Normal?

Hi guys,

First time on Regent, currently on navigator. Is it normal that on night 2 I still haven't met my steward? Mini bar not replenished, have called and given my preferences and 8 hours later still no drinks and they want me to attend a block party (what should I take to drink haha).

By the way, love the ship, food is awesome, great cabin ... just surprised by the impersonal service. Crew members rarely say hello when passing.

Thanks

James

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Absolutely not normal. We've never had our steward fail to appear the afternoon we boarded. Recently on Explorer, I don't recall ever passing a crew member without exchanging pleasantries. You need to talk to one of the staff officers. Since you've also been making requests (which haven't been honored), it's not like they just think you don't need anything.

In this case I would go directly to the General Manager's office and have a chat with him/her. This is not only unusual but is a fail in terms of customer service. Please make sure that you ask for another room steward/stewardess (whether you request the from the G.M. or the Head Housekeeper). Please do not let any more time go by before getting this rectified.

Thanks all for the replies. We are having a good time but thought the service levels would be superior to the main lines.

Even at dinner tonight the sommelier was upset that my wife wanted to try a couple of different reds and suggested she wait for a wine tasting seminar?!

They seem to expect you to drink only the daily choice of red or white which seems a little restrictive.

We will ask to have a chat to management tomorrow.

And those of you who have mentioned the vibration were not kidding - it was difficult to stay on your seat during the show.

Love the quality of food and furnishings.

Thanks again for the feedback

agree with all the posts above, both situations are not normal and need to be addressed as soon as possible. Contact the Head Housekeeper for the cabin issues and the F&B Manager regarding the wine.......there are always other choices available. The room steward should have stopped by and introduced him/her self the first afternoon/evening and discussed any particular needs with you, including your beverage choices. Hope these things get resolved soon so that you can relax and enjoy your cruise.

All of what has been described is just totally at odds with our Regent experiences. Anyone think this is due to some form of burn-out after finishing the world cruise?

We have spoken to a couple of passengers who are regulars and they also feel service is down and are hypothesising the same. In fact we have heard a few crew members mention this is their last cruise so it makes sense.

We met the f&b manager who agreed that the service level we received was unacceptable and will be rectified.

We are still having a great time so don't want to come across as upset or negative, just had higher expectations

seriously? I'm new to Regent as well and what you just said is the complete opposite of what I am expecting. I'm also booked on the Navigator next year and glad to hear you love the ship and the food.

We will be new to Regent too when we embark in January 2019 and this wouldn't be the level of service that we would be expecting, but on a positive note, I'm glad you love the ship and food.

We have spoken to a couple of passengers who are regulars and they also feel service is down and are hypothesising the same. In fact we have heard a few crew members mention this is their last cruise so it makes sense.

We met the f&b manager who agreed that the service level we received was unacceptable and will be rectified.

We are still having a great time so don't want to come across as upset or negative, just had higher expectations

The F&B Mgr/Director can fix the sommelier issue but what is happening with your unsatisfactory steward/stewardess? This should be discussed with the Head Housekeeper (at the least - I would speak with the G.M.). By the way, who is the General Manager on this cruise?

The F&B Mgr/Director can fix the sommelier issue but what is happening with your unsatisfactory steward/stewardess? This should be discussed with the Head Housekeeper (at the least - I would speak with the G.M.). By the way, who is the General Manager on this cruise?

The assistant manager came to the cabin with our steward and assistant steward. It was a little uncomfortable, she told us the steward should have introduced himself within half an hour of being in our cabin and we should have been shown around the suite and asked our preferences. Our report of the mini bar not being stocked as requested had been misreported. Strangely they still did not give us the suite introduction she suggested we should have received but at least both our enquiries have been acknowledged and responded to quickly.

Another passenger who travels regularly on Regent was shocked by what we had experienced and said in all their cruises they have never not met their attendant immediately and that usually they spend half an hour with them. I suppose we were unlucky.

All that said still enjoying our cruise.

Thanks for all the responses and information

James

Teamflames - would it be possible for you to expand on the vibration issue? What's it like in the restaurants and the big lounge at the back of the ship. Fortunately we have a cabin towards the front of the ship when we board later this year.

Hi Fletcher,

It is very noticeable at the rear. In the back bar the bottles rattle and make a lot of noise. Afternoon tea upstairs in Gallileo it was very noticeable. Obviously only when the engines are running.

Didn't notice it too much when dining but definitely when watching shows especially if sitting on a stool.

Our cabin was fwd so no vibration but very noisy when docking in the early mornings.

In general feel more movement than the larger cruise ships

You definitely feel more movement and vibration on the Navigator. The smoothest "ride" of all of Regent ships seems to be the Mariner followed by Explorer and Voyager (Voyager is quite "stable" but does have an aft vibration - not as much as the Navigator)

As some readers may recall, when the Navigator was doing the World Cruise, some said that she was "bobbing like a cork" in the water. IMO, doing the 2019 World Cruise on the Mariner is a great change on Regent's part!

Thanks teamflames for the info - a bit alarming but hope we will cope with it in the North Atlantic. The Navigator will be the biggest ship we've ever been on so maybe we won't notice it that much.

Thanks teamflames for the info - a bit alarming but hope we will cope with it in the North Atlantic. The Navigator will be the biggest ship we've ever been on so maybe we won't notice it that much.

It isn't the longest I have been on (only my second ship) but we too are sailing the North Atlantic on the Navigator in 2018. We are in PH 902 near the bow of the ship. I must admit the vibration coupled with the North Atlantic does concern me a bit.