Crew missing ship?

smore98

We just came back from a 30 day cruise Tampa - Seattle (including Alaska) on HAL and one of the guys from the BB King band got left behind in Mexico.....I'm sure he was just having a good time. The band were finishing in San Diego anyway so not a big deal.

National annual rate is 8.2 per 1,000. On an Oasis class ship that would be roughly 32 per year. Granted this is across an entire population and ships would not include the more fragile segments of that group. Even so, one or two deaths per cruise does not seem unreasonable for larger ships.

National rate in what nation though? Cruise ships are populated with people from all over the world. Regardless, you would have to look solely at deaths among cruise ship passengers, while on cruises, to come up with any meaningful stats.

National rate in what nation though? Cruise ships are populated with people from all over the world. Regardless, you would have to look solely at deaths among cruise ship passengers, while on cruises, to come up with any meaningful stats.

I was told that the average for Princess is something like 1-2 per 1,000 per week. On our 33 night cruise on Diamond we were met be an ambulance (often more than one) and morgue vehicle most ports, on day 28 we were told, by the captain and medical officer that there had been eight deaths to date, now I concede that probably included those removed by ambulance who died soon after.

That cruise was said to have an average age of 76.

For the purpose of the point I was making, the statistic I used was quite sufficient. (I was suggesting that 1 - 2 deaths per voyage as suggested by another was reasonable.)

I used the US national rate as reported by the CDC.

Wikipedia cites a worldwide rate of ~7.89 per 1,000 per year according to https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html.

Looking at just cruise ship passengers would not produce any more meaningful statistics. Especially when one considers that they comprise far less than 100% of ship populations.

For the purpose of the point I was making, the statistic I used was quite sufficient. (I was suggesting that 1 - 2 deaths per voyage as suggested by another was reasonable.)

I used the US national rate as reported by the CDC.

Wikipedia cites a worldwide rate of ~7.89 per 1,000 per year according to https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html.

Looking at just cruise ship passengers would not produce any more meaningful statistics. Especially when one considers that they comprise far less than 100% of ship populations.

You guys can argue backand forth about the death rate among cruise passengers on an average cruise all day and night long without ever coming to a conclusion. Here is one fact that s absolutely 100% true.

If a crew member misses the ship because they died in port will never, ever work for that cruise line again.

Interesting - sounds a lot like ISO-9001 quality procedures for manufacturing. Basically you make the rules and then get audited to make sure you are following your own rules.

Yes, the ISM code usually results in an ISO-9001 certification as well. Then there is the ISO-14001 Environmental certification.

When I did the Ultimate Ship Tour on a Princess ship a few years ago, the ship's doctor said that he personally deals with somewhere around 3-4 passenger deaths a year while on board. Sure there are 3,500 passengers on a ship, but that doesn't mean that 0.8% of those passengers are going to keel over on every voyage.

If you take a theoretical ship that does weekly cruises with 3,500 passengers on board you would get around 182,000 different passengers aboard over the course of a year (give or take a few). If you assume around 8 deaths per 1,000 people and that each person who is going to die in that particular year has a 1/52 chance of dying on the week they are aboard the ship, that would give you around 28 passengers dying on a voyage (not necessarily on board) in a given year.

If you figure on a crew of around 1,500 passengers with each one averaging around 6 months and accounting for crew turnover you'd end up with around 4,500 crewmembers on a ship in a given year. If you take the same 8 per 1000 number, and figure on each crew member averaging 6 months aboard you'd end up with 18 crew deaths using the same logic. Then again, crew members are generally going to be much younger than the passengers and less susceptible to the conditions that might kill a passenger, so the actual numbers are going to be less than that.

If you assume a ship has two doctors aboard and each of those doctors is working approximately four months at a time aboard (typical for high-ranking crewmembers), you'd have six different doctors who might be dealing with patient deaths on the ship, which would spread out those 28 deaths across six different doctors. There's also going to be some of those deaths that won't be on board the ship (passengers might die while ashore or be transferred to onshore medical facilities or a medevac before passing) which will reduce the numbers further. There are a number of other factors to account for, but it is highly unlikely there will be 1-2 passengers dying aboard the ship on every single voyage.

When I did the Ultimate Ship Tour on a Princess ship a few years ago, the ship's doctor said that he personally deals with somewhere around 3-4 passenger deaths a year while on board. Sure there are 3,500 passengers on a ship, but that doesn't mean that 0.8% of those passengers are going to keel over on every voyage.

If you take a theoretical ship that does weekly cruises with 3,500 passengers on board you would get around 182,000 different passengers aboard over the course of a year (give or take a few). If you assume around 8 deaths per 1,000 people and that each person who is going to die in that particular year has a 1/52 chance of dying on the week they are aboard the ship, that would give you around 28 passengers dying on a voyage (not necessarily on board) in a given year.

If you figure on a crew of around 1,500 passengers with each one averaging around 6 months and accounting for crew turnover you'd end up with around 4,500 crewmembers on a ship in a given year. If you take the same 8 per 1000 number, and figure on each crew member averaging 6 months aboard you'd end up with 18 crew deaths using the same logic. Then again, crew members are generally going to be much younger than the passengers and less susceptible to the conditions that might kill a passenger, so the actual numbers are going to be less than that.

If you assume a ship has two doctors aboard and each of those doctors is working approximately four months at a time aboard (typical for high-ranking crewmembers), you'd have six different doctors who might be dealing with patient deaths on the ship, which would spread out those 28 deaths across six different doctors. There's also going to be some of those deaths that won't be on board the ship (passengers might die while ashore or be transferred to onshore medical facilities or a medevac before passing) which will reduce the numbers further. There are a number of other factors to account for, but it is highly unlikely there will be 1-2 passengers dying aboard the ship on every single voyage.

Actually it's not unlikely at all, yes he may deal with 3 or 4 a year, but what about the multitude of others who are taken off the ship, by ambulance and due in, or even on the way to hospital, I guess there is some sort of claim that because they are off the ship they're no longer on the cruise.

I was on a ship last year ,the all aboard for passengers in one port was 4:30,the crew had a 4:00 time . The ship was still in port at 4:40 when 3 crew members were literally running from the entrance to the port to the ship .These were not officers.