First time cruisers

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

It depends on what cruise line you are booked on. Most cruise lines allow booking of excursions before you board on their website.

As to private excursions, we find those are very good options. It just takes some research. Some ports you can easily do on your own, without any tour, by taxi, public transit, or by simply walking.

We last had a travel agent book a tour for us in 1991. Can't think of many advantages to that.

Don't know where you are sailing to. Try looking for info here (Ports boards):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

to start your Port research.

I would say neither to your question.

Go on the ports of call subforum for where you're going and get recommendations for each port, or go on TripAdvisor/Google and look up excursions for each port. You will find lots of great things you can do at each port and see reviews and advise on each excursion. If you're still unsure, come back here to CruiseCritic and ask in the subforums and likely someone else has done those excursions can give you more in-depth advise on them. If it were 1987 and the Internet didn't exist, then I would maybe consider a travel agent as an option but it's 2017. :)

Hi

Were first time cruisers and was wondering how to go about booking excursions...whether to do it on ship or by travel agent... can any one give us some ideas thanks

:D

Because you are first time cruisers it's a good idea to book your excursions with the cruise line. This way if your tour is late returning to the pier the ship will wait for you.

If you return late on your own the ship will sail without you.

What ports are you visiting?

Do some research. Some ports are easily done on foot, if you're going to Europe or Canada.

Book the cruise excursions with the cruise line ahead of time, if you wait till you get on board they will be sold out.

We book a combination of cruise line tours and private tours. But, it is very important to research these companies to make sure they are reliable and will be able to return you to port with plenty of time.

Jonathan

Because you are first time cruisers it's a good idea to book your excursions with the cruise line. This way if your tour is late returning to the pier the ship will wait for you.

Jonathan

I am really confused about what these two things have to do with each other. A private tour will only return late with a first time cruiser?

The "miss the ship" threat is a bit of a hoax. Yes, you could miss the ship if your private tour returns late. But the private vendors stake their reputations on not causing you to miss your ship. Miss a ship once, and a private vendor might be out of business.

Hopefully the OP will do the recommended research on the ports boards, find the highly recommended vendors, and see there are no stories of private tour companies missing ships. Believe me, if there were actual "missed ships" by private vendors, it would be all over the ports boards.

Most of the time, I book my excursions through the cruise ships. Several lines have reviews when you click on their excursions. I find the reviews very helpful. I noticed RCL does not have reviews, so I read them by googling. Also, the section on CC with the ports is very helpful and you can read opinions on the excursions in specific ports. I think it's easier to book an excursion through the ship, but it's often more expensive.

For someone on their first cruise, it might be worth it because the ships will have tickets in your room with the excursions, the time you need to be at the meeting place, and where you will meet (such as somewhere inside the ship or on the pier). It is one less thing to have to worry about since everything will be a new experience.

For someone on their first cruise, it might be worth it because the ships will have tickets in your room with the excursions, the time you need to be at the meeting place, and where you will meet (such as somewhere inside the ship or on the pier). It is one less thing to have to worry about since everything will be a new experience.

Totally agree with the above!

You have enough to worry about on your first cruise without trying to book independent shore excursions.

Do it the "easy way" for your first cruise. :)

We started by doing all our excursions via the cruise line. Then some of both cruise line and private. Then all private and more "on our own". Upcoming Alaska we've booked one through the line in Sitka only because it includes transportation that guaranties they can handle a wheelchair. Otherwise it's all on our own using city bus services to taxi. But for first timers I would go with cruise line options and for subsequent cruises (if you get hooked on cruising) ease in to independence.