Extra gratuity for Butler and Housekeeper?

morneau

We can afford to cruise on Regent and sometimes we choose to do so. As often happens, the question asked by the OP has evolved into the usual discussion and touches on the idea that those who leave a parting tip create an expectation of tipping. I have given this some thought. We have had the same travel agent for 25 years. I have NO idea what her salary or commission% is and it is none of my business. We choose to sign on with her and have been totally satisfied. I keep hearing this recommendation about agent "rebates"......I'm not talking about benefits extended by the cruise line for agents to assign to clients but cash from an agent's own commission. Does this not create the same scenario where clients are expecting to be "tipped" or given a kick back? We see no difference whatsoever in this situation and would never hint at such a request to our agent. We have never, ever witnessed a crew member angling for a tip so I guess it can work both ways. I will now pause, thoughtfully, before I hit SEND.

I don't think that TC meant to come across as being condescending. I think she just could have phrased it better. I am one of those that fall into the category of can't really afford a Regent cruise but here I am ;p. I didn't take offense.

You are correct. Thank you for taking the time to understand what I was trying to convey. I really appreciate it - especially since the written word is easy to misconstrue.

Fizzy, IMO, your comparison between tipping and TA rebates is akin to comparing apples and monkeys. I seriously don't get it.

You are correct. Thank you for taking the time to understand what I was trying to convey. I really appreciate it - especially since the written word is easy to misconstrue.

Fizzy, IMO, your comparison between tipping and TA rebates is akin to comparing apples and monkeys. I seriously don't get it.

that's perfectly ok

...especially since the written word is easy to misconstrue.

While I don't entirely agree that the written word is easy to misconstrue, certain written statements are pretty clear, such as, "it is important to remember that not all Regent cruisers can afford to sail on Regent.".

One might suggest that some statements just beg to be called out for the rather appalling level of patronizing or condescending attitude portrayed therein.

Some words mean what they mean. That is not a matter of misconstruing them. It is quite simply a matter of acknowledging an imprudent statement for what it is.

Perhaps one might consider a simply apology for such a statement as a remedy for the matter.

While I don't entirely agree that the written word is easy to misconstrue, certain written statements are pretty clear, such as, "it is important to remember that not all Regent cruisers can afford to sail on Regent.".

One might suggest that some statements just beg to be called out for the rather appalling level of patronizing or condescending attitude portrayed therein.

Some words mean what they mean. That is not a matter of misconstruing them. It is quite simply a matter of acknowledging an imprudent statement for what it is.

Perhaps one might consider a simply apology for such a statement as a remedy for the matter.

It is fine for anyone to misconstrue my posts (our anyone else's). However, it is important to know when a statement is being misconstrued. This is definitely the case here.

I am a Regent cruiser who cannot afford Regent. I have chosen a job in my field as a public service provider rather a private practitioner, so my salary is 1/2 or 1/3 what it could be if I had chosen a different path.

But my family has been very generous and included us on 3 Regent cruises (so far!) that we would not have done otherwise.

So such an animal does exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a Regent cruiser who cannot afford Regent. I have chosen a job in my field as a public service provider rather a private practitioner, so my salary is 1/2 or 1/3 what it could be if I had chosen a different path.

But my family has been very generous and included us on 3 Regent cruises (so far!) that we would not have done otherwise.

So such an animal does exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course there are passengers like you and it is great that you have been able to sail on Regent. My misconstrued post was speaking to the fact that many passengers save their money in order to cruise Regent. If they were told on CC that tips were being given by most passengers (which I do not believe is the case), it would be adding a cost for something Regent clearly states is included.

Can I please chime in, we took a holiday/vacation to a luxury resort where tipping was included and we were informed "please do not tip the staff as if they are found accepting tips, they could lose their position"

This was instigated when it was discovered that tips were being offered/accepted and other clients level of service was suffering.

For instance, a busy bar, you have been waiting patiently for your turn, Mr X approaches and gets served immediately. Mr X tipped the bartender last night, so said bartender now looks after Mr X.

But for what it is worth, my thought is if someone has exceeded their remit on their job, then yes that person would possibly be worthy of a tip, but on the whole, if tips are included, I wouldn't, but we normally make a donation to the crew emergency fund.

Can I please chime in, we took a holiday/vacation to a luxury resort where tipping was included and we were informed "please do not tip the staff as if they are found accepting tips, they could lose their position"

But for what it is worth, my thought is if someone has exceeded their remit on their job, then yes that person would possibly be worthy of a tip, but on the whole, if tips are included, I wouldn't, but we normally make a donation to the crew emergency fund.

I agree if Regent doesn't want tipping they should state that to the staff and let them know if they accept a tip that will be the end to their job. That would stop it period-but since they don't, so until they do that-tipping will happen.

Regent crew members send money home - put their children through college (something that many people cannot do in the U.S.).

I feel blessed that my wife and I have never been on the lowest spoke of fortune's wheel. I served a career in the Navy - serving onboard many ships that visited ports where a high percentage of our Regent wait staff are originally from. When we as sailors went ashore, we probably had more money in our pockets than the average citizen saw in a month. An 'old salt' taught me to always respect the hostesses and waiters in the various haunts - and by that, it didn't mean adding a mere nickel to a $.25 beer and feel you are tipping 20%. If I told a server to keep the change from a $1.00, I was confident that that $.75 was far more valuable in his/her hand than my pocket.

When, or if, I see someone that is going out of norm to ensure my comfort; my time efficiency; my experiences, at that, or any previous time... I'll see if I can help relieve their distresses; to help them achieve their goals. There is an analogy about a man who throws starfish back in the ocean will never be able to make a significant difference because of the vast number of starfish on the beach. But for the starfish in your hand, you can make a vast difference...

I'll never want to appear to be an ugly American, but on this point; in private; I will always feel "That the more I have, the more I owe to those who benefit from my assistance."

I feel blessed that my wife and I have never been on the lowest spoke of fortune's wheel. I served a career in the Navy - serving onboard many ships that visited ports where a high percentage of our Regent wait staff are originally from. When we as sailors went ashore, we probably had more money in our pockets than the average citizen saw in a month. An 'old salt' taught me to always respect the hostesses and waiters in the various haunts - and by that, it didn't mean adding a mere nickel to a $.25 beer and feel you are tipping 20%. If I told a server to keep the change from a $1.00, I was confident that that $.75 was far more valuable in his/her hand than my pocket.

When, or if, I see someone that is going out of norm to ensure my comfort; my time efficiency; my experiences, at that, or any previous time... I'll see if I can help relieve their distresses; to help them achieve their goals. There is an analogy about a man who throws starfish back in the ocean will never be able to make a significant difference because of the vast number of starfish on the beach. But for the starfish in your hand, you can make a vast difference...

I'll never want to appear to be an ugly American, but on this point; in private; I will always feel "That the more I have, the more I owe to those who benefit from my assistance."

Unfortunately, no matter what our background is - no matter how much we contribute to charities or donate to others, tipping when it is not required or expected and in some cases is considered rude paints us as "ugly Americans". Even Regent suggests that those passengers that wish to tip should instead donate to the Crew Fund!

P.S. I would throw a starfish back into the ocean - do not fish as I cannot take a life (even for food), help out those less fortunate whenever possible but respect other people's cultures. If I had a motto, it would probably be something like "how dare 'us' think that the way we do things is better than the way it is done in the rest of the word". The first trip I took out of the country was to Costa Rica (land trip). At first I looked at their homes on stilts - small with few amenities (this was back in the 70's). By the time I left the country I realized that, in some ways, their country is richer than mine (not in terms of money). They grew their own food - have no army -- have a wonderful educational system that provide uniforms for students and most of them had a church nearby. They were by far happier than most people in the U.S. Food for thought!

Unfortunately, no matter what our background is - no matter how much we contribute to charities or donate to others, tipping when it is not required or expected and in some cases is considered rude paints us as "ugly Americans". Even Regent suggests that those passengers that wish to tip should instead donate to the Crew Fund!

P.S. I would throw a starfish back into the ocean - do not fish as I cannot take a life (even for food), help out those less fortunate whenever possible but respect other people's cultures. If I had a motto, it would probably be something like "how dare 'us' think that the way we do things is better than the way it is done in the rest of the word". The first trip I took out of the country was to Costa Rica (land trip). At first I looked at their homes on stilts - small with few amenities (this was back in the 70's). By the time I left the country I realized that, in some ways, their country is richer than mine (not in terms of money). They grew their own food - have no army -- have a wonderful educational system that provide uniforms for students and most of them had a church nearby. They were by far happier than most people in the U.S. Food for thought!

Well stated and aptly received.:)

This is a topic where we may just have to agree to disagree. I do not think of it as a tip, but a gift of gratitude for exceptional attention to detail...and perhaps a bit of "paying it forward" mixed in. Just as many on this thread, I have traveled extensively throughout the world and have never gotten the impression that a thoughtful and well meaning gift put me in the "ugly American" category. This is being posted without judgement and would appreciate that any response be offered in the same light.

For those seeking the advice and opinion of others, my suggestion is to follow your heart. I have zero doubt that the Regent staff will appreciate your thoughtful "thank you" with or without any additional money or gift. Wishing you all safe travels and calm seas!

This is a topic where we may just have to agree to disagree. I do not think of it as a tip, but a gift of gratitude for exceptional attention to detail...and perhaps a bit of "paying it forward" mixed in. Just as many on this thread, I have traveled extensively throughout the world and have never gotten the impression that a thoughtful and well meaning gift put me in the "ugly American" category. This is being posted without judgement and would appreciate that any response be offered in the same light.

I have to agree on this, it's up to the person and what they feel. If Regent truly did not want any crew to accept a gratitude, that would be pretty easy. All Regent has to do is make an employee rule, If you accept a gratitude from a guest on our ship-Regent will no longer employ you and your contract is over." That's all it would take and it would be over. However they don't-so that leaves it open for gratitude(s) if you wish. Rick

This seems to have come full circle once again. If you want to do other than what Regent recommends, don't talk about it ..... keep it to yourself (definitely not directed to anyone in particular) as it can be confusing to those new to Regent.

With all due respect, this is a message board for discussing a variety of topics. You may wish to "keep it to yourself", but others are perfectly capable of deciding when and when not to respond with their opinion. I certainly respect your right to voice your opinion, so please extend that same right to others. Even people new to Regent are capable of reading the various opinions and making their own decisions.

With all due respect, this is a message board for discussing a variety of topics. You may wish to "keep it to yourself", but others are perfectly capable of deciding when and when not to respond with their opinion. I certainly respect your right to voice your opinion, so please extend that same right to others. Even people new to Regent are capable of reading the various opinions and making their own decisions.

Yes - this is a place for discussion. However, when it come to some topics (tipping and dress code for instance) providing the poster asking the question with Regent's guidelines/policies is generally more prudent than having long arguments as to why a person does not need to follow the policies or how to get around them.

Yes - this is a place for discussion. However, when it come to some topics (tipping and dress code for instance) providing the poster asking the question with Regent's guidelines/policies is generally more prudent than having long arguments as to why a person does not need to follow the policies or how to get around them.

Thank you for your opinion. It is clearly not shared by all, but valued none the less. Wishing you calm seas!

Thank you for your opinion. It is clearly not shared by all, but valued none the less. Wishing you calm seas!

Thank you for your post. You are right it is one posters opinion. My husband and I agree with you. Don't let it bother you as you will not win with some posters.

I am relatively new here but have read many posts being a lurker and I feared becoming a member and voicing my opinion. We are Titanium and have always tipped our butler and nobody knows about it and it is none of their business.

We follow dress codes but at the end of the day we do what we want with our money and tipping and it is nobody's business.

From reading some of these boards some people have no other life but to post and answer all the time.

My husband and I are retired doctors and we thankfully are able to travel a lot and have other interests besides posting constantly on message boards.

Again, thank you for your post. We silent ones share your view.

An easy way to shorten these ongoing tipping threads would be for Regent to weigh in. Just because there is something somewhat ambiguous on the Regent website about tipping doesn't mean that Regent cares one way or the other, especially because there are, not infrequently, inaccuracies and ambiguities on the website.

As other posters have suggested, if Regent doesn't want tipping to take place management can simply tell passengers not to tip on these threads and on the website. Regent, for example, says the dress policy is no jeans at dinner and they enforce the policy. That gives a clear message. Regent does not say no tipping and they do not enforce a no tipping policy. So passengers will continue to do what they wish.

A major reason these repetitive threads go on and on is because someone can't seem to stop posting. If you want a ball to stop bouncing, then don't toss it. If you want the thread to end, then don't post again.

Regent's guidance, given in the FAQ section of their website, is to encourage donations to the Crew Fund. Regent reminds guests that gratuities are included, but does not prohibit tipping.

Therefore it is up to each guest to determine what they wish to do without pressure from others.

It is also an individual choice as to what information on this subject to share on this Board; again without reproach from others.

Personally, I have never seen a Regent employee 'hanging around' for a tip and would be very disappointed if I did.

Regent's guidance, given in the FAQ section of their website, is to encourage donations to the Crew Fund. Regent reminds guests that gratuities are included, but does not prohibit tipping.

Therefore it is up to each guest to determine what they wish to do without pressure from others.

It is also an individual choice as to what information on this subject to share on this Board; again without reproach from others.

Personally, I have never seen a Regent employee 'hanging around' for a tip and would be very disappointed if I did.

Flossie, we have never seen anyone hanging around for a tip either. We do it at the end of the cruise very discreetly with our butler and stewardess or anyone that has gone above and beyond their duties.

Well said. I agree with this interpretation of Regent's FAQ guidance. It simply does not preclude anything about tipping. If someone believes the FAQ should prohibit tipping, then deal with Regent management to get the wording changed. I simply don't understand the repetitive subtle or not so subtle reproach of people who tip.

If one wants to argue whether tipping is a good thing or not that would be a topic for its own thread.

I had decided to stop posting on this thread a little earlier today, but have now decided to add $10 to my tips for each post after this one on my next cruise on Regent (in November). Thank goodness that not only can I afford to travel on Regent, but can also afford to reward exemplary service.