Barrier Reef - Later departure

jtslattery

I am arriving into Cairns at 8:00 AM on a cruise ship. Looks like most of the GBR tours leave at 7 or 8. Anybody know of a later one say 10:00 or so. A late return is no problem as we don't leave till noon the next day.

What ship are you on? Some cruise ships have to anchor off and tender passengers ashore .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I am arriving into Cairns at 8:00 AM on a cruise ship. Looks like most of the GBR tours leave at 7 or 8. Anybody know of a later one say 10:00 or so. A late return is no problem as we don't leave till noon the next day.

For the general info of interested parties who search on this topic --

It is possible to charter one of the regular day boats. Takes some planning and effort but worked out great. We had a 10 AM docking (Oceania Sirena, March 11, 2017) and had a full charter of the Sea Star, a 35 passenger boat. Easy walk to their dock along the waterfront. Wonderful day. Because of the late arrival we went only to one reef site rather than their usual two but had ample time for snorkeling (3+ hours). We had two certified divers and they also had a glass bottom boat for the less adventurous. Wonderful weather, nice boat, excellent equipment, really nice staff, good food and drink. The reef edge was about 10 feet from the stern of the boat. Water calm and clear.

I had to arrange this well in advance before they began booking day trips. A deposit was necessary to secure the booking and final payment was made before we sailed. I had a core group of 10 and got the rest of the group filled out off the roll call without difficulty. The ship GBR tour was out of Airlie Beach and went to a barge. People complained of cloudy water and strong currents. Their cost was over three time ours.

Note - This might not work if you had to tender in here unless you had an awfully early arrival. Our ship cleared around 10 AM and we were all aboard the Sea Star and leaving the harbor by 10:45.

Robbie

• 2 weeks later...
For the general info of interested parties who search on this topic --

It is possible to charter one of the regular day boats. Takes some planning and effort but worked out great. We had a 10 AM docking (Oceania Sirena, March 11, 2017) and had a full charter of the Sea Star, a 35 passenger boat. Easy walk to their dock along the waterfront. Wonderful day. Because of the late arrival we went only to one reef site rather than their usual two but had ample time for snorkeling (3+ hours). We had two certified divers and they also had a glass bottom boat for the less adventurous. Wonderful weather, nice boat, excellent equipment, really nice staff, good food and drink. The reef edge was about 10 feet from the stern of the boat. Water calm and clear.

I had to arrange this well in advance before they began booking day trips. A deposit was necessary to secure the booking and final payment was made before we sailed. I had a core group of 10 and got the rest of the group filled out off the roll call without difficulty. The ship GBR tour was out of Airlie Beach and went to a barge. People complained of cloudy water and strong currents. Their cost was over three time ours.

Note - This might not work if you had to tender in here unless you had an awfully early arrival. Our ship cleared around 10 AM and we were all aboard the Sea Star and leaving the harbor by 10:45.

Robbie

Robbie, can you give me details please? Name, number, email and or website please.