Tamron 16 - 300

A suggestion ... I usually rent a lens and try it before I buy. Before I bought my Nikon 200-500, I rented the Sigma and Tamron 150-600 as well as the Nikon so that I could make a decision based on the way I use the lens (in this case, wildlife).

Just my $.02

Following...also curious about this lens. It would be much easier to have one lens for my Rebel than having to carry around the two I currently have, plus this would give me a larger range than my current two combined.

I also like the single lens approach (although I have a couple of specialty lenses). Right now I use an 18 - 200 and was thinking that this might give me more range.

A suggestion ... I usually rent a lens and try it before I buy. Before I bought my Nikon 200-500, I rented the Sigma and Tamron 150-600 as well as the Nikon so that I could make a decision based on the way I use the lens (in this case, wildlife).

Just my $.02

Thank you! Renting one to try for myself...love that idea. I have seen some mixed reviews on it (Best Buy, Amazon) so I need to do more research. But the best research would be to actually try for myself. With reviews, what some may consider "great pictures" may be "just OK" for others. So thank you for that suggestion. It's still pricey for me but if I can get quality pictures (I'm not a professional, just a hobby that I'm always looking to improve) it would be worth it just to have one lens where I now need two for that range. Thank you for also mentioning the 150-600, I'll have to check that one out too. Thank you also for the link you attached for reviews.

Click here for 171 reviews of the lens.
Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to check that out.

mskaufman...I tried to quote your response as well, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. ??? But I don't think we're the only ones. I have seen so many comments in some reviews on the cruise line threads where some take the point and shoot cameras and leave their DSLR's at home. It's mainly because they can get better range with point and shoot and not wanting to carry all of the "equipment" (DSLR camera, multiple lenses) around.

Anyone using this lens with Canon? If so, are you happy?

I recently purchased the Sigma 18-300 for use on my Canon for an upcoming cruise to the Baltic and St. Petersburg. I've been very happy with the results so far. And the allure of only one lens while traveling was a driving force for the purchase.

I recently purchased the Sigma 18-300 for use on my Canon for an upcoming cruise to the Baltic and St. Petersburg. I've been very happy with the results so far. And the allure of only one lens while traveling was a driving force for the purchase.

Thank you. I haven't heard of the Sigma, so I'll be checking into that too...options are always nice. Glad to hear that you're happy with the results you're getting.

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine! I previously had the 18-280mm and "upgraded" to the 16-300mm when it came it. I think it's awesome as a walk-around lens. It does have some trouble focusing in low light, but I think that's to be expected. I pretty much use it exclusively on vacation - Disney World, Hawaii, cruises. I'm always pleased with the results (except some indoor rides at Disney). I currently use a Canon 80D but previously used this lens on the 70D as well. If you don't like swapping lenses all the time and you're not looking for "professional" quality pictures, I don't think you can go wrong with the Tamron 16-300. best of luck!

How much of an upgrade was 18-280 to 16-300. Was it a noticeable difference?

As far as range goes, probably not. But I was having some off and on issues with the 18-280 "talking" to my (then new) 70D. It worked great on the T4i (and T2i) but for some reason I had issues with it and the 70D. It would search for focus way too often. But the new 16-300 doesn't seem to have any of those issues with my 70D or 80D. I also really like Tamron's support. I had pretty bad lens creep with the 18-280 so I called them up to ask about it. I think it was 3 or so years old. They had me send it in and they adjusted it free of charge.

jenf22...thank you so much for sharing your first hand experience with the Tamron 16-300. That is the one I have been considering. We don't have any cruises, or any vacation, on our agenda yet so I'm not in a rush to purchase and have just recently started research it since I'd seen it mentioned in another thread as a suggestion for someone else wanting more range without multiple lenses. I have been looking into it and have seen mostly good reviews, overall. I'm aware that some reviews are biased so I always appreciate first hand experience, such as yours. :)

As far as range goes, probably not. But I was having some off and on issues with the 18-280 "talking" to my (then new) 70D. It worked great on the T4i (and T2i) but for some reason I had issues with it and the 70D. It would search for focus way too often. But the new 16-300 doesn't seem to have any of those issues with my 70D or 80D. I also really like Tamron's support. I had pretty bad lens creep with the 18-280 so I called them up to ask about it. I think it was 3 or so years old. They had me send it in and they adjusted it free of charge.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I do notice that the focus of my 18-270 is not as sharp on my 60D as it is on my old XT.