Staying in Brooklyn 9/20 2 nights

CU64

QM2 leaving from Red Hook. Have 2 great hotels, Nu Hotel near central Brooklyn & Franklin Guesthouse in Greenpoint near East River Ferry. Not interested in using subways or going to Manhattan. Trying to decide which area better for 2 days to R&R after long flight from West Coast.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Barbara

Hello Barbara from a Fellow Californian!

Not a native New Yorker, and I hope you get some help from these lovely folks. But we have stayed in Brooklyn 3 times associated with the QM2, and are scheduled to stay in an apartment in Boerum Hill in June when we arrive on the QM2 in June. The location of the NuHotel is very near where we have stayed and where we will be in June. Love it! Restaurants and shops around. Cool Brooklyn things to do...especially the Transit Museum!!!! Not super-chic Manhattan, but very cool in a different way, and safe, safe, safe. In June we are in the apartment for 2 weeks and will use it as a base to explore and visit friends throughout the region. And we are very much looking forward to it. We have friends who moved from Oakland to New York a few years ago and did not even consider Manhattan, landed in Brooklyn and were very happy. Completely understood why.

Hi tv24,

Your post was so helpful! I am leaning in the direction of NuHotel but was not clear what was around the neighborhood.

On a side note, reviewing your cruise history, I see you have traveled well and in good digs! 😎

Thanks again.

Barbara

Dear Barbara,

From A Brooklynite, Welcome to Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights and Red hook Area (Brooklyn Cruise Terminal).

Staying at the Nu Hotel really puts you in a very interesting area. In the last decade, the area really is up and coming. Smith Street and also Courts. Very interesting restaurants, bistros and boutiques. Wonderful area to walk and investigate.

Also you are near the area of the famous Brooklyn Heights. Wonderful walk along the Brooklyn Promenade. Montague Street also interesting to investigate.

A short taxi cab ride will take you towards the Brooklyn Bridge, DUMBO area with many famous restaurants. Jacque Torres Chocolate Factory and many old Lot Buildings turned in to restaurants and shops. The famous River Café. An old area that was once Port Authority Piers for freighter has been changed into a new Waterfront Park and Amusement area.

Obtaining a good Brooklyn Guide or the Internet will give you a lot of information and suggestions.

Hi tv24,

Your post was so helpful! I am leaning in the direction of NuHotel but was not clear what was around the neighborhood.

On a side note, reviewing your cruise history, I see you have traveled well and in good digs! 😎

Thanks again.

Barbara

You're welcome, Barbara. Happy travel planning!

Hello

I have stayed at the NU HOTEL numerous times prior to sailing on the QM2. I have reservations for this coming September before sailing on September 7 on the Eastbound.

The NU HOTEL is in a fabulous location with numerous cafes nearby. I like BAR TABAC. I always feel safe in this neighborhood. As others have noted it is a short walk to the Brooklyn promenade and the wonderful RIVER CAFE with views of Manhattan. If you have never done it I highly recommend walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Its a great experience.

The hotel itself is small which is a good thing. The staff is great, very helpful and friendly. The rooms are all good but I would stay away from those close to elevators. The soundproofing is excellent otherwise. There is also free Wi-Fi and light breakfast. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor. Good luck.

Deck Chair

And if someone coming to Brooklyn wanted to have a great Brooklyn Pizza where might that be? ::D We will be there in September for our QM2 vacation.

From A Brooklynite..... (Depends where you will be lodging)

1. L.B. Spumoni Gardens - Bensonhurst Section - Best Sicilian square pizza that opened in 1939

2. Totonno's - Brighton Beach/Coney Island Section - Beloved old-school joint furnishing thin-crust coal-oven pizza to Coney Island crowds since 1924. One of the oldest...

3. Patsy’s Pizzeria - Brooklyn Heights Section - Local pizzeria chain serving brick oven since 1933.

4. Grimaldi's Pizza - Under the Brooklyn Bridge - Downtown Long time established wood oven pizza. Also oldest.

Are some of the best that Brooklynites gather at...Many of the oldest were started by those that worked at the pizza parlors that the owners originally came from overseas..

Edited by BklynBoy8

BklynBoy8:

You are a real find:cool:

To all of those who replied to my thread, wish you were going with.... my kind of people! Any more responses welcome. .. wrote down the pizza places, even though I am more of a sweet tooth; a good pizza will not go to waste! :evilsmile:

Thanks.

Barbara

BklynBoy8

I am more of a sweet tooth

Thanks. Barbara

Now you are talking a serious subject "Sweets"... Brooklyn knows that too.

But a visit to Little Italy and the shops down there are very interesting and interesting walk around. The Village is also a cool place to walk and nosh.

But there should be nice locations in Brooklyn Heights along Smith Street and also Court Street.

From A Brooklynite..... (Depends where you will be lodging)

1. L.B. Spumoni Gardens - Bensonhurst Section - Best Sicilian square pizza that opened in 1939

2. Totonno's - Brighton Beach/Coney Island Section - Beloved old-school joint furnishing thin-crust coal-oven pizza to Coney Island crowds since 1924. One of the oldest...

3. Patsy’s Pizzeria - Brooklyn Heights Section - Local pizzeria chain serving brick oven since 1933.

4. Grimaldi's Pizza - Under the Brooklyn Bridge - Downtown Long time established wood oven pizza. Also oldest.

Are some of the best that Brooklynites gather at...Many of the oldest were started by those that worked at the pizza parlors that the owners originally came from overseas..

Have also written them down. Thank you. For convenience sake probably will be staying at the Marriott by the Brooklyn Bridge????? It's been 50 years since I've had a east coast pizza. Can't wait.

Have also written them down. Thank you. For convenience sake probably will be staying at the Marriott by the Brooklyn Bridge????? It's been 50 years since I've had a east coast pizza. Can't wait.

Have to go to the right place no place else. Not too much cheese, thin, when folded it doesn't bend except at the tip.

Latest in NYC are not traditional pizza ovens but wood fired oven pies. That crispy and slight smoky taste to the crust. Yum!