Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 16

pierces

Didn't know this about the Flying Scotsman...

In 1924, it was selected to appear at the British Empire Exhibition in London, and had been given the name ‘Flying Scotsman’after the London to Edinburgh rail service which started in 1862, but this is not it....

This is.....

In 1969 it set off to the United States on a British promotional tour.

In total the trip visited seventeen American states

The train ran from Texas to Toronto, and when Flying Scotsman made a trip to San Francisco in 1971, it had travelled 15,400 miles in the United States.

It made a rare appearance near me from the 13-19th April, so I had to go and see it, I'm going to show my age now, I remember as a child travelling on a steam train.

Flying%20S1.jpg

Flying%20S2.jpg

Flying%20S3.jpg

Flying%20S4.jpg

Dickie

8e08a744aa6ab7de39571c8c716888d9.jpg

A sculpture made from the poppies that were used at the Tower of London display. It's called "The Wave" and is one of the First World War Centenary events going on around the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In 2002, we came upon Cow Parade Las Vegas by accident and I was an instant a fan. The blend of art, whimsy, and humor made for art I could enjoy. Over the years I have followed the Parade around the world and visited one that was fairly local. “Daisy's Dream”, in particular, epitomized to me the Cow Parade's artful silliness by depicting a cow leaping high to catch a thrown Frisbee. (Yes, I own an 8" replica in resin.) First appearing at Cow Parade New York in 2000, she has traveled all over the world. Cow Parade San Luis Obispo was the first time she appeared in one I could attend and I finally got to meet one of the few celebrities I actually respect. Keep dreaming, Daisy. It makes me smile.

Daisy's Dream

p2292134755-5.jpg

Dave

8e08a744aa6ab7de39571c8c716888d9.jpg

A sculpture made from the poppies that were used at the Tower of London display. It's called "The Wave" and is one of the First World War Centenary events going on around the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Your nice picture of the Wave, made me look it up, and I found that it will be in Plymouth hoe between Aug -Nov 17 . I will try and get to visit this display

In 2002, we came upon Cow Parade Las Vegas by accident and I was an instant a fan. The blend of art, whimsy, and humor made for art I could enjoy. Over the years I have followed the Parade around the world and visited one that was fairly local. “Daisy's Dream”, in particular, epitomized to me the Cow Parade's artful silliness by depicting a cow leaping high to catch a thrown Frisbee. (Yes, I own an 8" replica in resin.) First appearing at Cow Parade New York in 2000, she has traveled all over the world. Cow Parade San Luis Obispo was the first time she appeared in one I could attend and I finally got to meet one of the few celebrities I actually respect. Keep dreaming, Daisy. It makes me smile.

Daisy's Dream

p2292134755-5.jpg

Dave

Dave, the quirkiness of this made me laugh.

Great pictures from projects, Easter bunnies, blossom and smart 'Ol Bill (sorry Shootr, that's Law Enforcement Officer I believe over there :D

Dickie

Still deciding if I should take a Fisheye lens to Alaska.

Took a trip to Florida to see the In-Laws last weekend. I think the the lens did well.

A proud fisherman and an even prouder mum.

33420637594_2b106a3977_b.jpg

Boys always remember that first catch

Mark

From February 2nd through June 11th, Gatorland http://www.gatorland.com opens their famous bird rookery early Thursday through Sunday for photographers. Some of the "morning people" from the Oviedo Photo Club http://oviedophotoclub.org/ spent some time there. Here are a few of my favorite photos:

Snowy Egret on nest

p2296240504-4.jpg

Cattel Egret hiding in the bushes

p2296265282-4.jpg

Cattel Egret with nesting material (stick)

p2296240693-4.jpg

Cattel Egret showing off a new hair cut

p2296240873-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When coming to an intersection in the swamp where your levee trail meets an alligator crossing spot...who has right of way? I think most people would agree that right-of-way goes to the alligator, especially a large one:

original.jpg

Closeup of a pig frog on a lily pad:

original.jpg