W Seattle

Hello! I searched the forum and could not find anything on this hotel. We fly into Seattle early Saturday evening and will be staying at the W Seattle pre- cruise until Tuesday. Is this a good location? It will be my husband and my two children (ages 11 & 13) and we don't mind walking but we plan on taking the monorail to the Space Needle and Pop music museum and then I am thinking we can walk to Pike Place and Pioneer Square area. Also, I booked us a ghost tour in Pioneer Square on Monday evening. Is it safe for us to walk to/from hotel to Pioneer Square at night?

Thanks so much and for any tips. This is our first time to Seattle :)

The W Hotel is very well located on Fourth Avenue in the middle of the hotel zone. You're about 4 blocks from the monorail station at Westlake and around six blocks to the Pike Place market. Pioneer Square (depending on where you measure) is probably ten walking blocks from the hotel. (In Seattle the city grid layout is 20 blocks to a mile, so you can do the math.)

Downtown Seattle is quite hilly. There are fairly level routes to Westlake and the market; the route to Pioneer Square is mainly downhill going, uphill returning. Downtown is pretty safe at night, remember too that it stays light pretty late into the evening in the summer here. If I were you I'd nevertheless put the Uber app on my phone; it might help getting around.

Here's a map and "street view" image showing things. Use your mouse to "walk" along the streets to get a feel of how things are laid out. https://goo.gl/maps/W54SDoB9n6D2

The W Hotel is very well located on Fourth Avenue in the middle of the hotel zone. You're about 4 blocks from the monorail station at Westlake and around six blocks to the Pike Place market. Pioneer Square (depending on where you measure) is probably ten walking blocks from the hotel. (In Seattle the city grid layout is 20 blocks to a mile, so you can do the math.)

Downtown Seattle is quite hilly. There are fairly level routes to Westlake and the market; the route to Pioneer Square is mainly downhill going, uphill returning. Downtown is pretty safe at night, remember too that it stays light pretty late into the evening in the summer here. If I were you I'd nevertheless put the Uber app on my phone; it might help getting around.

Here's a map and "street view" image showing things. Use your mouse to "walk" along the streets to get a feel of how things are laid out. https://goo.gl/maps/W54SDoB9n6D2

Thanks so much! That is super helpful. I keep forgetting to keep in mind the hills...we live in Florida and my kids have no idea what walking up a steep hill is REALLY like!;p

• 2 weeks later...

Things around Pioneer Square can get a bit dicey, as there are a couple homeless shelters and more than a few folks sleeping in the street. Mostly closer to 2nd/3rd and James. Not where I'd walk at night.

"Night" and "evening" are different constructs. Twilight here can be pretty persistent in the summer. Like, not completely dark at 10 in June.

That said, with a group of four, I wouldn't hesitate too much to walk from Pioneer Square to the W after the ghost tour. Don't use alleys as shortcuts and use one of the numbered streets to get north of James Street before you turn east. The blocks immediately surrounding city hall have little to offer visitors at that hour and the numbered North-South streets will be livelier with locals and other visitors.

Things around Pioneer Square can get a bit dicey, as there are a couple homeless shelters and more than a few folks sleeping in the street. Mostly closer to 2nd/3rd and James. Not where I'd walk at night.

I have walked there at night several times and wasn't concerned.

I'm glad you had fun down there. Were you scoring H or meth ? The homeless population outside of the core downtown is a disgrace to this city. Makes me very glad I am only DT for work, as Even walking from Columbia Tower -> Safeco is pretty disgusting.

Thanks for the additional tips!

You mentioned 2nd/3rd and James being kinda dicey and I just looked that up and noticed that is where the Smith Tower is and I bought a groupon for there. Should that be a daytime activity? We fly in to Seattle about 4:40pm on Saturday and I was thinking we could have dinner and then go there since it gets dark pretty late in Seattle...not a good idea? We plan on going to the Space Needle the next morning.

My children are 11 and 13 and they are with us so we aren't really looking to score H or Meth..:p:')

Thanks!

Hello! I searched the forum and could not find anything on this hotel. We fly into Seattle early Saturday evening and will be staying at the W Seattle pre- cruise until Tuesday. Is this a good location? It will be my husband and my two children (ages 11 & 13) and we don't mind walking but we plan on taking the monorail to the Space Needle and Pop music museum and then I am thinking we can walk to Pike Place and Pioneer Square area. Also, I booked us a ghost tour in Pioneer Square on Monday evening. Is it safe for us to walk to/from hotel to Pioneer Square at night?

Thanks so much and for any tips. This is our first time to Seattle :)

We are doing exactly what you are doing- flying in from east coast on Saturday (landing around 6pm PST) and touring Seattle before getting on Legend on Tuesday... except we are sailing in August. Me, my hubby and 2 kids (11 and 14). I'd love to hear how everything went for you when you get back!!

We are staying near Pioneer Square area because we wanted to be closer to water taxi to West Seattle, Seahawks and Mariners stadiums, etc. We'll head to Space Needle and Science center one day and of course visit Pike Place market. I'd also like to head to top of Smith Tower (has a very cool 1920's art deco vibe that I really like) and also heading to the top of Columbia Center (which I have heard has better views than Space Needle and is right there on 5th Ave and Columbia Street near Pioneer Square section).

Ghost tour sounds interesting- I may have to look into that one. :) What else do you have planned?

Enjoy your cruise!

I personally wouldn't worry between 5:30 am and about 10pm or so. Between those hours, there's not a single block in Downtown Seattle I wouldn't walk with my 93yo grandmother in tow. After that, there's a few spots I'm just not in love with. That said, on days I don't bring the car on the ferry and stay out carousing until the wee hours, I wait at a bus stop at 2nd and Columbia (a couple of blocks from the area in discussion) at 1:10A or walk to the ferry terminal at Alaska and Marion with zero hesitation at 200AM.

I think your plans sound like great fun.

We are doing exactly what you are doing- flying in from east coast on Saturday (landing around 6pm PST) and touring Seattle before getting on Legend on Tuesday... except we are sailing in August. Me, my hubby and 2 kids (11 and 14). I'd love to hear how everything went for you when you get back!!

We are staying near Pioneer Square area because we wanted to be closer to water taxi to West Seattle, Seahawks and Mariners stadiums, etc. We'll head to Space Needle and Science center one day and of course visit Pike Place market. I'd also like to head to top of Smith Tower (has a very cool 1920's art deco vibe that I really like) and also heading to the top of Columbia Center (which I have heard has better views than Space Needle and is right there on 5th Ave and Columbia Street near Pioneer Square section).

Ghost tour sounds interesting- I may have to look into that one. :) What else do you have planned?

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks again, Vibeguy!!

Hi Smithkids! We are almost as excited for Seattle as we are Alaska!

Sunday morning we plan on taking the monorail over to Space Needle and the Mpop. Then we are taking the Duck Tour on Sunday which looks like a lot of fun and a great way to see the area. Also want to check out the Olympic Sculpture Park while we are in that area and husband wants to check out Bruce Lee's grave. Maybe also check out the Starbuck Reserve and Tasting Room.

Monday I want to get to Pike Place early. Of course grab my collector mug from the original Starbucks, head to Pier 52 and take the Bainbridge Island Ferry. Also would love to see the Klondike Gold Rush museum and already have my Groupon for Smith Tower (great deal if you haven't bought one yet!). Then we have a 6pm Ghost Tour at Pioneer Square from Spooked in Seattle. It also includes admission to their "Death museum" which my 13 year old thinks is cool but my son..not so much.

My husband and I are HUGE coffee snobs and craft beer lovers so we will be soo full of liquid the whole time in Seattle because I see soo many great options for both.:hearteyes:

My son is also really into aerospace so I would love to go to the Museum of Flight but I am not sure if we will have time. When we return from the cruise, the following Tuesday morning, we will stay at the Crown Plaza by the airport until an early Wed morning flight so maybe we will take the light rail Tuesday back and check in out then or any things we didn't get to see.

Vibeguy, or any other Seattle native, please feel free to add any input! :)

I'm, uh, some kind of a snob. Or so I'm told.

It is not possible to have a better-prepared cup of coffee than that at the Reserve Roastery. I say that as someone who does not otherwise drink Starbucks. I've had worse cups from Intelligentsia, Blue Bottle and Pouring Ribbons, to name a few. ProTip: if you drink espresso and they're not using the beans you're interested in at the main bar, the bar downstairs will be.

If you have a kid who is interested in aerospace and you don't go to the Museum of Flight while you're here, you're at risk of being reported for child neglect. The collection is as good as the Smithsonian Air & Space - no lie. It's a minor pain to get to with public transit but can be done. If you had a car one day I would also send you to Future of Flight & Boeing Factory Tour near Everett, which is really great. You might look at the economics of renting in downtown Seattle on your return day, and head immediately from there to Future of Flight, then MoFlight afterwards, then to the hotel, then drop the car at the airport. It wouldn't be the worst idea and may not be much more than an UberXL from the pier to the Crowne Plaza at the airport plus four bus/light rail tickets. Something to consider.

On Bainbridge, get ice cream at Mora, which is smack in downtown Winslow. Despite the fact that I call it the Iced Snobbery, the scoops are good and they're local. Pegasus Coffee roasts on the island and is worth a stop.

I'm, uh, some kind of a snob. Or so I'm told.

It is not possible to have a better-prepared cup of coffee than that at the Reserve Roastery. I say that as someone who does not otherwise drink Starbucks. I've had worse cups from Intelligentsia, Blue Bottle and Pouring Ribbons, to name a few. ProTip: if you drink espresso and they're not using the beans you're interested in at the main bar, the bar downstairs will be.

If you have a kid who is interested in aerospace and you don't go to the Museum of Flight while you're here, you're at risk of being reported for child neglect. The collection is as good as the Smithsonian Air & Space - no lie. It's a minor pain to get to with public transit but can be done. If you had a car one day I would also send you to Future of Flight & Boeing Factory Tour near Everett, which is really great. You might look at the economics of renting in downtown Seattle on your return day, and head immediately from there to Future of Flight, then MoFlight afterwards, then to the hotel, then drop the car at the airport. It wouldn't be the worst idea and may not be much more than an UberXL from the pier to the Crowne Plaza at the airport plus four bus/light rail tickets. Something to consider.

On Bainbridge, get ice cream at Mora, which is smack in downtown Winslow. Despite the fact that I call it the Iced Snobbery, the scoops are good and they're local. Pegasus Coffee roasts on the island and is worth a stop.

Thanks so much, Vibeguy, that's a lot of great info! I may look into the car rental the day we get off the ship, that does make more sense. I saw the Boeing Factory Tour and that looks amazing but unless we do it the last day, I just don't think we will have time. I am rethinking the Museum of Flight now. We have been to DC and the Smithsonian Air & Space but that also was a jammed packed trip and we didn't allow enough time to really see everything.

Ok, I just jumped into this thread. Tell me more about a view better than the space needle? I had planned on Space Needle, Chilluly Gardens, Mpop, Pioneer Square, plus a few others. Now you have peaked my interest with Columbia towers. More info please? We are staying at Marriott Waterfront in July and are coming in a two days early and one day after

Ok, I just jumped into this thread. Tell me more about a view better than the space needle? I had planned on Space Needle, Chilluly Gardens, Mpop, Pioneer Square, plus a few others. Now you have peaked my interest with Columbia towers. More info please? We are staying at Marriott Waterfront in July and are coming in a two days early and one day after

Here's the deal. There are several pay-to-play towers in Seattle with great views. The Space Needle is the most famous, also the most expensive and crowded. The view from the top is admittedly great - look at the webcam to see: https://www.spaceneedle.com/webcam/

Second is the view deck on the Columbia Center office building - http://skyviewobservatory.com/ . The Columbia Center is the tallest (black) building on the skyline.

Third is the Smith Tower, a 100+ year old building (Smith-Corona typewriters and LC Smith guns) in the Pioneer Square area. When it was built it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi. The Smith Tower has an outdoor deck with a 360-degree view of the city, as well as a pub/restaurant operation as well as the "Chinese Room" - filled with gifts to Mr. Smith from the Empress of China back in the day. http://www.smithtower.com/ The Smith Tower is the lowest of the three, but still offers great views of the bay, skyline, mountains...

These are all great places, but of course you can't SEE the Space Needle if you're IN the Space Needle; same with the others.

But Seattle also has a lot of places where you can see the skyline, mountains, ferries etc. - for free. Here are a couple of examples:

Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill, the "Frasier" view:

HDR-Trial-011010aS.jpg

Downtown from Harbor Avenue in West Seattle, reached by water taxi from downtown:

20091226_45s.jpg

... and many more. The benefit of these places (aside from the price) is that they're outdoors, accessible, and will get you away from the crowds while still being scenic and interesting.

So I took Vibeguy's advice and I just reserved an Avis rental car (by the Space Needle) for the Tuesday morning we get off the ship. We will Uber from the dock to the downtown location and then drop it off later at the airport where we will stay overnight at hotel until our early morning flight. I know there is National/Alamo/Enterprise at the Port with a kiosk but they had the $50 drop off fee and I heard the shuttle line gets backed up so I figured it was worth it to Uber/Lyft/taxi directly to Avis.

Husband now wants to drive out to Soundgarden. He mentioned it before and I told him it was too far out of the way but now that we have the car it is back on the itinerary. Is it worth checking out? I would imagine there will be a big Chris Cornell memorial there right now.

Here's the deal. There are several pay-to-play towers in Seattle with great views. The Space Needle is the most famous, also the most expensive and crowded. The view from the top is admittedly great - look at the webcam to see: https://www.spaceneedle.com/webcam/

Second is the view deck on the Columbia Center office building - http://skyviewobservatory.com/ . The Columbia Center is the tallest (black) building on the skyline.

Third is the Smith Tower, a 100+ year old building (Smith-Corona typewriters and LC Smith guns) in the Pioneer Square area. When it was built it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi. The Smith Tower has an outdoor deck with a 360-degree view of the city, as well as a pub/restaurant operation as well as the "Chinese Room" - filled with gifts to Mr. Smith from the Empress of China back in the day. http://www.smithtower.com/ The Smith Tower is the lowest of the three, but still offers great views of the bay, skyline, mountains...

These are all great places, but of course you can't SEE the Space Needle if you're IN the Space Needle; same with the others.

But Seattle also has a lot of places where you can see the skyline, mountains, ferries etc. - for free. Here are a couple of examples:

Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill, the "Frasier" view:

HDR-Trial-011010aS.jpg

Downtown from Harbor Avenue in West Seattle, reached by water taxi from downtown:

20091226_45s.jpg

... and many more. The benefit of these places (aside from the price) is that they're outdoors, accessible, and will get you away from the crowds while still being scenic and interesting.

Most Excellent. The other two buildings are awesome. So much history and the architecture is perfect for me. Love the old Daily Planet looking buildings. Thanks for the tips

Yes, _A Sound Garden_ is worth checking out, as are the other installations on the NOAA campus at Sand Point, and it's adjacent to one of my favorite installations, _The Fin Project: Swords Into Ploughshares_, a repurposing of nuclear "fast attack" submarine parts into a surprisingly powerful installation that strikes people very differently depending on their perspective.

The only complication is that I don't think you can access both Fin Project and A Sound Garden from the same parking lot anymore. You need to enter via the security gate at the NOAA campus. Navigate to 7600 Sand Point Way. You'll need similar ID to what you used to board the ship, and you'll get a parking pass as well as a map to the art walk. You need to arrive at the gate by 3:30pm - they open at 9 and close at 5, but you can't enter after 3:30.

Fin Project is a few hundred feet southeast of A Sound Garden, slightly closer to the lake.

I wouldn't describe either as particularly far off the beaten path - maybe a ten minute drive off the freeway depending on conditions.

I should add that if there isn't a noticeable breeze, _A Sound Garden_ is just a bunch of pipes.

You could visit _Black Hole Sun_ when you visit the Lee gravesite. It's in the adjacent park.