Greenwich pier/dock/tender whatever location

perlgirlnj

We're on an "Into the Midnight Sun" itinerary that finishes in Greenwich. I'd like to book a car service to take us from there into London, where we're staying on. I guess I have two questions:

• I've identified a walking tour that I want to do that day, but I'd need to be off the ship on the early side to make it to our hotel, drop our luggage, and then head off to the walking tour meeting spot. How early can I get off the ship when I don't have travel connections to make?
  • In order to book the car service, I need a postal code/address for where I am to be picked up. I received my travel docs yesterday and while it had good info for embarkation, there was nothing there for disembarkation. Has anyone received any info on where we disembark exactly in Greenwich? Maybe someone who is embarking in Greenwich knows?

Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can share!

I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone else is heading to London (at any time) I can highly recommend a walking tour company that you don't need to book in advance...just show up on the day and pay the guide. The guides are vey knowledgeable, often retired actors and very entertaining. Over the past few years we've been on six of the tours, and have never been disappointed.

http://www.walks.com/

I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone else is heading to London (at any time) I can highly recommend a walking tour company that you don't need to book in advance...just show up on the day and pay the guide. The guides are vey knowledgeable, often retired actors and very entertaining. Over the past few years we've been on six of the tours, and have never been disappointed.

http://www.walks.com/

That is the company we are going with. It's a 10 AM tour that leaves from the East End, so we'll need to hustle to get off the ship, over to our hotel to drop luggage and then over to the trip starting point. I think it's do-able. I hope!

I booked a car service (Blackberry) from Heathrow to Greenwich Pier. I simply entered "Greenwich Pier" as destination - they knew exactly where it was. It's the same pier that the water boats like Thames Clippers use, and is located right where the booklet we received from Viking says it is - very near the attractions in Greenwich like Old Royal Naval College. I'm pretty sure just about any car service knows where it is. However, if you want, I can look up the exact location on Google Earth. Someone gave me a link to where Viking Ships (and other cruise ships lucky enough to be able to anchor in the Thames) tie up. However, I have since deleted it. It's not very far from the pier, though. A previous cruiser (last year, I guess - perhaps Peregrina, who knows a lot?!?!) reported that the shuttle to the ship goes back and forth at least every half hour.

I don't know what your itinerary (is Greenwich your embarkation port?) but if the ship is overnighting there, I would think you'd be able to get off as soon as the shuttle starts running in the morning. What I don't know is when that would be, but I would guess it would be pretty early, and certainly no later than when the first Viking excursion is scheduled to go off! In general, last year in Med ports, we found getting off Viking Star to be pretty fast, with little to no waiting. When you go independently (not on Viking excursion) you are not made to wait until excursion people are off, as some cruise lines will do.

I booked a car service (Blackberry) from Heathrow to Greenwich Pier. I simply entered "Greenwich Pier" as destination - they knew exactly where it was. It's the same pier that the water boats like Thames Clippers use, and is located right where the booklet we received from Viking says it is - very near the attractions in Greenwich like Old Royal Naval College. I'm pretty sure just about any car service knows where it is. However, if you want, I can look up the exact location on Google Earth. Someone gave me a link to where Viking Ships (and other cruise ships lucky enough to be able to anchor in the Thames) tie up. However, I have since deleted it. It's not very far from the pier, though. A previous cruiser (last year, I guess - perhaps Peregrina, who knows a lot?!?!) reported that the shuttle to the ship goes back and forth at least every half hour.

I don't know what your itinerary (is Greenwich your embarkation port?) but if the ship is overnighting there, I would think you'd be able to get off as soon as the shuttle starts running in the morning. What I don't know is when that would be, but I would guess it would be pretty early, and certainly no later than when the first Viking excursion is scheduled to go off! In general, last year in Med ports, we found getting off Viking Star to be pretty fast, with little to no waiting. When you go independently (not on Viking excursion) you are not made to wait until excursion people are off, as some cruise lines will do.

Greenwich is our disembarkation point so I'm looking to book a car from Greenwich to downtown London (in time for us to turn around and catch a walking tour that we're interested in). Two car services that I contacted wanted the postal code and/or specific address where we'd be. I had hoped that info would be in our documents but only our embarkation info was there (Bergen, for us).

However, I did email the general Viking info address today and got a phone message back that they would email me the specific address. I haven't received it yet but I presume I will on Monday (the message came through late business-hours-wise on Friday, today). I didn't ask what time we can disembark but I'm hoping we can request early disembarkation or else self-carry our luggage off and disembark at will (Is that a thing with Viking? We've done it on other ships.) What I'd like to avoid is a late disembarkation time--since we don't have flights to catch, they may assume we can go off later. I'm sure this will work out, but I'd like it to work out stress-free that morning.

Thanks all.

Greenwich is our disembarkation point so I'm looking to book a car from Greenwich to downtown London (in time for us to turn around and catch a walking tour that we're interested in). Two car services that I contacted wanted the postal code and/or specific address where we'd be. I had hoped that info would be in our documents but only our embarkation info was there (Bergen, for us).

However, I did email the general Viking info address today and got a phone message back that they would email me the specific address. I haven't received it yet but I presume I will on Monday (the message came through late business-hours-wise on Friday, today). I didn't ask what time we can disembark but I'm hoping we can request early disembarkation or else self-carry our luggage off and disembark at will (Is that a thing with Viking? We've done it on other ships.) What I'd like to avoid is a late disembarkation time--since we don't have flights to catch, they may assume we can go off later. I'm sure this will work out, but I'd like it to work out stress-free that morning.

Thanks all.

I'm the same way - plan everything up front. I can't remember for sure from last year, but I can't imagine they'll make you wait to disembark. Actually, I don't remember the usual color-coded tags for disembarkation that many other lines use. I think they had a pretty free and easy system and it worked out fine. However, since everyone will have to disembark in Greenwich by using a short shuttle ride, things may be more structured. Getting all that that luggage off the ship and onto a boat and then onto the pier sounds complicated, but I'm sure it's been done before and they'll do a good job!