Alaska Weather

mrspie

This has been asked and answered many times. The answer is layers. The weather in Alaska will vary widely in just a few days. It can be warm and sunny (yes, I have gotten a sunburn in Alaska) and cold with sleet the next day. You need a water proof windbreaker that can be layered over a fleece jacket. I always take gloves and a hat and have worn them most times. Good sturdy walking or hiking shoes. If you will be doing any hiking, I strongly recommend water resistant hiking shoes, not tennis shoes, as it can be muddy.

I agree with Rachel.

I have sailed Alaska many times.

Year over year it can change dramatically.

Day to day it can change.

And even hour to hour.

Layering is key.

Our outdoor clothing includes:

Waterproof jacket with hood (works great to avoid umbrellas).

Fleece.

Long sleeve and short sleeve shirts.

Waterproof pants.

Regular long pants.

Two parts of shoes; sports shoe and low cut hiking shoes.

Gloves

Hat

Sun Tan Lotion

Sun Glasses

Sweatshirt, or Sweater.

The time of year you are going has better odds for rain and will likely be cooler then say July but again this is Alaska and like many places around the world the weather patterns continue to change.

Layering is key.

Keith

We just booked your cruise and will definitely take clothing for cooler weather. Also, I "think" that I heard that there is a mosquito issue in September but haven't had a chance to check it out (will do so this weekend). If there isn't a Roll Call already, I will start one.

TravelCat2, we've sailed in September and have not had a problem with mosquitos. I am one of those that if there is 100 people and only one person gets stung it will be me.

With that said, on each Alaska cruise we do bring repellent to be on the safe side and sometimes like on other itineraries where you go on a tour can be a factor so very wise to bring it no matter what the experience of others is.

Hopefully you won't need it but have it with you.

Like an umbrella if you take it with you it might not rain (well not necessarily in your state) but if you leave it at home it is a guarantee that it will rain. LOL.

Keith

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm going to Greenland and Iceland June 2018. I would imagine your Alaskan cruise would be very similar. As I have some USA + Canada to pack for as well it should be very interesting.

Gary and Anne, Greenland will be quite a bit cooler. Iceland could be quite wet.

Key for you is to layer clothing and yes to have waterproof gear.

Keith

Thanks Keith - looks like this isn't your first rodeo ...LOL. Was looking at the June temperatures in Greenland and was colder than I expected that time of year. Iceland isn't much warmer either. My main concern is the small ship (Navigator) up in those ruff North Atlantic Seas.

You can pretty much count on Greenland being MUCH cooler. Iceland temperatures are cool, maybe damp. You will need a fleece and waterproof jacket for Iceland, we had parkas for Greenland. It poured cold rain on us the day we were in Nuuk.