nearly as good for location, so far as these are concerned. But not quite.

I feel constrained to mention that there is one other gallery very close to the Holiday Inn: Ken Done's own gallery at 1 Hickson Road. But it's dangerous going in there. If you like what's on show, you could end up spending an awful lot of money very quickly. It happened to me once. :)

The Marriott is nearly as good for location, so far as these are concerned. But not quite.

I feel constrained to mention that there is one other gallery very close to the Holiday Inn: Ken Done's own gallery at 1 Hickson Road. But it's dangerous going in there. If you like what's on show, you could end up spending an awful lot of money very quickly. It happened to me once. :)

Yeah Ken is a great photographer, did a couple of his lectures a while back, nice bloke too.

I think you meant to say Ken Done is a great Australian ARTIST, not photographer.

Stupid stupid me, for some reason I read it as Ken Duncan. Who also has (had) a shop in The Rocks. I've been in both in the last few weeks.

Thank you so much for all the helpful and detailed answers. Much appreciated.

DH is also an amateur photographer, so I'd be checking related galleries.

PS. Just noticed that we'll arrive in Sydney in January 27th, 2018 (Saturday), which is one day after Australia day.

Will the usual markets be open on Saturday and Sunday, the 28th?

Will this affect our sightseeing at all, beside paying a lot for the night between 27-28, like lots of crowds, closed avenues?

Thanks again, Dani

Thank you so much for all the helpful and detailed answers. Much appreciated.

DH is also an amateur photographer, so I'd be checking related galleries.

PS. Just noticed that we'll arrive in Sydney in January 27th, 2018 (Saturday), which is one day after Australia day.

Will the usual markets be open on Saturday and Sunday, the 28th?

Will this affect our sightseeing at all, beside paying a lot for the night between 27-28, like lots of crowds, closed avenues?

Thanks again, Dani

Well that makes it along weekend, so things could be busy.

The markets should be open as should most sight seeing/tourist attractions.

PppQUOTE=dani negreanu;52929636]4 days (nights) pre cruise, first time down under, flying all the way from Israel. OTP.

After reading hundreds of posts about hotels in Sydney, and finding out that free wifi is a rarity..., I've made several reservations, which of course I'll cancel when I'll have a "winner" :D

Thanking you in advance for your input, Dani[/color][FO[quote

Dani,

Go to TripAdvisor Australia and put all these Hotels in - you need to put the location as the The Rocks - and read the reviews there. They tell things like coffee shops and breakfast nearby and any other fine details. The good and the bad!! It also includes maps.

Better the opinion of hundreds - will be much more helpful to you i hope - its the cruise Critic for Hotels [emoji3]

Edited by Porky55

PppQUOTE=dani negreanu;52929636]4 days (nights) pre cruise, first time down under, flying all the way from Israel. OTP.

Thanking you in advance for your input, Dani[/color][FO[quote

Dani,

Go to TripAdvisor Australia and put all these Hotels in - you need to put the location as the The Rocks - and read the reviews there. They tell things like coffee shops and breakfast nearby and any other fine details. The good and the bad!! It also includes maps.

Better the opinion of hundreds - will be much more helpful to you i hope - its the cruise Critic for Hotels [emoji3]

Thanks, Porky, for the helpful info.

I've went on and tried all the TripAdvisors -- .com, .nz, .uk, hk -- they all have the same reviews, but I've gathered enough knowledge to decide on Holiday Inn Old Sydney, even though it's a bit overpriced...:D

Hi dani, not a bad choice, stayed at OHI many times - proximity to cruise terminal is perfect, to The Rocks and many wonderful cafes and restaurants and not a long stroll into the city centre - uphill going but downhill coming home [emoji3]. The Old Sydney is showing some age but location makes up for any shortcomings - don't forget to make the most of the good old HOHO https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRASg2zej6x1VyYxfE99ctXdLWgcZaXd1bSOudMEXzHEeBWgnFrRFiH5HMp: can catch at Circular Quay.

Anyway enjoy your stay, visit and cruise [emoji568]

Edited by Porky55

Hi dani, not a bad choice, stayed at OHI many times - don't forget to make the most of the good old HOHO https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRASg2zej6x1VyYxfE99ctXdLWgcZaXd1bSOudMEXzHEeBWgnFrRFiH5HMp: can catch at Circular Quay.

Anyway enjoy your stay, visit and cruise [emoji568]

THANK YOU :hearteyes:

The Radisson is lovely but could be anywhere. I would pick the HI or the Marriot (but your Radisson price is pretty good!). The breakfast at the Radisson is very nice.

Thank you, Swissmiss :D

Another couple travelling with us made a reservation at HI, and sent me a copy.

I've noticed they've got a better rate :o.

Sent an email to HI, and.... they promptly offered me the same rate. So far, I'm impressed with their service.

HI Old Sydney - was 1614 AUD, including b'fast. Now - 1544 AUD, including b'fast.