One day in LA area with teens....ideas??

josask

We are arriving at San Pedro port on a Sunday morning and leaving from LAX 13:30 Monday afternoon. Family of 5 including 20 & 17 yo sons and 14 yo daughter. Any ideas to make good use of our time would be greatly appreciated.

What are your interests? The Greater Los Angeles area has everything.

Zoos

Gardens

Museums (what are you interested in?)

Hiking, rappelling, and spelunking

Movies (locations, making of etc)

Amusement Parks

Beaches

Shopping

Eating (what do you like to eat)

Local History

Decide what type of things you want to see, then we can point you in the right direction.

We are arriving at San Pedro port on a Sunday morning and leaving from LAX 13:30 Monday afternoon. Family of 5 including 20 & 17 yo sons and 14 yo daughter. Any ideas to make good use of our time would be greatly appreciated.

First, realize that you don't have a lot of time...

A 1330 (1:30 pm) flight out of LAX on Monday means you'll have to get to LAX by 11:30, so, depending on where you stay, you're checking out that morning and going right to the airport...So, basically, you have from whenever you get off the ship plus time to get to where you are going and time to check into a hotel...through the rest of the day and night plus a little time in the morning, perhaps...

The 20 and 17 year olds may be a bit old for Disneyland...plus it's expensive and really requires a full day. Universal may be a bit of a drive...and, really, its more of an amusement park than a movie studio. There are real movie and TV studios with tours in the Burbank area...but I'd only do that if you and/or your kids have a special interest in the movie business. Also, there's Sony Studios with tours in Culver City, close to LAX.

I'm guessing, also, unless your kids are really into art, the museums will not be of great interest to them.

You could also do a standard LA tour with Sunseeker tours, arranged to pick you up at the ship and drop you off at a hotel either near LAX or on the West Side.

My first choice for that short a stay, would be to stay the night in Santa Monica or, if that is a bit pricey, look at Venice/Marina Del Rey...

If you get a shuttle or car service from the ship to a hotel in Santa Monica, you can check in, then spend the day in the area...The Santa Monica Pier has amusement rides and is a familiar filming location from many movies...the Venice Beach Boardwalk, specially nice if a warm day, is recognizable for the body builders on the beach, the girls roller skating in bikinis, the bicyclists, the street performers, the street merchants, etc. the Third Street Promenade has trendy shopping, street performers and restaurants. Palisades Park has great views of the Pacific Ocean. You can rent bicycles and ride along the beach between Santa Monica and Venice...and down around Marina Del Rey.

The next morning, if in Santa Monica, you are within 10 miles from LAX...If in Marina Del Rey or Venice, even closer...it's a short ride to LAX.

It's all both relaxing and interesting. The kids might enjoy the Southern California beach scene. It will definitely give them a view of a life different from back home...plus be a bit of a wind-down from the cruise.

Have fun...

Thanks for the responses. We had already ruled out Disney or Universal - unless you can be there for the full day it's not worth the price.

Like the idea of wandering around the Santa Monica area. No reasonable priced hotels in Santa Monica area but will look at AirBnB options. Family of five means two rooms - which will cost more for one night than the week cruise for a couple of us!!

Thanks for the responses. We had already ruled out Disney or Universal - unless you can be there for the full day it's not worth the price.

Like the idea of wandering around the Santa Monica area. No reasonable priced hotels in Santa Monica area but will look at AirBnB options. Family of five means two rooms - which will cost more for one night than the week cruise for a couple of us!!

Airbnb isn't legal in Santa Monica. Look at hotels in Marina del Rey and Manhattan Beach.

I would want to be close to LAX so to that end I'd get a hotel in Marina del Rey or Manhattan Beach, maybe even Santa Monica if it works out budget wise.

Manhattan Beach is a great representation of a So Cal beach town.

I don't think it's that important to be "close to LAX" for an afternoon flight.

If you're going to be there in April (that's the cruise in your signature but I'm not familiar with NCL, nor plan to be), don't count on beach weather. But if you want to hang out in Santa Monica, your family can go to the Third Street Promenade. Then maybe check out Venice Beach (but again, not for sunbathing nor going into the ocean).

I think teens would probably enjoy Magic Mountain (rather than Disneyland), but that would require renting a car

• 1 month later...
What is the weather like in November?

No way to know...

Southern California is a classic "Mediterranean" climate...dry, hot summers, very low precipitation...

The "rainy season", as it is, goes from about November to March...but, during that time, there are maybe only about 10 to 15 unpredictable days with any rain. Some years even less. Average rainfall is only around 10-11 inches per year...and this past season has been the first in several years when it's even reached that.

So, in November, you might experience clear skies and highs in the 80s...all the way down to highs in the 50s and pouring rain...Chances are you'll see clear skies and highs in the upper 60s...but you just won't know too far ahead of time.

It never snows here except up in the higher mountains.

Also note that the climate varies a bit depending on where in the area you are. Along the coast, you never get much variation from high to low. In the inland valleys, the temperatures vary by a greater margin.

Thanks I am considering the 5 day sailing leaving from LA going to Cabo and Ensenada.

Was considering Panama one too but that's out now.

We have done the Florida sailings numerous times and thought it could be a nice change.

I am pretty sure it's warmer than here in Ontario.

Go Sens go!